TACTICAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES (TEMS) MEDIC

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
KRASHED
Rookie Member

Postby KRASHED » Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=65957

Organization: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Division: Ontario Provincial Police
City: Bolton, Kingston, London, Orillia, Thunder Bay
Job Term: 8 Temporary (one year contract)
Job Code: C0085 - TEMS Medic, FSB
Salary: $1,413.61 - $1,691.20 Per Week
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 65957
View Job DescriptionView Job Description

What can I expect to do in this role?

The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Ontario Provincial Police, seeks qualified personnel to provide emergency medical care and support to members of the public and to OPP members at OPP tactical incidents in a pre-hospital environment that may be in a remote or urban setting under the medical license and supervision of the OPP Physician.

This competition will be used to fill current vacancies in Thunder Bay, London, Kingston, Orillia and Bolton, but will also be used to create a pool of candidates province wide for future vacancies.

How do I qualify?

Mandatory
Ability to pass an OPP background security investigation.

Current certification in Advanced Care Paramedic according to the Ambulance Act of Ontario.

Ability to maintain certification as an Advanced Care Paramedic with a local base hospital and with the OPP Medical Program.

Licensed as Advanced Care Paramedic and currently employed and continue to be employed as a full-time Advanced Care Paramedic with an ambulance service in Ontario to ensure familiarity and comfort with required medical procedures.

Must maintain an emergency patient care role at their EMS service. Any other roles (administrative, training, community paramedicine) which do not include regular emergency patient care will make them ineligible for the OPP TEMS program.

Ability to pass physical fitness testing.

Available to respond to calls for service within 30 minutes (average 2 per month).

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Position requires knowledge of emergency medical care methods, procedures and techniques of Advanced Care Paramedics (ACP), such as, administering approximately 20 different medications, performing surgical airways, intravenous therapy, intubation, placing external jugular IV lines, performing needle decompression, performing synchronized and chemical cardioversion, transcutaneous pacing, performing limited obstetrical assessments, providing chemical pain relief from trauma and reverse hypoglycemic states.

Position requires knowledge of medical instruments and equipment to perform endotracheal intubation procedures using laryngoscope, Magill forceps, and mechanical ventilation devices to operate defibrillators to restore heartbeats. Knowledge of physiological and pathophysiological principles, anatomy, pharmacology and pharmakinetics to evaluate and document signs and symptoms for life support care by using medical and pharmaceutical formats and terminology. Knowledge of pharmaceutical products to administer a range of high risk medication (e.g. narcotics/analgesics, antiarrythmia agents) and to calculate dosage (e.g. calculate flow rates of IV and oxygen).

Position requires knowledge of relevant ministry/OPP policies and procedures and relevant sections of the Ambulance Act and Regulations of Ontario, Mental Health Act, Highway Traffic Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act to provide medical care and support.

Position requires written communication skills using medical terminology to record information and update reports concerning patient condition and approved medications administered. Oral communication skills to communicate to patients, peers, OPP members, OPP Physician and other emergency medical personnel from the scene and in transit.

Position requires interpersonal skills to work with a multi-disciplinary team (e.g. provide status of patient condition, confirm direction from OPP Physician on drug administration, patient care procedures) and to reassure injured/ill patients during transit and when administering treatment.

Position requires analytical skills to assess and confirm a patient's medical condition, to recommend treatment, to identify indications and contradictions in a patient's condition (e.g. deterioration of patient, vital signs dropping; allergic reactions to medications); and to assess multiple patient situations to establish priority of treatment and to determine whether to request additional assistance.

Evaluative skills to determine a patient's condition based on patient presentation and vital signs and response to basic/advanced life support medical care treatment (e.g. CPR, oxygen treatment, heart defibrillation, symptom relief medications) and when to advise other TEMS medics for assistance and/or contacting the OPP Physician to receive further medical treatment instructions.

I have never heard of TEMS before. They fall under the OPP umbrella by the looks of things. In doing some research i'm seeing that there are tactical EMS units that coordinate with various ERT, ETF and SWAT forces. In the states they are armed. Has anyone ever heard of these guys before? Sounds like a pretty intense job to have (not that I would ever qualify)

Pretty interesting training video of armed South African TEMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV8HO9wnvsc

OPP TEMS
http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=63
Ontario Police Constable

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: TACTICAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES (TEMS) MEDIC

Postby basketcase » Wed May 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Yup. Guy on my shift was one before coming to the OPP on a road job. They're not armed and it's a gig that's attached to TRU for the OPP.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Sly
Rookie Member

Postby Sly » Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm

I have heard about various agencies having a similar resource available. The idea appears to be working its way north from the United States.

Here is a video from Saskatoon Police that I found.
http://www.police.saskatoon.sk.ca/index.php?loc=videos/arv.php
I cant find any written information on what Saskatoon is doing, but I believe it is a fairly new response option that they integrated with EMS.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Peel Regional Paramedic Service has some Tactical Paramedics too that the Peel Regional Police make use of.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Everyone makes use of them, Wayne. They are just paramedics. Other than the bulletproof vests some of them wear and the bloused pants, I don't know what the hell makes them "tactical".

My wife is a trauma ICU nurse, who works on her hospitals Critical Care team. She has a BScN degree. It would take her 3 MORE years of school to become an advanced care paramedic.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 am

It would be a good gig if you're already an ACP and looking for another challenge in your career.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 am

We've had these for years.

Most are also CBRN/PSU cross trained as well.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 am

meathead1 wrote:...I don't know what the hell makes them "tactical"...
Subdued shoulder flashes.

:twisted:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 am

Tactical:

Tacticool:

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu May 08, 2014 11:44 pm

meathead1 wrote:Everyone makes use of them, Wayne. They are just paramedics. Other than the bulletproof vests some of them wear and the bloused pants, I don't know what the hell makes them "tactical".

My wife is a trauma ICU nurse, who works on her hospitals Critical Care team. She has a BScN degree. It would take her 3 MORE years of school to become an advanced care paramedic.

Aye, I only see the "TAC Ambulance" now and then, I'm not even sure how many of them there are... I hear them doing radio checks on PRP's system as a "Medic" unit once in awhile.

That sounds pretty crazy, 3 more years to learn how to drive an Ambulance and find the best places to park around the Region? :smirk:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm

"3 more years to learn how to drive an Ambulance and find the best places to park around the Region? :smirk:"

while doing it in a "TACTICAL FASHION"......Que the swat theme song lol
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 pm

meathead1 wrote:My wife is a trauma ICU nurse, who works on her hospitals Critical Care team. She has a BScN degree. It would take her 3 MORE years of school to become an advanced care paramedic.

Ontario will grant ACP equivalency to RNs with experience as Primary Care Paramedics ... so only two more years of school and some time on ambulance ;)

The clinical environment in which a paramedic works and the decision making processes are substantially different from that of an RN. Two jobs that require a lot of the same base knowledge and skills but yet are completely different.
:wave: