Respect In Sport

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
HwyBear

Re: Respect In Sport

Postby HwyBear » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am

basketcase wrote: Ummmm.....yeah the 100 a week I make doing three or four games.....that's just beer money.

:thumbsup:
But what about the summer time beer money :ponder:
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Image won't post for some reason: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1177 ... /image.jpg

Sign says:

SPECTATOR CODE OF CONDUCT

1. These are kids.

2. This is a game.

3. Parents should cheer for everyone.

4. The referees are human.

5. You and your child do not play for the Canucks.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 pm

HwyBear wrote:
basketcase wrote: Ummmm.....yeah the 100 a week I make doing three or four games.....that's just beer money.

:thumbsup:
But what about the summer time beer money :ponder:

Paid duties. :wave:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Fri May 23, 2014 11:41 am

Apparently in Georgetown, any parent who wants to attend their kids game (and this is house league) has to attend some sort of training on how to behave in a rink.

Sad that the world had come to this. I played hockey in my teens and while women's/ girl's hockey has way less pressure than boy's/ men's because really...there's no way to make a career/ retirement plan out of it if you're a woman. BUT! it still exists. I had been "drafted" for a specialized tournament team when I was a teen (I hadn't tried out for it, the coach of the tournament team was scouting my games and came in the dressing room and asked me to play), and so I joined. The coach's daughter and another girl where having problems outside of the team (went to school together) and long story short, they used me as the patsy to kick the girl off the team.

My pregnant mother was verbally attacked/harassed by the ousted girl's mother and she was already high-risk because of her age...two days later she was hospitalized for nearly 3 months for early labour. Could be related, could not be.

Since that incident, I had a target on my back from the ousted girl, who was a behemoth of a girl...I'm tiny, (despite me trying to explain I had nothing to do with her getting the boot) and my mother could no longer go to games out of catty remarks and just general harassment from the girl's mother.

I 've also been an assistant coach for my brother's team a few years ago...and our team was...mediocre and parents would call the coaching staff with demands like "I don't want Junior playing on a line with So-and-So, because So-and-So is a weak player and brings Junior's play down and blah blah blah". The
kids were 5 and 6. :crazy:

That said, I'm signing up to coach girl's hockey this year so it should be interesting to see how it goes!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am

Being forced to take a "course" to be able to watch my kid play a game would piss me off.
K division.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Fri May 23, 2014 11:56 am

Shawshank wrote:Being forced to take a "course" to be able to watch my kid play a game would piss me off.

I hear ya, but I guess one too many idiots ruin a good thing.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Shawshank wrote:Being forced to take a "course" to be able to watch my kid play a game would piss me off.

It's not so much a course as it's Ontario Minor Hockey Association "Respect In Hockey" one hour online training. At least one parent in the household of the kid registered in hockey has to take the course. It's needed but it won't change anything in the rinks. There's no consequence to being a jackass and this won't magically change people's perception of competition.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Fri May 23, 2014 3:31 pm

basketcase wrote:

It's not so much a course as it's Ontario Minor Hockey Association "Respect In Hockey" one hour online training. At least one parent in the household of the kid registered in hockey has to take the course. It's needed but it won't change anything in the rinks. There's no consequence to being a jackass and this won't magically change people's perception of competition.

Very true.

It's a wonder some of these kids want to play at all with the pressure put on them by their parents. But yeah...totally wouldn't to be a ref. lol

crazy_flyer8

Postby crazy_flyer8 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 pm

I ref lacrosse in the summer and two years ago the CLA lost something like a quarter of their referees due to abuse of officials from fans and coaches. I love referring and enjoy it as a hobby but I am sure as heck not there to be abused. I have no problem explaining myself or my interpretation of a call but that’s all it is an interpretation, and if you don't agree that’s too bad. For me I find the peewee age the hardest to ref. The parents act like tools and think they know everything and that there kid is the next NLL player. Tyke is my favorite. The kids are just happy to be there and the parents just don't want little Jonny hurt and are proud when their kid scores. It’s so innocent. It’s definitely never a players fault for two handing a kid across the head it’s always the refs. All I ask for is respect! I truely agree that minor sports would benifit from parents not allowed in the arena. They can sit in a room and watch it on CCTV.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." -John Wayne
KCCO

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 pm

basketcase wrote:

And this is what pisses me off. I am the type of guy to let stuff go. I don't get worked up over most things, and as such, the training would be wasted on me. Yet, because of a few jackasses who won't learn, I would have to waste my time. And as I am sure we can all appreciate here, my time has value to me and my family.
K division.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 am

Shawshank wrote:
basketcase wrote:

And this is what pisses me off. I am the type of guy to let stuff go. I don't get worked up over most things, and as such, the training would be wasted on me. Yet, because of a few jackasses who won't learn, I would have to waste my time. And as I am sure we can all appreciate here, my time has value to me and my family.

I agree. I wish offending parents could be banned from the rinks and I'm sure some already have... Although more than likely it would punish the kids more than them. Parent gets banned, parent gets butthurt over it and takes kid out of the league. But maybe that is what it has to come down to?

First offense (depending on severity...if you physically assault someone it should be automatic ban) written letter

Second Offense: banned.

But it's all the matter of who implements this... The ones who run the league? My experience with coaching is everyone knows everyone. I remember drafting my team and I picked a mixture of strong players and weaker players based on their skills assessment and two coaches were picking from the bottom up... Players with lower scores. Come season start, coaches who went by the grading system had players who could barely stand on skates and the coaches who picked the lowest scored kids had mini Sidney Crosbys, lol.

I've always emphasized sportsmanship and having fun but it gets a little hard to boost moral when the poor kids are getting blown out by stacked teams, as they get frustrated. Hockey is competitive and anyone who plays it does have that competitive drive, there is no avoiding it.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon May 26, 2014 12:09 pm

I played a relatively high level of hockey growing up and consider myself very lucky my parents weren't typical hockey parents. Since neither knew a thing about hockey they just showed up and watched with smiles on their faces.

I'm happy they didn't pressure me as I would have definitely quit in my teens. I loved hockey, but once I started hitting bantam and midget it became too much about draft stock etc etc. I didnt have the size to move up to the next level and knew it....the only reason I really kept playing was to get laid....hockey served its purpose :D

I hope my son plays....but I'll never force him. Nor will I become one of those parents as, having been a player, I saw the embarrassment and pissed off rants by the guys in the locker room daily due to their parents.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon May 26, 2014 12:37 pm

recceguy that's an interesting perspective - it would be great to hear candid "hidden camera" discussions by players of different ages about their parents' reactions at games. I bet it would open some parents' eyes and probably do a lot more to curb obnoxious parent behaviour than any hour-long online course. No one likes hearing that their kid thinks they're a jerk - unless they truly are a jerk, and I guess there's not really much hope for them either way.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon May 26, 2014 6:55 pm

I played competitive hockey for quite a few years as a kid.
To be honest, not many parents misbehaved... but the handful that did sure made asses out of themselves.

There was a few that thought water bottle throwing, punching walls and breaking their hands, yelling at kids, arguing with coach or refs were appropriate things.
Those people need to GTFO and let the kids enjoy their sports with good sportsmanship, teamwork, and respect for others.
I volunteered in training / coaching kids from at-risk neighborhoods in hockey. The organization had a zero tolerance for any of the above shenanigans.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Sly
Rookie Member

Postby Sly » Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 am

GoodWitness wrote:recceguy that's an interesting perspective - it would be great to hear candid "hidden camera" discussions by players of different ages about their parents' reactions at games. I bet it would open some parents' eyes and probably do a lot more to curb obnoxious parent behaviour than any hour-long online course. No one likes hearing that their kid thinks they're a jerk - unless they truly are a jerk, and I guess there's not really much hope for them either way.

Years ago, I was officiating a Bantam AAA hockey game. I was a linesmen getting ready to drop the puck for a face off when some parent in the stands started yelling at the ref from the stands. The center for the visiting team, turns around, looks up in the stands and yells "Dad shut the fuck up." I never heard a rink get some quite and uncomfortable before. The parent slowly walked out of the rink with his head down and in to the lobby.... I made sure to wait :)