NHL Playoffs

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Sly
Rookie Member

Re: NHL Playoffs

Postby Sly » Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 am

Some classic NHL hockey being played tonight in Ottawa...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... AQtabmrV7Q

What a great game to watch, as far as physicality goes anyways.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Mon May 06, 2013 2:31 am

basketcase wrote:There was nothing out there that deserves suspensions except for one play. The referees did what they had to do on the ice to try and get some control back. The penalties that were there were called. There were quite a few bad ones both ways and quite a few missed ones that were definitely impact calls and should have been called. The only suspension will be to Rene Bourque for his elbow to the head of whichever Ottawa player it was (can't remember).

The player who swung his stick two handed at the back of an opponent's unprotected leg, is certainly an action deserving of a suspension in my view.

basketcase wrote:Subban is an embarrassment to the Montreal Canadiens and I really wish they'd have not signed him. He takes terrible penalties at terrible times yet acts as if he didn't know it was coming. I don't know why Michel Therrien keeps putting up with his bullshit.

Yea his team seems to have had enough of him, but we shall see. He's a pretty tough guy fighting Turris, especially when he was on the ground...
http://youtu.be/uD_7N2wvz0g

basketcase wrote: Paul McLean taking a timeout with 17 seconds left in a 6-1 game is gutless. The only thing missing from this game was the coaches running at each other like in the early 90's. Therrien's better than that though and he took it up with the ref and let him know how he felt.

This is the NHL, this isn't minor hockey. If the Montreal Canadiens are going to start a line brawl (of which they lost every fight), then they better expect to get embarrassed. You can't in one breath demand that teams play with class, and then in the next breath say its ok to two-hand a guy on the back of the leg.

If you notice, the timeout was where McLean was instructing the players to lineup at some distance to avoid a fight. Which they did, and given the penalties that Montreal had taken and the fact that Therrien put Prust (a fighter) on the ice, it seemed completely reasonable.

"I didn't know what was going to happen next. I felt bad for the referees but they wouldn't let me bring my players back to the bench so I could tell them what I wanted them to do. My only recourse was to take the timeout because I didn't want anyone to get hurt," said MacLean.
"It was already getting dumb enough as it was. I've got two important players on my team. I've got still got games to play. We're not giving them a freebee. There's already enough of that. In order to protect my players, under circumstances that were instigated by the Montreal Canadiens, I was forced to protect my players. I will do that every time."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... -ugly.html

basketcase wrote:Josh Gorges should have fired the puck at the Ottawa bench, not the Ottawa d-man.

Yes, because that wouldn't be gutless...and I believe he shot the puck at Turris (who is a forward).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 am

Sorry, I don't follow hockey in depth enough to know the etiquette - what is the problem with the time out being called?
K division.

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah

Postby Borderwatchman » Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

Subban fell back to his old antics; Price was his usual inconsistent self; rest of the team gave up. Overall, a shitty performance by all.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm

basketcase wrote: Paul McLean taking a timeout with 17 seconds left in a 6-1 game is gutless.

That's funny as hell.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 pm

We were pretty popular in the Luxor sports book watching the game with our Sens jerseys on that night. The Americans were loving it. White needs to realize that he's not Brad Marchand at some point. What a glue-bag to put his team in that position with the line brawl - did he not look around the ice and realize who was on with him and who they were lined up against? MacLeans use of the time out was great, and very well reasoned for anyone who listened to the post-game. Not like Capuano doing something similar with a late time-out, but one of many smart coaching decisions looking out for the teams best interests. I would have loved for MacLean to have dropped a walrus reference in the post-game, but he has more class than that. Therrien calling MacLean classless yet he put's Prust on the ice during a 5 on 3 late in the game? The guy's a moron, who almost ran right through Anderson with a couple of seconds left in the game. Between that posturing, Gorges shooting the puck at Turris, Subban crossing the line and continuing to fight/dry-hump Turris when they were on the ice - the Canadiens had the balls to accuse the Sens of being classless? Give me a break. A plug like Prust making the comments that he did about MacLean - a strong Jack Adams candidate and former point a game player in the league to the media - goes to show who has less class.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 pm

The only two things I saw wrong with what happened in that game was obviously Subban's bullshit. I mean who goes after Kyle Turris?

And as much as it pains me to say it because I do genuinely love watching the kid play....but Brendan Gallagher jumping/sucker punching Conacher like that AFTER he had just taken an elbow from Prust was a bitch move.

Other than those 2 events I thought the game was great emotional playoff hockey. The timeout....whatever...I thought it was funny.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

And Price got hung out to dry by Therrien - he never should have finished that game unless they had no intention in starting him in the next one.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 pm

You're crying about a little two hand jab to the back of the leg like it's the end of the world. The first call that was blown in that game was the cross check to Subbans face. Or did you forget about that one because you're a Sens fan? There was no need for the league to get involvd in anything except for the head checks for the sake of consistency. In fact, I'm surprised Bourque wasn't suspended. You want to talk about cheap shit? What about Neil and the other guy acting like a bunch of wannabe WWE wrestlers because they tuned two of the smallest guys on the ice? I guess there should have been suspensions for those antics as well because there's no need for that stupidity in the ice. Prust on the ice late in the game for a 5-3? Yup. Go watch the YouTube video of the Montreal bench. They had six guys on the bench plus the three on the ice. Good odds Prust was going to see a bit of ice time there. Let' talk about some other cheap shots. Pageau is up against Plekanec on a face off, two hands Plekanec and then cross checks him. The only call made is after Plekanec reacts. Then and only then does the red decide to take both of them. McLean could have told his guys where to lineup without calling a timeout. It's a simple matter of yelling to one guy to lineup back. I don't care if be had a point per game as a player. I don't care if he's a jack Adams candidate either. He's just as guilty for the stupidity that went on as Michel Therrien is. I'm not going to sit here and try to explain how and why Montreal played so poorly. A serious lack of defense and pucks hitting the back of the net that wouldn't get passed a peewee house league goalie are the reasons. Did Therrien leve Price out to dry? Yes he sure did. I would have done the same thing. If he wants to play tha bad and the team in front of him doesn't want to play, I'm sure as hell not going to bring in the guy on the bench who is full of confidence to finish off a blowout. Budaj will play start the next game tomorrow night.

Bottom line in this series is the officiating crews have lost control and can't get it back. The series is full of good old school hockey rivalries and it makes it that much more fun to watch. The lack of consistency in the calls is what's fucking everything up.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Mon May 06, 2013 11:58 pm

basketcase wrote:You're crying about a little two hand jab to the back of the leg like it's the end of the world. The first call that was blown in that game was the cross check to Subbans face.

No it was anything but a "little jab", for a second I thought it was a highland games competition and the Ottawa player was a scotch pine that Montreal was trying to hack down. Etiquette is to yell timber when attempting such.

Because Subban has never put a stick in another player's face...I wonder how Pageau teeth are...?

basketcase wrote:Or did you forget about that one because you're a Sens fan?

No I'm not...

basketcase wrote:There was no need for the league to get involvd in anything except for the head checks for the sake of consistency. In fact, I'm surprised Bourque wasn't suspended. You want to talk about cheap shit? What about Neil and the other guy acting like a bunch of wannabe WWE wrestlers because they tuned two of the smallest guys on the ice? I guess there should have been suspensions for those antics as well because there's no need for that stupidity in the ice.

Wasn't that fight started with a Montreal player two handed whack to the (exposed) back of an Ottawa player's leg?

basketcase wrote:Prust on the ice late in the game for a 5-3? Yup. Go watch the YouTube video of the Montreal bench. They had six guys on the bench plus the three on the ice. Good odds Prust was going to see a bit of ice time there.

Yea especially after you're disgruntled about a timeout.

basketcase wrote:Let' talk about some other cheap shots. Pageau is up against Plekanec on a face off, two hands Plekanec and then cross checks him. The only call made is after Plekanec reacts. Then and only then does the red decide to take both of them.

Don't know which play you're talking about.

McLean could have told his guys where to lineup without calling a timeout. It's a simple matter of yelling to one guy to lineup back. I don't care if be had a point per game as a player.

But the referee wouldn't let his players go to the bench. He had a timeout and decided to use it.

basketcase wrote:Bottom line in this series is the officiating crews have lost control and can't get it back. The series is full of good old school hockey rivalries and it makes it that much more fun to watch. The lack of consistency in the calls is what's fucking everything up.

I don't agree on the consistency, but I do agree the officiating hasn't applied a good standard. Stick infractions need to be called early and consistently. Sticks striking players on the midriff or exposed areas are not hockey plays. Regardless of the team...hopefully the next crew will recognize this and set the standard early...

Tuesday's game should be exciting to say the least.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am

White retaliated to a crosscheck and he caught the guy in the back of the leg. It was hardly a tree dropping two hander. If it was the Sens player wouldn't have bounced back up so fast to fight.

Subban's high stick was a fluke. His stick rode up Pageau's stick and caught him in the mouth. If you watch the replay he had one hand on the stick trying to do a stick check. The cross check to Subban's face was a two handed jab. That's why it's a cross check.

McLean didn't have to bring the guys to the bench to tell them not to line up for a normal faceoff. There was a line change. Do you really think coaches call the player to the bench to set up for every faceoff? There's always a plan in place and it's done well before the faceoff comes. It's not like it crept up on him. I'm not disgruntled about the timeout. I said Paul McLean's an idiot. Big difference. It's my opinion. Not sure why you want to break it down more than that.

Go back and watch the replays of the last 15 minutes. You'll see where Pageau goes at Plekanec off the faceoff and it's only called when Plekanec retaliates. You can disagree about the consistency all you want but the officiating in this and a few of the other series' has been absolutely brutal.

At the end of the day there was one call that earned a suspension that didn't happen for whatever reason.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

basketcase wrote:White retaliated to a crosscheck and he caught the guy in the back of the leg. It was hardly a tree dropping two hander. If it was the Sens player wouldn't have bounced back up so fast to fight.

A cross check to the bicep is not a vulnerable area its covered by the elbow/shoulder pads. A two-handed swing to the back of the legs is. You're a hockey ref you ought to know better.
Subban's high stick was a fluke. His stick rode up Pageau's stick and caught him in the mouth. If you watch the replay he had one hand on the stick trying to do a stick check.

And that makes him any less guilty because...?

I said Paul McLean's an idiot. Big difference. It's my opinion. Not sure why you want to break it down more than that.

I think he's actually a good coach. And your view I guess is echoed by Montreal players calling him a fat walrus. I'm certain that rings of class

Go back and watch the replays of the last 15 minutes. You'll see where Pageau goes at Plekanec off the faceoff and it's only called when Plekanec retaliates.

Watched last 15 couldn't find what you're talking about.

You can disagree about the consistency all you want but the officiating in this and a few of the other series' has been absolutely brutal.

The standard has been poorly implemented/set.

At the end of the day there was one call that earned a suspension that didn't happen for whatever reason.

I wonder why...? How about the shooting the puck at the player at the end of the game...was that some more of Montreal's class?

I'm excited for tonight, I want to see Ottawa repeat their win, although I'm certain Montreal won't allow that to happen so easily...it should be exciting.
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Way too much time to analyze stuff line by line. Whether or not I'm a referee has nothing to do with anything. A penalty is called based on what happened. Not whether or not its a vulnerable area. A slash to the shinpad is the same as a slash to the back of the leg. No injury, no attempt to injure, no major. There was nothing with that play that deserved a major. A cross check is a cross check no matter where it is.

Check out 10:31. That's when Pageau and Plekanec both took the penalties shortly after the faceoff.

Just because I think McLean is an idiot doesn't mean I'm sitting here calling him a walrus or think its classy that people are saying that. How about we stop trying to put words in my mouth. I haven't tried that on your side.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 pm

basketcase wrote:Way too much time to analyze stuff line by line.Whether or not I'm a referee has nothing to do with anything.A penalty is called based on what happened. Not whether or not its a vulnerable area. A slash to the shinpad is the same as a slash to the back of the leg. No injury, no attempt to injure, no major. There was nothing with that play that deserved a major.

So you're saying a player who takes a two handed slash to a players head is no more dangerous than that to a shin pad. I ask you this, what purpose does a slash to the back of the leg have, especially when the player doesn't have the puck? I don't know how that could be remotely classified as "hockey play". The reason why it gets elevated is because there is a higher propensity for injury when you strike an unprotected/vulnerable area.

As for the swing of the stick, please review Rule 6.1 (a) Situation 5 where it specifically mentions a swing of the stick and attempt to injure...
basketcase wrote: A cross check is a cross check no matter where it is.

Really, is that so? How about a cross-check in the back into the boards/net? Still just a cross-check or does that get elevated to a check from behind?

Again officiating was disappointing. Namely because it was unpredictable.

It was a great game, way for Ottawa to battle back being two down. Price is injured, will he be back next game?
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 pm

A check from behind is a check from behind. A stick doesn't have to be used for a check from behind. Rule 6.1 talks about appointing Captains. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26282) so I'm not sure what that has to do with this argument. Besides the point, a slash to the head is clearly an attempt to injure. A slash to the leg is not. White was cross checked, he retaliated with a slash and Smith threw the gloves down and went at him. Then the appropriate penalties were assessed.
OFFICER OF THE LAW