Dash cams

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Kieran Huggins

mark y
Grand Poobah

Re: Dash cams

Postby mark y » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:34 am

A bit of follow up; I returned my failed DOD LS430 camera (it was my fault) to the Canadian repair center. It took a few emails back and forth but they replaced the entire cam at no charge.

Here's a brief sample..... (make sure you watch fullscreen in HD to see the quality of the video)

http://youtu.be/bVz99N9uOx4

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:50 am

Wow. Turn left when unsafe. Great quality. Im really thinking about getting one of these for my car, and getting it wired in to turn on automatically.

Stinger
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Stinger » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:46 pm

I got a DOD LS 330W. Works awesome. Quality is great!

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Stinger wrote:I got a DOD LS 330W. Works awesome. Quality is great!
I was just looking at them on the the website. I may pull the trigger on that myself.

Stinger
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Stinger » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm

If you look at Futureshop or Bestbuy they are extremely overpriced.

I can PM you the site I got mine at taxes in around $180 while futureshop is selling them at 200+

Paul R
Grand Poobah

Postby Paul R » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Anybody have/use the Garmin Dashcam20? A co-worker has one and it looks great. Very clear on 720 (to maximize card storage) but can also shoot 1080. Picks up anything that headlights illuminate at night very well. I'm thinking of using tax money to buy one. Costco had (out of stock) the best deal going at $205 with a 32gb card included.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."

mark y
Grand Poobah

Postby mark y » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:Wow. Turn left when unsafe. Great quality. Im really thinking about getting one of these for my car, and getting it wired in to turn on automatically.
I have mine wired into a switched circuit on my truck, so it starts up and shuts down automatically. Works perfectly.

If you get someone to wire yours in, just note that you can NOT cut off the lighter plug and simply wire the power/ground directly to 12 volts - you will blow up the camera (guaranteed). The lighter plug has a voltage converter in it to convert the 12volts down to about 5 volts. You have to rig the power plug to connect to switched power. Easiest is to buy a loose power socket with pigtails (loose wires) and then simply plug the camera's power plug into the power socket, and wire the pigtails from the socket into a switched outlet on your car.

Some vehicles have ignition-switched 12v power sockets ('lighter' sockets), which even makes it easier. I didn't like the wires hanging all over my window and dash, so I got all mine routed through the headliner and down the A pillar to the fuse box. The benefits of having your own personal technician. :)

I'm very happy with the LS camera and would buy another one again in a heartbeat. Future Shop has the LS430W for $189. The newest is the LS460W but it's $100 more. I don't really see the benefit of the 460W, but then I haven't seen it in action, only read the specs.

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:14 pm

mark y wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:Wow. Turn left when unsafe. Great quality. Im really thinking about getting one of these for my car, and getting it wired in to turn on automatically.
I have mine wired into a switched circuit on my truck, so it starts up and shuts down automatically. Works perfectly.

If you get someone to wire yours in, just note that you can NOT cut off the lighter plug and simply wire the power/ground directly to 12 volts - you will blow up the camera (guaranteed). The lighter plug has a voltage converter in it to convert the 12volts down to about 5 volts. You have to rig the power plug to connect to switched power. Easiest is to buy a loose power socket with pigtails (loose wires) and then simply plug the camera's power plug into the power socket, and wire the pigtails from the socket into a switched outlet on your car.

Some vehicles have ignition-switched 12v power sockets ('lighter' sockets), which even makes it easier. I didn't like the wires hanging all over my window and dash, so I got all mine routed through the headliner and down the A pillar to the fuse box. The benefits of having your own personal technician. :)

I'm very happy with the LS camera and would buy another one again in a heartbeat. Future Shop has the LS430W for $189. The newest is the LS460W but it's $100 more. I don't really see the benefit of the 460W, but then I haven't seen it in action, only read the specs.
Good to know, thanks. The wife won't want any exposed cords or cables, but I think I can pop off some trim and peel back some headliner as you suggest. As for the wiring, our new vehicle does have switched power sockets, should make that easy.

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:17 pm

I posted a picture of the step down transformer that I used on page 2 for your reference.

I wired mine into the auto dimming rear view mirror circuit.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Lively1
Rookie Member

Postby Lively1 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 pm

I was in 3 not at fault MVC's in 5 years where the other driver lied (big surprise) ...I have one now. Nothing's happened since, but it's cheap insurance.

Johnny Leaver
Rookie Member

Postby Johnny Leaver » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:46 am

Yeah, should get one. You never know what can happen. As they always say "Better to have and not need than to need and not have."

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:35 am

I sold my old RDX (where the page 2 picture install was taken). The buyer wanted my camera included in the deal and wasn't knocking me down in price, so I figured sure.

I bought my new MDX and ordered another camera online. While it was in shipping, didn't a t-bone collision happen directly in front of my vehicle at an intersection. All parties were OK, but boy was I mad that after 3 years of having the old dash cam, I captured nothing. The moment I don't have it, an accident happens in which my evidence could have helped the not at fault party. :banghead:

I got another DOD by the way. Great cameras IMO.

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby Hoodwinkle » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:47 pm

ryan.p wrote:
What model DOD did you buy?

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:
ryan.p wrote:
What model DOD did you buy?
DOD LS330w. No GPS since I don't really think I need that feature.

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby Hoodwinkle » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:34 am

Thanks Ryan...been tossing that one and the Garmin they sell at Costco....that one has the GPS though.