Cell Phone Revolt

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Bitterman
Rookie Member

Re: Cell Phone Revolt

Postby Bitterman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:25 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:So, I've decided that as soon as my contract is up on my cellular telephone (near the end of the year), I am going to cancel it . I, I'll be better able to focus on the important things in life. Can't wait actually!

Yeaaah,.... I tried that a few years ago.
'Lasted two weeks.

Thing is, I think when it comes to cell phone sevice you are in the drivers seat when it comes to what you're going to pay. Especially when your contract expires.
My contract expired back in April and since then i've just been paying the same on a month to month basis..
Yesterday I finally got around to looking at getting a new/different phone(goodbye Apple)...
Long story short... The "deals" you see at the store or in the paper.. Those aren't "deals".
Dig a little.. Be a dick... Don't take what they're offering. They need/want you more than you need them. Ask about they're "retention" offers and if you're not thrilled... Tell them to put you through to "Corporate".
There are packages available.. or at least there are people at "corporate" who have the authority to just make shit up as far as services/prices go.
In the end.. I stayed with my current provider, but I'm paying significantly less than what I was and getting significantly more. I also managed to "upgrade" to a new Samsung for $49 rather than the $299 price quoted me at the retail level.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 am

No 20 Year Medal wrote:Says Walt Kowalski...

I had a Grand Torino. Wonder if Walt put the steering column in it?
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 am

GoodWitness wrote:what's with these people using Starbucks as their office, monopolizing the few tables with their laptops and files spread all over?

:thumbsup: +1

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I don't know if it's the whole cell phone culture or maybe I'm just getting fed up with the sense of entitlement that seems so common nowadays.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety. And fed up.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:41 pm

We're considering going to a digital aerial in our next house for TV. The picture is amazing. And it's free which is pretty cool.

CO

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 am

I've started leaving my cell phone in the car when doing calls at work. I know the company won't replace it if it gets broken and Bell will be more than happy to sell me a new one. Second is I hate when I'm dealing with a call and the phone is going off with text messages. Third is that there are actually cops who will be on a call as secondary and pull out their phone in the middle of something. Brutal!
OFFICER OF THE LAW

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:39 am

+1 what basket said.

I keep mine tucked up in the sunvisor all the time when on the road.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

KevinH
Grand Poobah

Postby KevinH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

CourtOfficer wrote:We're considering going to a digital aerial in our next house for TV. The picture is amazing. And it's free which is pretty cool.

CO

We've had a digital antenna and Netflix for a few years. It works quite well - especially if you add an UnBlockUs subscription ($5 a month) for a grand total of $13 a month.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm not familiar with Netflix. I wouldn't want anything like that.

My phone has went off on calls before. My Sir-Mix-A-Lot I Like Big Butts ring tone is always a hit with complainants.

CO

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

basketcase wrote:I've started leaving my cell phone in the car when doing calls at work. I know the company won't replace it if it gets broken and Bell will be more than happy to sell me a new one. Second is I hate when I'm dealing with a call and the phone is going off with text messages. Third is that there are actually cops who will be on a call as secondary and pull out their phone in the middle of something. Brutal!

Just so I make sure I am understanding of this, you will ask an officer for help on a call and while there, they start playing Angry birds?
K division.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:28 pm

opp2 wrote: if you don't have it, PCC can't ask you to 'give them a 21' now can they?

Sure they can. They do it at our office.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am

opp2 wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
basketcase wrote:I've started leaving my cell phone in the car when doing calls at work. I know the company won't replace it if it gets broken and Bell will be more than happy to sell me a new one. Second is I hate when I'm dealing with a call and the phone is going off with text messages. Third is that there are actually cops who will be on a call as secondary and pull out their phone in the middle of something. Brutal!

Just so I make sure I am understanding of this, you will ask an officer for help on a call and while there, they start playing Angry birds?

I think what he means is it is so ingrained in us now to answer our phones when they off. We're all Pavlov's dogs. I've started leaving it behind too. I'm trying to wean myself off of it. There is no place for personal chit chat at work and I can't tell those I supervise not to do it if I do. And my service highly recommends not using personal cell. if you don't have it, PCC can't ask you to 'give them a 21' now can they?

Yeah, the angry bird comment was a little flippant, but that is what I was getting at. Its in a lot of aspects. I have been hearing instances of when buying a car, the salesman will answer calls. We were fortunate though when buying our house, our agent would take her phone out when it rang just to turn the ringer off. Was the best we could hope for.

As well, people need to prioritize. Most calls can be ignored for the time being. They'll leave a message. If it is important, they will continue to call.
K division.