Blackberry Playbook

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.
Gard
King Poobah

Re: Blackberry Playbook

Postby Gard » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Have you checked any Cyber Monday prices?

I can't see the iPad coming down much in price but that's a pretty sweet price for the Playbook.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Rugger
Rookie Member

Postby Rugger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:16 pm

I just bought the IPAD 2 for my wife at best buy for 475ish.

The main reason I went IPAD over the playbook was its integration with our existing Ipod's and Iphones, as well as "apps" that were more expansive then blackberries. But the dealer also said they were cheaper because they were comming out with a new version next year and were trying to dump their stock.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Picked one up as soon as I saw the price. Yes, I've already said my piece about why I like my Blackberry, but when I've got to sit in a car watching a bush not walk away for 12 hrs, the fact that I can use my BB's data/email etc without having to have a tethering plan or phone with mobile hotspot is pretty sweet. Played around with them and they're pretty cool. Definitely not an iPad etc but apparently RIM claims they're adding more functionality including Android apps with a major OS update in February.

martyr
Rookie Member

Postby martyr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 pm

It's so cheap because RIM is in the sh1ts.

They're losing the smartphone/tablet race so quickly, they're boarderline bankrupt.
Their OS is not the best, mine is crashing all over the place, texts not getting through, browser crashes.. 4s in a few days!

York
Rookie Member

Postby York » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 am

For those interested, it's on sale right now at The Source.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=1716101

I have one and I'm highly satisfied with it. As the other poster said, the software update to 2.0 that should be released in February is going to make it compatible with all of the Android apps. So, an OS that's more stable and secure than Android, with all of the apps of Android = great deal with these huge discounts that are going on.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Yep, the Playbook is totally worth the money i paid for it - and more. Currently i'm sitting in a car making sure some bushes don't move anywhere surfing the web. It's pretty sweet to just use my phone's data plan to get full web access on top of just being able to watch movies/play movies otherwise, and not have to have a separate plan for the tablet.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Anyone currently have one? Reviews/opinions?

I lean to the apple products but, I can't overcome the price tag of $519 for the iPad compared to $199 for the Playbook.

go for the kindle fire.. when it comes to Canada.
!!!2008!!!

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:I ended up buying 2 for Christmas at the 199.99 price. If the price of an iPad was the same, I'd go for the iPad. That said, the PB is a great little tablet so far...better than buying a netbook computer and the PB shows webpages better than the iPad...I can view the page exactly as on my PC and I can watch flash videos. It has a similar video calling function as FaceTime. I don't own a BB phone so I'm not worried about pairing a BB calendar, contact list or what have you.

I'm satisfied with the purchase...for a fraction of the cost of an iPad, the PB can't be beat IMHO.

I never really looked into this... I thought that it relied on a Blackberry device to function. :?
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

York
Rookie Member

Postby York » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:35 am

Respond Wayne wrote:I never really looked into this... I thought that it relied on a Blackberry device to function. :?

Doesn't need to be paired with a BB. You can bluetooth it with any phone for internet when WiFi isn't available.

It's going back down to $199 during boxing week at Staples, The Source, and Walmart. At that price, it beats the Kindle Fire which has half the storage space.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:23 am

Interesting... and long time no see! :wave:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:40 am

Kindle Fire has been beset with problems with sluggish performance and other issues. Not worth the money.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:57 pm

I might buy the playbook on boxing day. I have blackberry and like it. I can't see myself go to apple.

Its 199 for 16G and 249 for 32G. I wonder if 16G will be enough for movies and a few files/pictures.

The price is right at 199.