Question for Land Border CBSA folks out there...

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Question for Land Border CBSA folks out there...

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 pm

This is a strange case but this line from the article caught my attention.
Two weeks passed before immigration officials in Canada and the US were able to confirm that Roman was eligible to return to Canada.

It seems reasonable to me that USCBP would initially detain her because they could not identify her since she had no documentation with her. That is SOP in Canada as well. Why it took two weeks to confirm she was allowed to return to Canada is the question I would be asking.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:25 am

IrishCop wrote:Could this really happen, I would have thought that in this particular case the border patrol would have applied common sense, gave her a warning and let her be on her way.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/22/jogger-detained-us-border-cedella-roman-immigration-ordeal

Just looking at that area on Google Street View... there are SO MANY places in that area you could accidentally cross into the USA if you didn't know any better... why is there not any better signage... or even better... a Border Wall... :P
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

IrishCop

Postby IrishCop » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:42 am

Respond Wayne wrote:
IrishCop wrote:Could this really happen, I would have thought that in this particular case the border patrol would have applied common sense, gave her a warning and let her be on her way.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/22/jogger-detained-us-border-cedella-roman-immigration-ordeal

Just looking at that area on Google Street View... there are SO MANY places in that area you could accidentally cross into the USA if you didn't know any better... why is there not any better signage... or even better... a Border Wall... :P

Given that we in The Land Down Under have no international based land borders, the study of the Canadian/USA border makes interesting reading, especially the history on how it was established. :|