Apple TV or Roku 3?

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Re: Apple TV or Roku 3?

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Looking for some opinions on a streaming TV device...Apple or Roku.

I'm leaning on the Roku because, it's not Apple...but, wondering if anyone has experience with either unit and what their thoughts are.

The Roku3 @ $100 is a good choice. Gives over 1k of channel choices. Dual band, ethernet port, Usb port, head phone jack (in case the TV doesn't).
Last edited by Dave Jenkins on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

I have Apple TV and love it. Never heard of the other one so can't really compare it .
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:16 am

I had apple TV didn't care for it much. Took it back. I like Google's Chromcast. Pretty much like an apple TV but far less cost. Still has hiccups though.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:42 am

The only reason I'm big on Apple TV is the ability to airstream from my iOS devices to my TV. Great for watching youtube videos. As far as using any other features.....not sure.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Google's chromecast is only $35. And you can stream off your iphone too.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:16 am

Stinger wrote:Google's chromecast is only $35. And you can stream off your iphone too.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Molson
Rookie Member

Postby Molson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:15 am

Stinger wrote:Google's chromecast is only $35. And you can stream off your iphone too.

Only 35 if you buy in the states. 60 or so here.

CBK

Postby CBK » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:08 am

I just hooked up an older computer I had laying around to my TV. Wireless mouse and keyboard, sign up for what ever services if you want Netflix etc, watch youtube and what ever else there is. There is even a way to watch most American channels if you wanted to.
The computer doesn't even have to be that great. I use one that is 10+ years old and it works fine. You might need a newer graffics card if you want HD tho.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Molson wrote:

Only 35 if you buy in the states. 60 or so here.

I ship to the US and cross over and pick packages up. I try to buy everything in the US cause it's cheaper.

KevinH
Grand Poobah

Postby KevinH » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 am

CBK wrote:I just hooked up an older computer I had laying around to my TV. Wireless mouse and keyboard, sign up for what ever services if you want Netflix etc, watch youtube and what ever else there is. There is even a way to watch most American channels if you wanted to.
The computer doesn't even have to be that great. I use one that is 10+ years old and it works fine. You might need a newer graffics card if you want HD tho.

We've been doing this for years, with an OTA antenna. Add an UnblockUS subscription for $4 a month and all of the US is accessible. Haven't paid a cable/satellite bill since.