Federal Election

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
gotchya
Rookie Member

Re: Federal Election

Postby gotchya » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:43 am

History has long discredited left wing economic theory.

What the hell is the "left wing economic theory"?

That leaves the Conservatives, who despite common assertions by some LEOs of being opposed to all public sector unions, are objectively the only political group who reliably have any respect for Law Enforcement. As a member of many other online communities, the same conversations, values and sentiments being shared in Conservative circles are shared here and in other LEO gatherings. In a world increasingly antagonistic towards those who protect and serve, the right is one of the only friends you have.

RCMP officers only had to take him all the way to the supreme court to get the right to engage in meaningful collective bargaining. A true "friend" indeed, what kind "friends" do you hang around with?

Their economic policy has been mostly good, and without a question the country has weathered the economic storm better than any other western country under Harper's watch. The Conservatives support lower taxes, individual responsibility, individual rights, and respect for authority.

What exactly did they do to weather the storm? I mean they racked up the largest deficits in Canadian history, and weren't even fighting a world war? They ran 8 consecutive deficits, accrued more debt in than ever before, and you're boasting about their economic management prowess?

Perhaps, I'm a little hazy one economics but a recession is not a sign of good economic stewardship.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

gonqgrad
Sage Member

Postby gonqgrad » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:41 am

Economic theory in general has left a little to be desired. However, certain conservative economic models and concepts have now been thoroughly discredited. Reaganomics, or Trickle Down Economics, is a great example. Many conservatives believe that if you provide tax cuts to business it results in economic stimulus in the form of job creation and increased investment by business. The reality has been that it leads to greater corporate profits. There is also a school of thought that it suppresses investment because as investment goals can be met more easily because taxes represent a smaller overall burden.

Corporate Welfare, another conservative (and liberal in Ontario :roll: ) mainstay, is another theory that in practice accomplishes little. If you need examples, look no further than Leamington, London or Oshawa, as Heinz, Kellogg's and GM have had little issue cutting jobs after receiving sizeable amounts of corporate welfare.

The reality of this particular brand of conservatism is that they took a sizeable surplus upon entry to office and have squandered all of it. They also spent $3B of of Canada's contingency fund to "balance" this year's budget. That's basically like taking your emergency fund and paying off your credit cards after a day at the mall. They've made sizeable cuts to corporate tax and nominal cuts to personal income tax despite these deficits. As a result of these changes, our tax-base is supported more by individuals than by corporations than ever before. We're no better off for any of these changes. We have also added $150 B+ to our national debt. Anyone who believes in the soundness of Harper's economic management needs to go back to school.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Time to reshuffle the Canadian political deck of cards. While I agree with much of what the CPC has done, I don't often agree with their tactics. http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/08/10/Ha ... wer-Final/ We'll have a minority government for a short time and the sky will not fall. All but the most strident CPC supporters should recognize that if the CPC gets a wake up call and then ends ends up forming the next majority government, we'll all be better for it.

Kudos to gonqgrad's last two posts. :thumbsup:
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 pm

I hate to say it, by why can't Paul Martin just be Finance Minister again?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:57 am

But the context was a little different, in the 1990s we were in a debt crisis our debt rating was getting cut. Were there some hard cuts? Yes, but we were also facing a federal budget crisis.

What exactly was the federal budget crisis Harper faced? We had a decade of surplus and could have paid down large amounts of our debt, and thus had more money for direct programs spending because that money didn't need to go to servicing the debt.

Instead this government has adopted a "low tax plan", well the economy is in the pits and we've enjoyed eight years of deficits and a lot more debt.

So, yes Martin did some things that may have sucked, but there was a crisis with our federal government's budget, what was Harper's excuse?
ImageImage

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:39 am

Last edited by mleo87 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go_leafs_go

Postby go_leafs_go » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:18 am

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/tom-m ... -1.3196461

Tom Mulcair promises $250M for 2,500 new police officers
NDP government would resurrect the Police Officer Recruitment Fund, Mulcair says in Surrey, B.C.
Aug 19, 2015 5:08 PM ET

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:23 pm

I think the behaviour of the Cons lately has spoken to how they've become extremely arrogant because of their success and forgot who their supporters are. They're biting the hand that feeds them by alienating law enforcement and military/vet types, traditionally their staunchest supporters. If you have LE members and vets questioning whether to vote conservative in THIS country, there's something extremely wrong.

It's going to bite them hard in the ass come October. I just hope it doesn't bite them so hard that all of Canada suffers under the loony left in the form of vapid manchild Turdeau or terrorist loving commie Mulcair.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Longarm9 wrote:I think the behaviour of the Cons lately has spoken to how they've become extremely arrogant because of their success and forgot who their supporters are. They're biting the hand that feeds them by alienating law enforcement and military/vet types, traditionally their staunchest supporters. If you have LE members and vets questioning whether to vote conservative in THIS country, there's something extremely wrong.

It's going to bite them hard in the ass come October. I just hope it doesn't bite them so hard that all of Canada suffers under the loony left in the form of vapid manchild Turdeau or terrorist loving commie Mulcair.

Believe me when I say that there's no shortage of Tories who are deeply alarmed by some of these trends. The recent Ontario election was a violent wake up call for the PCs when the OPP started campaigning against us. Before he was elected leader, I had a conversation with Patrick Brown, who said that in 2011 he had the support of his local police, other emergency responders and the nurses union, and asked why the Ontario PCs were not being supported by this group.

Know that many of us are opposed to any actions that alienate our only public servants who are actually earning their paychecks(military, police, fire, ems & other front line service providers), unlike the useless left wing bureaucrats sitting behind desks thinking of new ways to screw hard working taxpayers.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Last edited by mleo87 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Everyone needs to vote Libertarian.

I noimate myself. :mrgreen:
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 am

Longarm9 wrote:Everyone needs to vote Libertarian.

I noimate myself. :mrgreen:

With voter turnout on the decline, everyone needs to vote Dictator Party, I say I be the Supreme Czar.
ImageImage