Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Dinkas

Never had any interaction with them in another life. Whats wrong with them?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:30 am

IndictableChaser wrote:

A lot of things, so I have heard anyway - slave their drivers, low wages, overtly religious work culture.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Simplimatics wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

A lot of things, so I have heard anyway - slave their drivers, low wages, overtly religious work culture.

Heard the same when I was at Brinks....

Something about how the company is smaller than they let on.... They basically try to scam dummies into paying for their INKAS Armored car training academy so that said dummy has the opportunity to apply to work for INKAS......

If you have to pay money to a company to get the chance to work there, it's probably not worth it IMHO....
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:25 pm

I was speaking with Inkas CEO a while ago and she asked if I had applied. I told her I hadn't and she suggested I apply. So I did. Never heard back...

Inkas operates out of white sprinter vans - not sure if armored or not. I've never seen them though. I did hear that they're actively recruiting right now for night runs. They don't currently have any night runs so they may be expanding.

Roofus
Rookie Member

Postby Roofus » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:53 am

Inkas is very sketchy. Brinks is okay but Garda is the best. For not only work but pay as well.

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Simplimatics wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

does anyone know what inkas starts their ppl at wage wise???

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 pm

jayj135 wrote:I just received a call for from Brinks with some preliminary questions and hopefully an interview to follow. the position I applied for is messenger. I was told that part time casual starts at $14.77 an hour for the Barrie Ontario area. I have been reading older posts, I was shocked to hear that brinks does not supply a vest to wear.

yeup

its concerning how brinks doesnt provide vests. not even about the money. but if u won't supply someone in this type of job with a vest, what other stuff are you willing to weasel out of to save on a few bucks while putting a guards life in danger..??

its more concerning to me the amount of brinks guys i see that dont wear vests, its amazing how stupid people can be these days.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:48 pm

I was working with a guard yesterday, GW just got new vests.

Personally, If I'm expected to perform a job that could risk my life. I'll buy my own vest, can't put a price on safety.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:12 pm

noanykey wrote:I was working with a guard yesterday, GW just got new vests.

Personally, If I'm expected to perform a job that could risk my life. I'll buy my own vest, can't put a price on safety.

how long have you been a guard for gardaworld?

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Not a guard.. I'm an ATM technician. I meet up with GW on service calls.
SAR Member

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 pm

noanykey wrote:Not a guard.. I'm an ATM technician. I meet up with GW on service calls.

When I worked for G4S/GW, they had in-house ATM technicians with firearms and vests in larger centres. My primary area was small, so the technicians were either IBM/DELL/Microsoft or third party.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:15 pm

Those aren't ATM technicians, those are "techs" who meet up with other people to open up the safe so we can fix it up :)
They try and fix it themselves but if they can't, they escalate.

I work for an independant company and I am the lonely west coast guy.
SAR Member

blue98saturn
Rookie Member

Postby blue98saturn » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:14 pm

Tommy wrote:
blue98saturn wrote:I just got offered less then what this post listed as the minimum.

Brinks - $15.50 / hour (depending on what position you work)

Sounds about right..... Working a shift in the "Turret" aka Control room was like 10 something an hour... Minimum wage basically.... 15.50 I think was the pay for working in the vault... (lots of frustrating work for nowhere near enough money) and I think 16-17/hr was driver wages... Decent but nothing great... Guard was 18-19 I think and Messenger was like 21-24/hr

In the end, it's a half decent filler job while you work your way into something better.. I never really felt like it was something I could do as a career, and once my hours at the Provincial Park kicked up, I stopped doing shifts there entirely, as being a Warden was way better experience (and money)

I've since, (Thankfully) moved onto much more long term lucrative pastures.

So I went through all the training with Brinks and was successful in the process. The strange part is what I was told about several things turned out to not be correct. The first was the payrate. I was told on the phone interview that I would be making 15.50/hr as a driver (to start). I got my paystubs from the last 2 pays and my payrate was listed as 17.70 something or other / hour ... and the second thing was about how part time employment works. The HR lady indicated during our training courses that we would need to be 'available' for 2 weekend shifts per month and that a 'weekend' consisted of Friday Saturday and Sunday meaning you had to work all three days 2 times per month or be written up for it. The class asked for clarification and was TOLD that this was the way it is and if that wasn't ok then we could quit anytime ...... and that it was all in writing in the collective agreement???? Is that really the way to speak to new people who just finished 2 weeks of training and are ready to start the on the job training?

Someone from our group asked the scheduler (Toronto) who is an absolute sweet heart and very helpful if this was true a couple days later. It wasn't! Part timers need to be available for 10 shifts per month minimum and 2 must fall on a weekend meaning you just need to choose 2 sats or suns that you can work out of the whole month. After that clarification it really did seem like it was management (front office staff) versus the employees (the grunts that go on the road) .... I'm new and can tell you that there are some employees in the Toronto office that are very 'hard' around the edges and that it is a somewhat intimidating place when you are very new ...

If you have never driven a large truck like a Uhaul before .. it's going to be rather difficult to adjust to driving their vehicles and trust me .. you will start off as a driver ....

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 pm

What's a tech's pay rate?

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 am

I get techs all the time, some I see almost every meet.. some I rarely see.
I believe they're on rotation. You may not start off as one.

What you do start off is on-call/casual at $16ish an hour. It's a tough move over when its like that, especially with mortgage, car, bike, bills, etc..
SAR Member