Samaritan First Response & Rescue Service

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Samaritan First Response & Rescue Service

Postby Mike Edgerton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 am

Hello everyone,
the last discussion on my service was based off a news article from a few years ago and a number of things have changed since then and this article answers a few questions raised and adds some new info. I am also here to answer any questions anyone may have about how the service operates now.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ ... terborough

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Samaritan First Response & Rescue Service

Postby mack_silent » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 am

According to the news artice:
...if volunteers come across a crash, they still stop to people calm and apply first aid, if needed, until emergency crews arrive.

1. The news article quotes your team as having "Canadian Red Cross Level C first aid and CPR training"
-What level is the volunteer teams' first aid training? (IE: standard, emergency, etc. - "level C" refers to CPR only)
-Do you believe your current level of first aid training is sufficient to be safely rendering first aid to automobile accident victims?
-What is the 1st and most important thing your volunteers should be saying to automobile accident victims upon arrival on site?

2. Does your volunteer team have liability insurance?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Postby Mike Edgerton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am

Members have a verity of training levels from basic emergency f/a and CPR to standard f/a with HCP, I still don't know why they quoted "Red Cross" as the manditory, any recoginized certification is fine.
-We have some of our more dedicated personnel involved with training working towards their EFR certification.
-We really don't render aid at accident scenes, we provide scene protection and assessment unless it is very minor where emergency services are not required (minor cuts and scraps) we can wash and bandage people, we also advise everyone at MVA's to seek medical attention from their family practitioner or the hospital.
-the first thing volunteers or required to do at MVA's as per our protocols is introduce themselves "Hi I'm Mike, I'm with Samaritan First Response & Rescue Service can I help you"
-Unfortunately the cost of registering a non-profit and getting charity staus to issue tax receipts and a lack of funding due to this reason we are unable to provide insurance for our personnel, however unless gross negligence is determined I assume full responsibility for all operations by the service, excluding events where we are put under the insurance of the event to provide f/a services.

Molson
Rookie Member

Postby Molson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 am

wow.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Mike, PM sent, with suggestions for your team.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Are those blue led's in the grill?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Postby Mike Edgerton » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 pm

We only use amber/white

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:19 am

mack_silent wrote:Mike, PM sent, with suggestions for your team.
Like spell check?
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 am

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Postby Mike Edgerton » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:19 am

I have been looking at joining the paramedic program, even if I did however I would still want to run my service to help small events and anyone who needs it if emergency services can't respond or before they arrive. What I am running in the grill is a white LED that looks a little blueish (don't ask me why they look that way), they are Alpena quad slim strobes sold at Canadian Tire and Walmart

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 pm

...really? this again....?
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 am

Floydie wrote:...really? this again....?

It seems to pop up every so often. It appears as though Mike Edgerton is seeking approval from members on this forum again.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Mike Edgerton
Rookie Member

Postby Mike Edgerton » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:27 am

I never said anything about seeking approval, I know there is always going to be people that dislike and disapprove of what I do. I just wanted to let everyone know about the new article, that we know have a good working relationship with local police (and EMS), that we have moved mainly into event first-aid from mainly traffic related matters, to answer questions about the service and if anyone has some suggestions that may be feasible to our service that our senior personnel could discuss implementing. While I may not agree will all suggestions I will be listening to everything reasonable, as such if you would like to discuss anything with just me feel free to send a pm like mack_silent did.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Go away.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Not to be rude, but I own a medium size company and would never, in a million years have an organization such as yours provide assistance at any company event. Providing first aid service without any liability insurance is absolutely nuts and would put my company at direct risk of litigation if they couldn't sue you.

I understand you said you take responsibility but honestly, you don't even have enough money to register a non-profit and insure yourself. How are you going to settle any lawsuit arising from the actions of you or your staff?

I also think you would have an uphill battle citing the good Samaritan act as a full release from litigation. You are actively promoting your service and group, irregardless of them being "volunteer". You aren't simply a passer-by who is required to render aid during an emergency or accident that you just happened to witness. You are being retained by events to provide a service and I assume will be responding to various "calls" during these events. What happens if a volunteer hurts themselves while working for you? Do you provide them WSIB coverage? I assume not.

You're playing with fire.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |