Dash cams

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Kieran Huggins

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Dash cams

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Ryan, where did you get it from? Just saw it on futureshop.ca for $240.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:01 pm

meathead1 wrote:Ryan, where did you get it from? Just saw it on futureshop.ca for $240.
PM'd.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

AnthonyK
Seasoned Member

Postby AnthonyK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm

ryan.p wrote:I have a DOD LS300W in my personal vehicle. After seeing that mainstream fraud on the 401 where a car reversed into a fully stopped vehicle and than attempted to extort the driver, I decided to spend a few bucks and help protect myself and my wife.

I love this cam. After much online research, it was the best cam under $150 that I could find based on user review. Full 1080p and great low light performance.

Below is a picture of my install. I'm kind of an electronics hobbyist and wanted a clean install (no cigarette lighter adapter with wires hanging down). I ran the cable cleanly up behind my roof console and tied it into my rear view mirror power. When the car comes on, the mirror comes on, hence the camera starts. Same with when we turn the car off.

Hey Ryan - nice setup!

How big of an SD card are you running in there? How many hours can you go driving before it's full?

When you plug it into your computer for download, does it have each clip broken up by time/date, or would it be on long continuous file of all xxGB's of data?

Also interested in where you picked it up for that steal of a price.

erichweiss
Seasoned Member

Postby erichweiss » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:43 pm

meathead1 wrote:Ryan, where did you get it from? Just saw it on futureshop.ca for $240.
I'd be appreciative of that information as well, if you don't mind..

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Hey,

I purchased it from the vendor "eprance" that was recommended on dashcamtalk.com (where I did a bunch of research on different cam setups). He has an ebay and amazon account as well where I gauged his past sales.

I know it would be of violation to post a direct link to him, but if you search "eprance dod ls300w" it will bring you to his website. Good news, it actually looks the camera is on sale for $135.00 down from $151. Obviously, do your own research on the vendor, but my cam was shipped as promised and doesn't appear to be a knockoff (or a damn good one by the quality it records!)

I'm running a 64gb card and get about 10 hours of 1080p video at 30fps. I have it set to 2 minute loops. You can also do 5 minute loops. The really great part about this camera versus the cheap $50.00 ebay cameras is that the loops are seamless. The cheaper cams have a 1-2 second delay which could render the camera useless if you actually caught something you needed in between loops.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Sorry, I should note that anyone wanting to tie their dash cam into their vehicle power (like I did), most dash cams run on 5v dc.....not 12v. You will fry the cam hard wiring it to 12v if it's a 5v input.

You will need a step down transformer for this. They are dirt cheap.

erichweiss
Seasoned Member

Postby erichweiss » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:05 am

thanks!

AnthonyK
Seasoned Member

Postby AnthonyK » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Much appreciation Ryan!

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 am

No problem,

Another little tip that might help, when tapping into your vehicles power for anything, you may want to consider the use of 3m's splice connectors. They install in-line without any wire cutting or stripping, and most importantly, they UNINSTALL only leaving a small nick in the vehicle wiring insulation. I have a new RDX and certainly didn't want to be cutting and splicing any vehicle wires. Just ensure that you are buying the proper size connector for your wire size.

Before anyone jumps on me for using these connectors, I KNOW this isn't superior to a proper solder joint. I solder low voltage components all the time at work.....and for permanent installations, that is the only way to go. Dashcams are generally not permanent and will be removed at one point. I wanted the least amount of damage to the vehicle as possible and a tiny nick in the insulation is the easiest to repair when it comes to removal.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:11 pm

For my install, in both work trucks (Flatbed and One Ton Tow), I use Mini Fuse Power Tap with Tab (see pic below) in a fuse that comes on with ignition (radio is usually a good choice), then a ring terminal to attach to a good ground... Start the truck, the camera turns on, shut off the truck and the camera turns off... You never need to worry about the camera overheating or killing your battery!

For my personal vehicle, it's a Dodge, so they are pretty smart giving you both constant power and ignition power outlets! 8)

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:48 pm

I would imagine if I took a camera in to, say, Best Buy or FutureShop, they would be able to wire it up like that? Or am I way out on this?

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:44 pm

meathead1 wrote:I would imagine if I took a camera in to, say, Best Buy or FutureShop, they would be able to wire it up like that? Or am I way out on this?
Or bring a bottle to the guy that does equipment installs for your fleet.

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 pm

If only it was that easy. I work for a larger service.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

meathead1 wrote:I would imagine if I took a camera in to, say, Best Buy or FutureShop, they would be able to wire it up like that? Or am I way out on this?
I believe they do offer that service... if you purchase the equipment from them?

Maybe a better alternative is a shop that only does audio / security / remote starter installs... Lots of those around, they might even have a camera you like!
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 pm

A stand up member on here is sending me one that I am interested in for me to try out. If I like it, I'll get it hard wired into my truck, but I have no idea how to do that myself (I'm just a cop, remember?)

However, this leads me to another question- does anyone have a good place they could reccommend to have something like this done? Preferably Mississauga/Oakville area.