Charcoal BBQing

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Aberdee
Rookie Member

Charcoal BBQing

Postby Aberdee » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Charcoal BBQing, love it. Anyone have any tips on how to light the coals? I tend to use brickets vs. charcoal. Always have a hard time getting an even burn.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Charcoal BBQing

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Do a Google search for "charcoal chimney". No lighter fluid required, just a couple sheets of newspaper, and they work great. Get the biggest one you can find. The smaller ones are fine for a small BBQ but not really sufficient if you're cooking for more than 2 or 3.

I like lump hardwood charcoal myself, I think it produces a cleaner flavour. Also, try experimenting with wood chips if you haven't already. They seem expensive but a small bag will go a long way. A little mesquite or hickory smoke is a beautiful thing!
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 pm

x2 on the wood chips. In addition to the above, I like to use apple or cherrywood.

if it's a big hunk of meat like brisket or pork shoulder, I dig out the Jack Daniels wood barrel oak chips. Oh mama!
Hired Goon

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm

The charcoal chimney is the way to go for starting coals. Try and stay with hard wood and not brickets. To much man make crap in them. I dropped gas grilling about 4 years ago, never looked back. It's more work but well, well worth it!

Slow roasted ribs, brisket or as we did this week end a 6 lbs prime rib roast. :thumbsup:

Ps. Wood chips will bring it to a whole new level. Try and experiment , have fun.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 am

After years with a broken down gas grill, we bought a nice Napoleon this summer. It's gas but for about $45 you can get an insert for half the grill that takes charcoal, so it's the best of both worlds. To start the charcoal you just turn the gas on under it for a while! It has a smoker compartment too for wood chips. Going to have to get one and try it out.

toomuch
Rookie Member

Postby toomuch » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:48 am

GW I have one. Prepare for it to take longer than advertised to ignite, and to rust completely after the first use.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Ah, really? That's disappointing, but since it's cast iron it's going to rust all to crap in no time, that's for sure. But for $45 I guess you can't expect too much.

You know, I bet I could go down to the Metal Supermarket and buy a piece of stainless, bend it roughly to shape, drill a pile of holes in it and use that. Actually, I have a couple of those stainless grill-top things for small items, that might even work if it fits.

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:12 am

The only true bbq is a charcoal bbq. The flavour, the art, the skill of slow smoking or searing and fire starting....how can you not want that?!

I've tried that chimney thing and it would just frustrate me. The coals on the bottom would light up and the ones on top wouldn't. So I"d have half of my charcoal on fire and the rest just lying on the grill. Now, I prefer lump charcoal over briquettes. You get a higher and more intense heat. Having said that, I just use lighter fluid. Now I've heard the whole "chemical smell" stories. But it's never happened to me. I light my coals and let them burn for a good 15min and there is never a smell. I also throw in wood chips when I'm direct grilling, too.

Now, I have an offset smoke box, too. So when I smoke I just light my coals, throw in my hardwood (depends on the meat I'm slow smoking) and a few hours later I got a great tasting pork butt or brisket.

Go charcoal, my friends!

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Just as an FYI, tonight we are having a slow roasted Leg of of lamb done over a hardwood/charcoal bbq :alright:

Aberdee
Rookie Member

Postby Aberdee » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:48 am

Charcoal chimney, awesome... I feel like I am in the dark ages using lighter fluid and pyramid stacks, hah.

What do you guys/gals think of this one? It is available and cheap.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rapidfi ... ter/918657

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:26 pm

IMO , they all work the same, I just use paper on the bottom. In 10-15 mins the coals are ready to go.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Yup, that one looks fine. They are all basically a metal tube with holes and a handle.

One bit of advice is not to stuff too much paper in there, two sheets of newsprint loosely crumpled up is all that's required. And give it a couple shakes, every 5 mins, while you wait. Monitor it closely with a cold beverage for safely sake.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Molson
Rookie Member

Postby Molson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 am

Even better than paper which ashes up is grab a pack of the "organic" fire starters. I toss one under the chimney and open a beer. Works every time, even in the wind.

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah

Postby Borderwatchman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:20 am

I don't know how you guy do it. That thing was nothing more than a waste of money and a pain in the ass for me.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:18 pm

If you love barbeque and have ever visited Jamaica and got off the beaten path to search out authentic Jamaican Jerk, then you know wonderful and unique it is! And if you've then tried it anywhere else you how difficult it is to recreate that flavour. I've been somewhat successful over the past couple years and although mine is not quite as good, it's best I've had off the island. I do butterflied whole chickens and have done pork shoulders up to 8-10 lbs. The secrets are; pimento wood, hardwood charcoal, and a proper marinade (overnight) made with freshly ground pimento berries and good quality ingredients.

Pimento wood:
http://shop.pimentowood.com/main.sc;jse ... qscsfapp06

Primer on jerk:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/lear ... maica.html

My marinade is based on this one but with fewer Scotch Bonnets depending on who I'm cooking for:
http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/ ... hicken.htm
Some good authentic side dishes on that site as well.

The smell of this cooking is incredible and will drive your neighbors mad!

Cold Red Stripe and Appleton Rum are required.