Computer Stuff

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Computer Stuff

Postby basketcase » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Well I went to install a new hard drive (2TB Seagate 64MB Cache) in my computer today and somehow managed to corrupt my Windows 7 installation. I've tried everything, including disconnecting the new drive, and the computer won't boot past the Starting Windows screen.

So now I'm stuck with two hard drives that have a ton of info on them and one that doesn't have anything on it and I can't get into Windows. I've tried to fix the boot and system repair, system restore all of that good stuff and nothing.

I'm looking to grab a Solid State Drive now. I'll re-install Windows to the Solid State drive, set up the 2TB drive and just attach the other two drives one by one to grab the information off of them later. I guess that'll have to work. Anybody have any experience with this?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Re: Computer Stuff

Postby Stinger » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 am

Get a mac.

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 am

Stinger wrote:Get a mac.

x2
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 am

X3, best move I ever made with a computer.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 pm

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/windows- ... 936286.htm

One of these may allow you to recover the files on the hard drives, looks like bit defender may work.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:33 pm

basketcase wrote:Well I went to install a new hard drive (2TB Seagate 64MB Cache) in my computer today and somehow managed to corrupt my Windows 7 installation. I've tried everything, including disconnecting the new drive, and the computer won't boot past the Starting Windows screen.

So now I'm stuck with two hard drives that have a ton of info on them and one that doesn't have anything on it and I can't get into Windows. I've tried to fix the boot and system repair, system restore all of that good stuff and nothing.

I'm looking to grab a Solid State Drive now. I'll re-install Windows to the Solid State drive, set up the 2TB drive and just attach the other two drives one by one to grab the information off of them later. I guess that'll have to work. Anybody have any experience with this?

Call Eric. He works for beer. Helped me out a few times.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 pm

meathead1 wrote:
basketcase wrote:Well I went to install a new hard drive (2TB Seagate 64MB Cache) in my computer today and somehow managed to corrupt my Windows 7 installation. I've tried everything, including disconnecting the new drive, and the computer won't boot past the Starting Windows screen.

Call Eric. He works for beer. Helped me out a few times.

Oh he's on to me.

As for the Mac people.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I can't build my own Mac. I can build my own PC.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:02 am

I'd go with your plan if I were trying to recover files. I always run my OS on a sole dedicated HD.

Mutt
Rookie Member

Postby Mutt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:33 am

Since you build your own PCs, you should have the skills for this. You don't have to buy a new drive for this. Its gunna be a bit of a pain but it''ll safe you a few bucks or beer.

1. Get on another PC and download Ubuntu and install it to USB to boot up you system. Instructions below.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows

2. Install all your HDs and set your BIOS to boot from USB as the primary.

3. Plug in the Unbuntu USB and boot up. Ubuntu has all the stuff to copy your files to the new 2TB drive and its quite easy to navigate. Don't copy your OS.

4. Rest your Bios back to a normal boot sequence.

5. Format your C: drive and re-install windows.

That USB boot-able version of Ubuntu will be a godsend for future issues.

ETA: Guess I should have checked out MC07's link first. My bad. Carry on.
Not the Red One!!! Don't EVER push the Red One!!!

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:13 am

You should check where windows is looking for itself when it boots. It may be checking the wrong drive. It may be something as simple as a BIOS setting telling the computer to boot from a different drive.

You could also put your windows CD in, and have the PC boot from CD and try to fix settings after that.

Worst case, reinstall windows to a new drive as you said and recover your files that way. Sometimes a fresh windows installation is good for your PC anyway!

Edit: Sorry, I now see this happened on Saturday so I may be late to the party. I am a hobby PC builder too, and have built numerous systems. Windows can be a pain but don't listen to the Mac sheep, Macs are designed to be replaced every few years and are uber expensive. When you want a new PC, its as simple as upgrading Motherboard, CPU, RAM and sometimes video card - voila. A completely rebuilt system for less than a grand.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:50 pm

basketcase wrote:
As for the Mac people.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I can't build my own Mac. I can build my own PC.

Get a bestbuy card. Put the macbook on payment plan no interest $100 a month. Paid off DONE!!

You will thank me later.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Stinger wrote:
basketcase wrote:

Get a bestbuy card. Put the macbook on payment plan no interest $100 a month. Paid off DONE!!

You will thank me later.

Or I can not spend more money for stuff I don't need and just keep my PC. The ipad and iphone is good enough for me :)
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 pm

It's never enough!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 am

Stinger wrote:
basketcase wrote:

You will thank me later.

Go past the time allotted and pay 28.8% interest on the ORIGINAL balance, regardless of how much you have paid off
K division.

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Stinger wrote:
basketcase wrote:

You will thank me later.

Go past the time allotted and pay 28.8% interest on the ORIGINAL balance, regardless of how much you have paid off

That's why you do the math before and pay it off before the promo period ends. That's what I do.