Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
recceguy
Seasoned Member

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby recceguy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:50 am

Edited as it's pointless.....didn't see how old the thread is.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Been working with Garda for a few months now. It's interesting. It's similar to fed-ex with a gun but it's more technical than I realized in a lot of ways. Plus, if fed-ex misplaces a package I'm not sure it's as big a deal as if I were to misplace a package.

neutral25
Rookie Member

Postby neutral25 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:24 pm

nice intake spooky,

can you be a little more specific on your experience ? like the tactical part ?

and how is it dealing with people in this kind of job ? what about their perceptions of you?

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:18 pm

neutral25 wrote:nice intake spooky,

and how is it dealing with people in this kind of job ? what about their perceptions of you?

Since there has been two shootings in Toronto alone since the start of 2014, I don't want to speak at all about tactics and training. The first shooting was in January at the Fairview mall. The second was about 5-6 weeks ago in Toronto. In both cases there was an exchange of gunfire by both parties. No fatalities yet but the guard was shot multiple times in the recent shooting.

People are funny. I've been mistaken for a LEO on more than one occasion. People see the vest, gun, and patch on the shoulder and think police. I've not had a poor experience with someone yet which is almost disappointing since I need something for my self control competency for upcoming interviews.

Lots of people watch us though. I always try to be alert but somewhat friendly looking. If you look too friendly it invites conversation, haha.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:47 am

spooky wrote:

Since there has been two shootings in Toronto alone since the start of 2014, I don't want to speak at all about tactics and training. The first shooting was in January at the Fairview mall. The second was about 5-6 weeks ago in Toronto. In both cases there was an exchange of gunfire by both parties. No fatalities yet but the guard was shot multiple times in the recent shooting.

People are funny. I've been mistaken for a LEO on more than one occasion. People see the vest, gun, and patch on the shoulder and think police. I've not had a poor experience with someone yet which is almost disappointing since I need something for my self control competency for upcoming interviews.

Lots of people watch us though. I always try to be alert but somewhat friendly looking. If you look too friendly it invites conversation, haha.

People routinely mistake unarmed private security for Police; people are stupid.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 am

spooky wrote:Been working with Garda for a few months now. It's interesting. It's similar to fed-ex with a gun but it's more technical than I realized in a lot of ways. Plus, if fed-ex misplaces a package I'm not sure it's as big a deal as if I were to misplace a package.

For the most part, this is basically true. My colleague(s) and I often had a chuckle about that.

I'm not spooky, but I did this job for a year and a bit before taking the next step in my career. Perhaps I can sate your curiosity a bit.

Doing this job, you get the occasional joker(s) who ask if your guns are real or even loaded, or think it's funny to ask for the money. There are also the misguided individual(s) who think the whole thing is fake (the guns, the armor, the trucks are just made of thick plastic to look intimidating, etc). I either downplayed the joke or gave a bit of a chuckle, but never really indulged people. Overall though, people are respectful and polite.

As for tactics and training, I won't say too much. (1) The instructors gave a shit about you and wanted to see you succeed. (2) The course of fire for the pistol/revolvers is extensive and most of the practical training is well thought out. (3) Besides the usual policies and procedures, the academic material is relevant.

Von wrote: People routinely mistake unarmed private security for Police; people are stupid.

Yeah, the misconceptions are pretty common. That's what wearing a uniform gets you, even if it looks even remotely law enforcement related.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 pm

spooky wrote:

Hi spooky, I am trying to get into one of the armoured car companies.. Was wondering if you could shed light on what the actual pay per hour is for brinks vs garda?

As well, can you get in full time or that's impossible and you have to do part-time first with both brinks and garda... ? What kind of a work background did you have to get called by both companies? I only have a background in the security industry.. also if you could shed light on the hiring process you had to go through?

thanks a tonne!

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Pay varies. I was told that Brinks offers about $14.60 for the area I was in. Garda is in the $18.xx area. Different things pay better or worse. If you're not working outside the branch, you can make $18 during the day with a $1 premium for night work. Working in the branch typically means you make $1 less.

Part time casual is what you will get from either Garda or Brinks. Seniority dictates who gets what when. Full time, hours, overtime, routes, etc.

I have a university degree, diploma in Police Foundations, and I'm in relatively decent physical shape. Speaking of which, the job is a lot more physically demanding than I expected. You can deal with 500lbs of coin in a shift easily. Lots of work on your knees too.

Hiring process was straight forward. Brinks = dropped off a resume, in person interview, background check. After that I was slotted for training but went no further.
Garda = dropped off a resume, phone interview, aptitude testing at the main branch, background check, then training.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 pm

spooky wrote:...Lots of work on your knees too...
How else do you expect to get promoted?
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:19 am

spooky wrote:Pay varies. I was told that Brinks offers about $14.60 for the area I was in. Garda is in the $18.xx area. Different things pay better or worse. If you're not working outside the branch, you can make $18 during the day with a $1 premium for night work. Working in the branch typically means you make $1 less.

Part time casual is what you will get from either Garda or Brinks. Seniority dictates who gets what when. Full time, hours, overtime, routes, etc.

I have a university degree, diploma in Police Foundations, and I'm in relatively decent physical shape. Speaking of which, the job is a lot more physically demanding than I expected. You can deal with 500lbs of coin in a shift easily. Lots of work on your knees too.

Hiring process was straight forward. Brinks = dropped off a resume, in person interview, background check. After that I was slotted for training but went no further.
Garda = dropped off a resume, phone interview, aptitude testing at the main branch, background check, then training.

spooky, great post thanks for the info.
so aprox. how many hours do you get per week at garda as a "part time casual". ? i know a lot of jobs on paper will have you listed as "part time casual" but in reality your getting 40+hours a week.. my only concern about armoured is that if i do get in i am scared they will only give me like 20 hours a week which i won't be able to survive on...

i thought you can only apply online. can you post where you dropped your resume off for garda and brinks?

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:54 am

I dropped my resumes off to the local branches in my area. Hours depend on location and the time of the year. As part time casual, we fill in for full timers who are off. Summers are busy. I was getting 30-40 hours per week when I first started. Christmas is also busy. Everything else is less busy and I was expecting about 20-30 hours.

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:00 am

Spooky, sent you a pm

blue01
Rookie Member

Postby blue01 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:12 am

so what is the actual brinks pay. is it 14.60 for drivers and more for the guards/messengers as stated on this thread?

and what is up with brinks guards not wearing bullet proof vests, are they insane?

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:39 pm

blue01 wrote:so what is the actual brinks pay. is it 14.60 for drivers and more for the guards/messengers as stated on this thread?

and what is up with brinks guards not wearing bullet proof vests, are they insane?

Google.

And who says they don't

(Read: Internal vest)
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Not sure with brinks re: pay. I also heard that Brinks guards have the option of wearing a vest since they have to pay for half. On the plus side I hear they operate in 3 man teams. Not sure if that's accurate though - all hear say.