Federal Election

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
gotchya
Rookie Member

Re: Federal Election

Postby gotchya » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:03 am

Von wrote:Our record in government has not lived up to the expectations that people had when we were first elected in 2006, and it has not lived up to the expectations that we have set for ourselves, providing that you aren't a complete partisan hack.

Understatement of the year, for a party who got elected on transparency they've see to have done an about face.Here is some food for thought.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

RCMP37
Rookie Member

Postby RCMP37 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:36 pm

gotchya wrote:
Von wrote:Our record in government has not lived up to the expectations that people had when we were first elected in 2006, and it has not lived up to the expectations that we have set for ourselves, providing that you aren't a complete partisan hack.

Understatement of the year, for a party who got elected on transparency they've see to have done an about face.Here is some food for thought.

So you think the Harper Government spent allot and put our country into more debt, then why did Canada have the strongest economy during the 2008 world recession? Just imagine the debt we will be in if the Liberals are in power, its not hard to figure that one out, just look at Ontario.

gonqgrad
Sage Member

Postby gonqgrad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:48 pm

RCMP37 wrote:
gotchya wrote:

So you think the Harper Government spent allot and put our country into more debt, then why did Canada have the strongest economy during the 2008 world recession? Just imagine the debt we will be in if the Liberals are in power, its not hard to figure that one out, just look at Ontario.

Our resistance to influences in the 2008 recession is a throwback from the Martin Government, which resisted the trend in loosening mortgage regulations which took place in the US. We never allowed the kind of interest-only mortgages and subprime mortgages that were issued south of the border. We also didn't permit the large scale bundling of mortgages into asset-backed commercial (ABC's) papers that led to the large-scale credit meltdown in the US. ABCs were the financial industry's response when they realized that the mortgages they issued were worth less than nothing. By bundling them into ABC's, bankers reduced investors' ability to actually verify the collectability of individual loans and verify the value of the underlying assets. They then sold these assets to other institutional investors which spread the liability of these mortgages throughout the economy and triggered the "meltdown".

It had nothing to do with the Tories. In fact, the Tories, by introducing zero down and 40 year mortgages, briefly introduced Canada to similar risks, but they pulled the plug and narrowly averted a similar crisis in early 2008.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:49 am

RCMP37 wrote:So you think the Harper Government spent allot and put our country into more debt, then why did Canada have the strongest economy during the 2008 world recession? Just imagine the debt we will be in if the Liberals are in power, its not hard to figure that one out, just look at Ontario.

What does provincial politics have anything to do with federal politics? Different kettle of fish entirely.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:54 am

gonqgrad wrote:
RCMP37 wrote:So you think the Harper Government spent allot and put our country into more debt, then why did Canada have the strongest economy during the 2008 world recession? Just imagine the debt we will be in if the Liberals are in power, its not hard to figure that one out, just look at Ontario.

Our resistance to influences in the 2008 recession is a throwback from the Martin Government, which resisted the trend in loosening mortgage regulations which took place in the US. We never allowed the kind of interest-only mortgages and subprime mortgages that were issued south of the border. We also didn't permit the large scale bundling of mortgages into asset-backed commercial (ABC's) papers that led to the large-scale credit meltdown in the US. ABCs were the financial industry's response when they realized that the mortgages they issued were worth less than nothing. By bundling them into ABC's, bankers reduced investors' ability to actually verify the collectability of individual loans and verify the value of the underlying assets. They then sold these assets to other institutional investors which spread the liability of these mortgages throughout the economy and triggered the "meltdown".

It had nothing to do with the Tories. In fact, the Tories, by introducing zero down and 40 year mortgages, briefly introduced Canada to similar risks, but they pulled the plug and narrowly averted a similar crisis in early 2008.

+1

Canada was the only country in the G7 in recession recently. The notion that the conservatives are going to "protect the economy" is more apparent than real. They ran eight consecutive deficits, only to hit surplus because they decided to liquidate assets (i.e. GM stocks).
ImageImage

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:56 pm

gotchya wrote:Canada was the only country in the G7 in recession recently. The notion that the conservatives are going to "protect the economy" is more apparent than real. They ran eight consecutive deficits, only to hit surplus because they decided to liquidate assets (i.e. GM stocks).

Funny how when the Conservatives balance a budget you and Liberal believers are quick to criticize them for how they did it. I am glad they sold GM stock. The government shouldn't be in the business of buying stocks in car companies to bail them out because they can't conduct business properly.

I hope you are not tacitly suggesting that Trudeau JR or Tommy the Commie would be better at balancing budgets? Trudeau substitute taught DRAMA not mathematics. He is a great actor, which is why the politically uneducated masses will vote for him, but he is a terrible person to have as a leader. "The budget will balance itself". I wouldn't want someone with that idiotic mindset running a coffee shop let alone our nation.

RCMP37
Rookie Member

Postby RCMP37 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:46 pm

gotchya wrote:

What does provincial politics have anything to do with federal politics? Different kettle of fish entirely.

I don't agree that its a different kind of kettle at all, the Liberals have continually proved themselves to be the most irresponsible with our nations money, Kathleen Wynn only wasted 1 billion dollars of Ontario's money on the gas plant scandal, and what does Ontario do...give them a majority government, now you got Wynn backing Trudeau, just wait to see the downward economic spiral our country will be in if Trudeau gets elected, not hard to see, look who his father was. I do believe Canada also has the wealthiest middle class out of any country in the world but if you think the LIberals can do a better job then go ahead and vote for that moron and roll the dice on the Liberal party.

RCMP37
Rookie Member

Postby RCMP37 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
gotchya wrote:Canada was the only country in the G7 in recession recently. The notion that the conservatives are going to "protect the economy" is more apparent than real. They ran eight consecutive deficits, only to hit surplus because they decided to liquidate assets (i.e. GM stocks).

Funny how when the Conservatives balance a budget you and Liberal believers are quick to criticize them for how they did it. I am glad they sold GM stock. The government shouldn't be in the business of buying stocks in car companies to bail them out because they can't conduct business properly.

I hope you are not tacitly suggesting that Trudeau JR or Tommy the Commie would be better at balancing budgets? Trudeau substitute taught DRAMA not mathematics. He is a great actor, which is why the politically uneducated masses will vote for him, but he is a terrible person to have as a leader. "The budget will balance itself". I wouldn't want someone with that idiotic mindset running a coffee shop let alone our nation.

Fully agree Punisher One

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:31 pm

We'll we're fucked. Liberal Jesus is at the helm.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Funny how when the Conservatives balance a budget you and Liberal believers are quick to criticize them for how they did it. I am glad they sold GM stock. The government shouldn't be in the business of buying stocks in car companies to bail them out because they can't conduct business properly.

The issue isn't that they sold GM stock, the issue is that they say they balanced the budget because of their fiscal management. They sold off assets to balance the budget, assets that could not be re-sold next year, thus a deficit was/is likely.

Punisher-One wrote:I hope you are not tacitly suggesting that Trudeau JR or Tommy the Commie would be better at balancing budgets? Trudeau substitute taught DRAMA not mathematics. He is a great actor, which is why the politically uneducated masses will vote for him, but he is a terrible person to have as a leader. "The budget will balance itself". I wouldn't want someone with that idiotic mindset running a coffee shop let alone our nation.

Except Harper ran the second LARGEST deficit in Canadian history and did so for six of his ten years in powers.

What exactly is you definition of fiscal prudence?

Under the Liberals in the previous decade they ran surpluses.

EDIT: Mulroney (another Conservative) takes the case LARGEST deficit (77.8 billion in 2015 dollars, Harper only manage -61.27).
Last edited by gotchya on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:45 pm

RCMP37 wrote:I don't agree that its a different kind of kettle at all, the Liberals have continually proved themselves to be the most irresponsible with our nations money,

While in power Harper ran six deficits of the ten years in power. The liberals before ran ten consecutive surpluses. I don't see your point you're going to have to clarify.

Kathleen Wynn only wasted 1 billion dollars of Ontario's money on the gas plant scandal, and what does Ontario do...

Dalton cancelled the gas plant, not Wynn. And yes it was a shit show, but again what does provincial politics have to do with federal politics.

RCMP37 wrote:I do believe Canada also has the wealthiest middle class out of any country in the world but if you think the LIberals can do a better job then go ahead and vote for that moron and roll the dice on the Liberal party.

What do you mean by "wealthiest" and "middle class" these terms are thrown around like they have universal meaning, but they are up for debate.

If it means anything, under Harper our standard of living has dropped to somewhere at around 15, under the Liberals it was like #1 at one point.
Last edited by gotchya on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Punisher-One wrote:We'll we're fucked. Liberal Jesus is at the helm.

The only thing worse would be Mulroney at the helm, and the next worse thing would be Harper.

The numbers don't lie.
ImageImage

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:49 pm

The idea that Conservatives are the great stewards of the economy is utter nonsense. I don't understand why some seem to cling to that idea when the evidence clearly demonstrates otherwise.

"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:

The idea that Conservatives are the great stewards of the economy is utter nonsense. I don't understand why some seem to cling to that idea when the evidence clearly demonstrates otherwise.

According to the article I just read, the economy numbers under Mulroney were a result of the disastrous economic policies of Pierre Trudeau, which directly led to two major recessions. The upticks under Chretien arguably had more to do with the policies of Mulroney.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill