Fukushima

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
kaniff
Veteran Member

Fukushima

Postby kaniff » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 am

Read this the other day and it scared the shit out of me. Makes me kind've happy Hydro-Quebec closed the only reactor we had. Things are a little worse than we thought...

The article is too long to post entirely but here is the introduction and the link:

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-apocalypse ... moval-598/

Even the tiniest mistake during an operation to extract over 1,300 fuel rods at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan could lead to a series of cascading failures with an apocalyptic outcome, fallout researcher Christina Consolo told RT.

Fukushima operator TEPCO wants to extract 400 tons worth of spent fuel rods stored in a pool at the plant’s damaged Reactor No. 4. The removal would have to be done manually from the top store of the damaged building in the radiation-contaminated environment.

In the worst-case scenario, a mishandled rod may go critical, resulting in an above-ground meltdown releasing radioactive fallout with no way to stop it, said Consolo, who is the founder and host of Nuked Radio. But leaving the things as they are is not an option, because statistical risk of a similarly bad outcome increases every day, she said.

kward
Rookie Member

Re: Fukushima

Postby kward » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 pm

A buddy of mine is a scientist at a nuke facility (really) and he says this whole Fukushima thing is being way over-blown.

He said the amount of radiation that's spilled out, and will continue to spill out for some time pales by comparison to the billions of tonnes of radiation that sloshes around our oceans, and circulates through the earth's crust each and every day.

He made the point that radiation is a necessary component for human health and survival - it's when you get too much in one dose that a problem occurs - and he says Fukushima is nowhere near the catastrophe it's being made out to be. So, given that, I wouldn't worry about it too much - if my buddy isn't worried or running for the hills - that's good enough for me.
13-09-17 - RPAB (13-09-23 - Passed - 4.23)
13-10-15 - Selection Package received

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:24 am

kward wrote:He said the amount of radiation that's spilled out, and will continue to spill out for some time pales by comparison to the billions of tonnes of radiation that sloshes around our oceans, and circulates through the earth's crust each and every day.

The ocean has become the dumping ground for everyone, tragic really.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

kaniff
Veteran Member

Postby kaniff » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 am

kward wrote:A buddy of mine is a scientist at a nuke facility (really) and he says this whole Fukushima thing is being way over-blown.

He said the amount of radiation that's spilled out, and will continue to spill out for some time pales by comparison to the billions of tonnes of radiation that sloshes around our oceans, and circulates through the earth's crust each and every day.

He made the point that radiation is a necessary component for human health and survival - it's when you get too much in one dose that a problem occurs - and he says Fukushima is nowhere near the catastrophe it's being made out to be. So, given that, I wouldn't worry about it too much - if my buddy isn't worried or running for the hills - that's good enough for me.

I don't know if that's reassuring or terrifying... I believe your friend that it's probably not as bad as the sensationalist media makes it out to be, but the Japanese have the reliability of a late 90's American car on this one, and have the potential to make it worse, much much worse... Particularly with TEPCO's amazing PR team who were practically saying "everything's great! Nothing to see here!" while it's blowing up and melting down in the background, and there kicking people out of their houses in the middle of the night for 25km in every direction...

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:54 pm

The average person either does not know or does not put two and two together about just how much radiation (all forms) they are subjected to on the average day.

Your Man Cave in the basement exposes you to radon gas. Radon gas varies in potency. Miners and cave explores are subjected to it at a much more substantial rate. There are many more radiation sources were are exposed to each and every day. Natural and man made.

Just imagine the millions that grew up sitting directly in front of the good old tube TV's. How about all the TV, AM/FM, two-way radio, cordless phones, wireless modem and cell phone signals are radiating through our bodies. Yet we don't give any of that a moments thought.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

kaniff
Veteran Member

Postby kaniff » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 am

Fair, but my tube tv never went critical and had the first above ground meltdown... I understand your points that radiation is present in all environments in many different forms, and my generation is probably going to see some serious health issues down the line because of all the exposure to Wi-Fi, cell phones, etc. , but I think that the Japanese are in some serious fucking trouble and are downplaying it. Furthermore they have to remove all these rods one by one with no mechanical aid as of yet and it doesn't sound like delicate begins to describe this. All with potential consequences for an entire hemisphere...

But journalists do get paid to sensationalise events and a news story about everything being okay and manageable probably wouldn't get printed either...

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Yet we quickly forget other notable incidents from the past such as SL-1* accident (1961), Three Mile Island accident (1979), Chernobyl disaster (1986). There have been about 100 less notable incidents. Some reactors and others related to radioactive materials. These incidents were from around the globe in places like Mexico, Costa Rica, Thailand, India, Switzerland, UK, USA, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Morocco. Might as well mention the nuclear vessels (subs and surface) that have had mishaps as well. These incident have transpired since the mid 50's.

*SL1 was a US Army experimental nuclear power reactor. It had a steam explosion and finally a core melt down. It was located outside of Idaho Falls, Idaho. Three operators died. Human error - improper control rod withdrawal.

As a little trivia.
NS Savannah, USA. A cargo vessel which was a US government project in the mid 50's to demonstrate possible commercial use for nuclear ships. The concept never really took off.

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Sly
Rookie Member

Postby Sly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 am

An interesting comparison between Fukushima and Chernobyl....it is a Wikipedia so take it for what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _accidents

I did a case study in University on the Chernobyl disaster. I don't want to down play the significance of Fukushima, but its scale is much smaller then Chernobyl, and Japan is in a way better position to deal with the disaster then Russia, even by todays Russian standard.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:27 am

Dave Jenkins wrote: improper control rod withdrawal.

That's what she said.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm

meathead1 wrote:

That's what she said.

:shock: so I guess there was a containment breach of material then. I understand that the Kimberly-Clark corporation produce products designed to be used in such cases.
-Mahatma Gandhi

kaniff
Veteran Member

Postby kaniff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:
meathead1 wrote:

That's what she said.

:shock: so I guess there was a containment breach of material then. I understand that the Kimberly-Clark corporation produce products designed to be used in such cases.

LOL! Thanks guys, I just spit up water all over myself...

I guess it's reassuring to hear it in comparison to Chernobyl it's not really that bad, still not good and not going to get any better any time soon... I kind've figured that once we all realised that Japan was slowly nuking the ocean, we'ld have a shit-load more people from all over the planet working harder on this then they have been.

Thanks for the history Dave, SL-1 and particularly the NS Savannah are really interesting, lots of history in all this

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 pm

My big concern is the "covering up" that the company is doing and making it seem like everything is fine.

Its not. We may get exposed to radiation just going about our daily lives, but this isn't the same.

I don't even like dealing with our reactor on campus.....f*&^g thing is gonna cause me to have a third eye or third nipple or both and I'll end up with a nipple between my eyes and an eye between my nipples.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 pm

devilwoman wrote:My big concern is the "covering up" that the company is doing and making it seem like everything is fine.

Its not. We may get exposed to radiation just going about our daily lives, but this isn't the same.

I don't even like dealing with our reactor on campus.....f*&^g thing is gonna cause me to have a third eye or third nipple or both and I'll end up with a nipple between my eyes and an eye between my nipples.

If it did end up between your eyes and you wore glasses, well, on a cold day that little sucker could push them right off your nose.
And with more regular placement the concept of "high beams" would totally change with three nipples, you could end up looking like a Tucker Torpedo.

Bloody radiation...

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:42 pm

devilwoman wrote:My big concern is the "covering up" that the company is doing and making it seem like everything is fine.

But think of the money you could make.....those would be some interesting attributes. 88)

Hey after 31 years I of going into that building I have no issues. Having pee that glows in the dark is a bonus.....for a guy. My new third nipple is where it ain't noticeable so it's no big deal.
-Mahatma Gandhi

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Hey after 31 years I of going into that building I have no issues.

You can actually type that with a straight face?
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."