Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
blue01
Rookie Member

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby blue01 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:56 am

IndictableChaser wrote:
blue01 wrote:so what is the actual brinks pay. is it 14.60 for drivers and more for the guards/messengers as stated on this thread?

and what is up with brinks guards not wearing bullet proof vests, are they insane?

Google.

And who says they don't

(Read: Internal vest)

Yes but why on earth would you want to wear an internal vest as a money courier? What benefit would this give you? and if they aren't required to wear one.. a person would be insane to be doing that type of work without a vest. The other month a guard was shot by 3 idiots and his vest absorbed the would be kill bullets. Imagine if the guy didn't have a vest on.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:27 pm

blue01 wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:
blue01 wrote:so what is the actual brinks pay. is it 14.60 for drivers and more for the guards/messengers as stated on this thread?

and what is up with brinks guards not wearing bullet proof vests, are they insane?

Google.

And who says they don't

(Read: Internal vest)

Yes but why on earth would you want to wear an internal vest as a money courier? What benefit would this give you? and if they aren't required to wear one.. a person would be insane to be doing that type of work without a vest. The other month a guard was shot by 3 idiots and his vest absorbed the would be kill bullets. Imagine if the guy didn't have a vest on.

So much http://youtu.be/AXzEcwYs8Eo in this post
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:48 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:

lol. so you would work as a money courier without wearing a vest?

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:57 pm

blue01 wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

I wore an internal carrier when I worked for Brinks.... It was an older one, and the little money I got paid didn't really make buying a new external vest feasible....

Internal carriers have a lot of benefits as well... Less to grab onto in a scrap, and it makes us stand out a bit less as well. As far as who wears what while on the job, in the interest of safety for the people who still work there, I wont talk about much of that outside of the private side of the forum. Lest some scroat bag reads this and uses it for their own purposes.

What benefit does an external carrier provide other than being able to be undone when you're in the truck? If the gun isn't a deterrent, the body armour sure as hell isn't going to help....
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Tommy wrote:
blue01 wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

I wore an internal carrier when I worked for Brinks.... It was an older one, and the little money I got paid didn't really make buying a new external vest feasible....

Internal carriers have a lot of benefits as well... Less to grab onto in a scrap, and it makes us stand out a bit less as well. As far as who wears what while on the job, in the interest of safety for the people who still work there, I wont talk about much of that outside of the private side of the forum. Lest some scroat bag reads this and uses it for their own purposes.

What benefit does an external carrier provide other than being able to be undone when you're in the truck? If the gun isn't a deterrent, the body armour sure as hell isn't going to help....

Internal vests are alright, but to not wear a vest at all?

I was just thinking that the external vest is another deterrent and looks intimidating, it's associated with police, swat, etc. and I think it would just be a deterrent.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:21 pm

GardaWorld vests are mandatory PPE, you will be ordered one. Brinks currently splits the cost with their employees which means for some people, the cost is too much making it optional. Vests aren't cheap and while I agree, the employee accepts the consequences of what happens should there be a gun fight and they're not wearing one.

I was issued an external carrier at GardaWorld and wore one for the majority of my employment there.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:42 am

blue01 wrote:Internal vests are alright, but to not wear a vest at all?

I was just thinking that the external vest is another deterrent and looks intimidating, it's associated with police, swat, etc. and I think it would just be a deterrent.

Guns are also associated with cops. People still fight with them... Armed Guards carry guns. People still try to rob the trucks and couriers. I get where you're coming from, but for someone who really wants it, the armor means nothing. As I said before, if the gun is not a deterrent, nothing else will be.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:55 pm

I work with GW guards that don't wear their vests.

They're all super dinosaurs, been doing it for 25+ years.. Today something could go bad for them.
To each their own.
I money handle but as an ATM technician, I don't have protection.

I don't really think about it..

Going back to topic, go with GW. I spoke to their newest guard the other day. $17.2 to start, but part time... Lots of OT though.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Sun May 03, 2015 9:40 pm

noanykey wrote:I work with GW guards that don't wear their vests.

They're all super dinosaurs, been doing it for 25+ years.. Today something could go bad for them.
To each their own.

Going back to topic, go with GW. I spoke to their newest guard the other day. $17.2 to start, but part time... Lots of OT though.

$17.12 to start? That's definitely a part-timer wage. Part-timers only get %75 of a full-timers wage. I am not sure why someone wouldn't wear their vest. Vests have saved lives. GardaWorld management would lose their shit if they saw members not wearing their vests.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:45 am

Simplimatics wrote:
noanykey wrote:I work with GW guards that don't wear their vests.

To each their own.

$17.12 to start? That's definitely a part-timer wage. Part-timers only get %75 of a full-timers wage. I am not sure why someone wouldn't wear their vest. Vests have saved lives. GardaWorld management would lose their shit if they saw members not wearing their vests.

Exactly, a vest will save your life. If that guy who was shot doing a delivery wasn't wearing his vest he would have been killed, in the recent robbery in canada.

$17.12 is the starting rate or 17.60 or something here in ontario, cus spooky also confirmed thats what he was offered. and they only start you off as casual, not even part time.. i think it's only in like alberta you get started full time right away.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Tue May 19, 2015 1:39 am

Alberta is pretty much the only province with continuous turn over. They have to compete with the oil & gas industry.
Special Constable

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:32 pm

I've heard the Gatineau branch is hiring and there's a sign-on bonus for those with experience. PM me if you want further details.

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:28 pm

The striking Ottawa branch was apparently shutdown, hence the sudden need for bodies in Gatineau.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

blue98saturn
Rookie Member

Postby blue98saturn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:34 pm

I just got offered less then what this post listed as the minimum.

Brinks - $15.50 / hour (depending on what position you work)

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:38 am

blue98saturn wrote:I just got offered less then what this post listed as the minimum.

Brinks - $15.50 / hour (depending on what position you work)

Sounds about right..... Working a shift in the "Turret" aka Control room was like 10 something an hour... Minimum wage basically.... 15.50 I think was the pay for working in the vault... (lots of frustrating work for nowhere near enough money) and I think 16-17/hr was driver wages... Decent but nothing great... Guard was 18-19 I think and Messenger was like 21-24/hr

In the end, it's a half decent filler job while you work your way into something better.. I never really felt like it was something I could do as a career, and once my hours at the Provincial Park kicked up, I stopped doing shifts there entirely, as being a Warden was way better experience (and money)

I've since, (Thankfully) moved onto much more long term lucrative pastures.