Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
blue98saturn
Rookie Member

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby blue98saturn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:11 pm

noanykey wrote:I get techs all the time, some I see almost every meet.. some I rarely see.
I believe they're on rotation. You may not start off as one.

What you do start off is on-call/casual at $16ish an hour. It's a tough move over when its like that, especially with mortgage, car, bike, bills, etc..

Most of the part timers that I have had interactions with so far, have another gig on the side. I myself have a full time job and then just give Brinks availability surrounding my part time job which works out very nice for me as I work 12 hour shifts at my full time job which means I only work 15 outta 30 days a month ... and can have a pretty decent amount of shifts with Brinks!

I would say that it would very difficult if this was your only job as some weeks you might not get anything if the full timers don't take days off and if you don't live very close to the office (like me) you can't really be doing last minute fill in stuff either ....

Once you get in, it is what you make of it. I personally like it as I just got Messenger training and I find that more fulfilling then just driving.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Yeah, unless they were semi-retired, a majority of the part-timers had other jobs. One of my colleagues who worked part-time with GardaWorld/G4S Cash Solutions was actually a federal correctional officer.

In fact, thinking about it, it seems quite a few correctional officers that I was aware of worked part-time at their centre and then part-time at Brinks or G4S/GardaWorld.

blue98saturn wrote:Once you get in, it is what you make of it.

Pretty much!
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Just heard something (that I later confirmed) that has surprised me. I was told that if I were to get into a police service, it'd be considered a conflict of interest to remain working at GardaWorld. I was always planning on staying on at Garda as casual but I'd need permission from the service to do so. I can't figure out why it's considered a conflict of interest.

Corrections officers don't need permissions but LEO do.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:23 am

spooky wrote:Just heard something (that I later confirmed) that has surprised me. I was told that if I were to get into a police service, it'd be considered a conflict of interest to remain working at GardaWorld. I was always planning on staying on at Garda as casual but I'd need permission from the service to do so. I can't figure out why it's considered a conflict of interest.

Because Corrections would not have to conduct an investigation into an AR of your truck.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am

If you were hired as a police officer... why would you want to still work as a security guard?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 pm

mack_silent wrote:If you were hired as a police officer... why would you want to still work as a security guard?

Money. It's not uncommon for people to have two jobs nowadays. :crazy:
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am

spooky wrote:Just heard something (that I later confirmed) that has surprised me. I was told that if I were to get into a police service, it'd be considered a conflict of interest to remain working at GardaWorld. I was always planning on staying on at Garda as casual but I'd need permission from the service to do so. I can't figure out why it's considered a conflict of interest.

Corrections Officers are LEOS. I've met a few LEOs who were moonlighting at armored car companies on the side in their spare time. None of them were from police agencies, though.

Pete's point is also valid.

mack_silent wrote:If you were hired as a police officer... why would you want to still work as a security guard?

I'm not a police officer, but even if I was, I still do a little bit of security work on the side for fun and extra money. I stay away from all the boring stuff though - construction sites, abandoned lots, access control, etc.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:29 pm

I wouldn't be working as a security guard, first off. I enjoy my job and I like my coworkers. Also, in 30 years or so it's a really easy retirement job.

The real reason I wanted to keep it was to make sure I had a backup plan if I were able to get into a police service.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Hattie wrote:Money. It's not uncommon for people to have two jobs nowadays. :crazy:

I'm looking at the conflict of interest / liability reasons of trying to work both jobs at same time.
Even if working both jobs was allowed by a service, I doubt it'd be worth it. (Considering tax bracket / security pay rates)
Police also work pretty heavy hours, with pay duty, court, and overtime hours.

spooky wrote:I wouldn't be working as a security guard, first off. I enjoy my job and I like my coworkers. Also, in 30 years or so it's a really easy retirement job.
The real reason I wanted to keep it was to make sure I had a backup plan if I were able to get into a police service.

That makes sense, it can be a fun retirement job. I know a few retired LEO's that have done the same.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 am

mack_silent wrote:
spooky wrote:I wouldn't be working as a security guard, first off. I enjoy my job and I like my coworkers. Also, in 30 years or so it's a really easy retirement job.

That makes sense, it can be a fun retirement job. I know a few retired LEO's that have done the same.

I would definitely go back to working armored car as a retirement job. I had a lot of fun, it was a good gig.
Special Constable

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:35 pm

I actually wouldn't mind being able to work armed security (not armed guard/cit) like I did back in the day (if it would be allowed)

It was fun, and made good money
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, the only real conflict of interest theory I've seen is in regards to if you get robbed. Otherwise... I'm missing it.

Armored gig is fun. Company is always cutting corners, equipment is shit but my coworkers are what makes me want to be there.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:58 pm

I work events with VPD officers. They make $100 an hour as it's double after their 12 shift.
You want to continue to do armed guard while being a Police Officer?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:41 pm

noanykey wrote:I work events with VPD officers. They make $100 an hour as it's double after their 12 shift.

This. In my province, pay duty coverage is slightly less (65-82/hour).
Plus free entry to sporting events, live concerts, festivals, etc.

What's the pay like for Brinks?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 am

mack_silent wrote:
noanykey wrote:I work events with VPD officers. They make $100 an hour as it's double after their 12 shift.

This. In my province, pay duty coverage is slightly less (65-82/hour).
Plus free entry to sporting events, live concerts, festivals, etc.

What's the pay like for Brinks?

EDIT:
spooky wrote:Yeah, the only real conflict of interest theory I've seen is in regards to if you get robbed. Otherwise... I'm missing it.

Many security employers tend to put their staff into high liability situations. (relating to safety, legally risky situations, lacking equipment, etc.)
These issues have been discussed on Blueline, by various staff of various entities. (not just security)
I can't see many police services liking the risk/reward factor here, in order to allow an officer to moonlight a 2nd job in security. (services invest a lot of time and money into their officers.)

Some of my concerns related to potential conflicts arising from:
1. making arrests (494 or 495 at that point and legal powers),
2. local legislation (ID'ing yourself as "police" while in a security role, could be a breach of local legislation),
3. training (differs greatly company to company, and UoF, arrest, legal rules, etc likely to be different than what your service teaches you),
4. staffing conflicts (pay duty police on site, delivering armored car guard know each other, etc)
If any of these issues then arise... investigations would likely be by police coworkers, so it could be a conflict.

These are just a few of the potential issues I've thought of. All reasons why I think it'd be a liability to work these two professions at the same time.