Toronto officer charged with second-degree murder

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
BROVO26

Toronto officer charged with second-degree murder

Postby BROVO26 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 am

TORONTO - Ontario's police watchdog has charged a Toronto police officer with second-degree murder in the shooting death of an 18-year-old man on a streetcar.

Sammy Yatim died last month after being shot multiple times and Tasered on an empty streetcar.

Nine shots can be heard on cellphone videos that captured the incident, following shouts for Yatim to drop a knife.

The final six shots appear to come after he had already fallen to the floor of the streetcar.

The Special Investigations Unit announced today they have charged Const. James Forcillo with second-degree murder.

The SIU says Forcillo has not yet been arrested because an arrest warrant was just issued

The media will have a hay day with this one.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Toronto officer charged with second-degree murder

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:00 am

This will be an epic fail of a prosecution. You read it here first...

CO

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 am

:stupid:

From the Star article...

Const. James Forcillo, who has spent six years on the force split between court services at Old City Hall and as a uniformed constable at 14 Division, is the seventh on-duty Toronto police officer to be charged by the SIU with manslaughter or murder since its inception in 1990...

...Of the six previous Toronto cases involving charges of manslaughter or murder, all officers were acquitted.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Political move made to placate the media and people with a twitter account by aspiring politicians looking for votes. Pathetic and disgusting in the extreme. No hope of an actual conviction for murder and it's disgusting they would put the constable and family through this for political brownie points.

Also...the media should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. If they had any moral fibre at all they would have given the full sort of what happened and how YATIM really behaved....however they'd rather mud-sling a cop instead. For shame.

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Political move made to placate the media and people with a twitter account by aspiring politicians looking for votes. Pathetic and disgusting in the extreme. No hope of an actual conviction for murder and it's disgusting they would put the constable and family through this for political brownie points.

Also...the media should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. If they had any moral fibre at all they would have given the full sort of what happened and how YATIM really behaved....however they'd rather mud-sling a cop instead. For shame.

The good old media, they love bashing the police cause it sells papers and boosts ratings! I would love to see how they would fair up doing police work for one day. I often think of them as the disgusting part of society . :rage:
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Also...the media should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. If they had any moral fibre at all they would have given the full sort of what happened and how YATIM really behaved....however they'd rather mud-sling a cop instead. For shame.

I hear some of the people talk about Yatim as if he was some saint. Make no mistake there was a reason no one was left on that talk to talk to the poor troubled young man and it wasn't because the leafs were giving out free seasons tickets. Its because he posed an imminent risk.

Then there are the armchair quarterbacks...sigh.

I'm just glad the officer got bail and hope that this officer can return to "normal" whatever that may be as quickly as possible.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 am

This is why I hate people.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 am

Been reading keeping tabs on this from afar, and yesterday the first line of the editorial in the The Sun cracked me up, saying the media needs to keep things in perspective and balanced....yah you might want to tell that to your own reporters especially Warmington. This guy is critical of everything including saying the police should have been at Yatim's funeral :dubious: Really?? His line being that the police need to show support for the family, um no.....that might kinda send the wrong message to the rank and file.

And Goldstien at every turn, trying to inject a mental health aspect into this, when so far there is nothing to suggest it. And even his own arguements are contradictory, since he brought up the combined TPS/Mental health worker teams, but also mentioned they don't respond to situations were a person is being violent or armed...hmmmmm I wonder why...

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:58 pm

48highlander wrote: This guy is critical of everything including saying the police should have been at Yatim's funeral :dubious: Really?? His line being that the police need to show support for the family, um no.....that might kinda send the wrong message to the rank and file.

That is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.
K division.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Nobody's perfect...
Could this incident have been handled differently and ended up with an outcome that didn't involved shooting at a penis waving knife wielding head case..?
I suppose so, but... It wasn't.
Had it been a different cop who showed up things may have ended differently...
Had someone else taken charge... That could have also made a diff.
'You don't drop the knife when a cop has his gun pointed at you... You take your chances.

I'd go so far as to suggest that maybe you need to be removed from the gene pool just for being too dumb.

The judge will decide.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 am

Bitterman wrote:Could this incident have been handled differently and ended up with an outcome that didn't involved shooting at a penis waving knife wielding head case..?
I suppose so, but... It wasn't.

I agree, police should NOT be judged on the test of perfection. These situations unfold rapidly offering the officer little to no time to contemplate what or how to deal with it. Merely because another option could have been tried does not mean what the officer did was wrong. The list of "what ifs" that could be generated would be endless, but at the end of the day no one else knows what the officer knew (or did not know).

I find it ridiculous reading and hearing people pontificate about what the officer could have done,I suppose from the comfort and safety of a desk the officer could have done a lot of things, but unfortunately that day HIS life was on the line, he didn't have the luxury of slow motion replay with voice enhanced recordings.

Perhaps if Yatim had of dropped the knife and co-operated things may have turned out differently.

End rant! :cuss:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 am

gotchya wrote:Perhaps if Yatim had of dropped the knife and co-operated things may have turned out differently.

And right here is what none of the sheeple understand. He was the author of his own fate. If you listen to Police commands you would not be shot. Simple as that.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 am

Punisher-One wrote:
gotchya wrote:Perhaps if Yatim had of dropped the knife and co-operated things may have turned out differently.

And right here is what none of the sheeple understand. He was the author of his own fate. If you listen to Police commands you would not be shot. Simple as that.

I tried explaining this to a coworker yesterday. It's a foreign concept to people. She tried to argue that it was just a knife. I tried to explain to her that a knife is still a deadly weapon.
K division.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 pm

The media's accounting of this and other trials is completely fallacious.
http://www.torontosun.com/videos/2620638413001

As it relates to David Cavanagh,
79 I find that there is no evidence from which a reasonable jury, properly instructed, could infer that the shooting of Eric Osawe was a deliberate act. I also find that the only potential conclusion on the evidence is that P.C. Cavanagh used his firearm in a manner consistent with professional standards. No reasonable jury, properly instructed, could find that there was a marked departure from the standard of care of a reasonably prudent ETF officer in the circumstances of this case. Therefore, there is no evidence from which a reasonable jury, properly instructed could conclude that P.C. Cavanagh carelessly used his firearm.
[...]
81 I discharge P.C. Cavanagh on the sole count of second degree murder and any potential included offences.
ImageImage

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:58 am

Shawshank wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:

I tried explaining this to a coworker yesterday. It's a foreign concept to people. She tried to argue that it was just a knife. I tried to explain to her that a knife is still a deadly weapon.

This is the crux of these arguments... People do not want to accept that a knife is deadly.... Until they go up against one, they will never change their opinion...
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton