Cell Phone Revolt

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Cell Phone Revolt

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 pm

So, I've decided that as soon as my contract is up on my cellular telephone (near the end of the year), I am going to cancel it and live cell phone free. I just get tired of carting it around and wasting time with nonsense. I think without it, I'll be better able to focus on the important things in life. Can't wait actually!

CO

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: Cell Phone Revolt

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Funny enough, I'll be cancelling my cell phone the end of this year too... My personal cell phone that is.

Since my Office recently switched carriers, it literally costs nothing for people to call me, and the amount of calls I make is next to nothing, so it barely scrapes the 550 daytime minutes, oh and 6 GB of Data... Woot!

I honestly don't think I could function without my Smartphone. :twitch:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:40 am

CourtOfficer wrote:So, I've decided that as soon as my contract is up on my cellular telephone (near the end of the year), I am going to cancel it and live cell phone free. I just get tired of carting it around and wasting time with nonsense. I think without it, I'll be better able to focus on the important things in life. Can't wait actually!

CO

But, but... how will you google stuff when you're not at home? How will all your followers know when you have a particularly satisfying dump, or hear a good joke?

I hope you really think this through. Think of the children.

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Go retro and get a pager... Although I wouldn't use a payphone to call anyone back - we played with a new ion scanner a couple years back and swabbed a dozen payphones in the area - all were off the charts for marijuana, meth, cocaine, etc.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:19 pm

How will you instagram all your food pictures!?

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't believe in Facebook or any computer shenanigans. I didn't even have a data plan for my phone. I have a general dislike of people so I think this will further help me isolate myself from the outside world. Annnnnd, it's money saved that could help support my extremely expensive supplement and meat budget.

CO

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Ha, I tried to cancel my Fido account only a few months early... I figured $20 per month for each remaining month, so $80 at the most... Nope, $200.00!?! I was like WTFBBQSAUCE? Apparently it's now $100 minimum for voice service and $100 minimum for data service to be cancelled early... But, I could suspend the service for $15 per month, then call up and cancel one month prior to the end of my contract... So that's what I'm doing.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

CBK

Postby CBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 am

Cell phones are ruining people. I was sitting with the wife and a buddy around the kitchen table having a pop or ten and was talking about something when I realized neither was actually listening, both were doing something on their stupid iphones.
My cell was on the table the other day and dinged because someone sent me a text message. I heard it but wasn't to concerned about what it was and left it. Not even 30 seconds later the wife says " your phone went off" I said "Yup I I know, I will look at it later". She just about fell out of her seat and the look of shock on her face was huge, like how is that possible, what do you mean check it later.... it went off now you gotta get it now!!!
People will stop, mid conversation and mess with their phone cuz heaven for bid if the person who just text you had to wait 5 seconds for your reply while you finish the conversation your having with the REAL LIVE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU!!!
Look around when you are out, no one has a clue whats going on around them cuz their head is focused on the little electronic devise in their hand.
Can't even say people have their head up their rear ends anymore because they are too busy trying to jam them into their phones!
Last edited by CBK on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 am

Respond Wayne wrote:Ha, I tried to cancel my Fido account only a few months early... I figured $20 per month for each remaining month, so $80 at the most... Nope, $200.00!?! I was like WTFBBQSAUCE? Apparently it's now $100 minimum for voice service and $100 minimum for data service to be cancelled early... But, I could suspend the service for $15 per month, then call up and cancel one month prior to the end of my contract... So that's what I'm doing.

[sarcasm] Don't you feel sorry for the big three and all the foreign competition that's going to come here and crush them? They've been here for Canada [/sarcasm]
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:02 pm

We go to a spot on weekends to have breakfast, and last time we went, there was a sign that said "No, we don't have Wi-Fi. Talk to each other".
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 pm

meathead1 wrote:We go to a spot on weekends to have breakfast, and last time we went, there was a sign that said "No, we don't have Wi-Fi. Talk to each other".

:thumbsup: !
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:45 pm

No real use fighting it as it's entrenched in the 20 something culture and as parents their kids are growing up thinking this is just how things work. The time to stamp out cell phone peeking while talking to other people or at the dinner table has long past. Not saying it means we have to partake in it, just saying welcome to the further deterioration of society. My niece and nephews text their parents from one room to the next while at home rather then walking 30 feet or heck, even yelling to them and the parents think it is cute. Part of me says no way in hell it will happen when my kids are teenagers and the other part worries by enforcing proper etiquette (as my generation sees it at least) will make them outcasts / freaks among their peers.

Buckle in, it's all downhill from here!

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:05 pm

meathead1 wrote:We go to a spot on weekends to have breakfast, and last time we went, there was a sign that said "No, we don't have Wi-Fi. Talk to each other".

So where did you go instead? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And what's with these people using Starbucks as their office, monopolizing the few tables with their laptops and files spread all over? Drink your damn coffee and get the hell out!

And get off my lawn.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Says Walt Kowalski...
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/