Graf Skates

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Graf Skates

Postby basketcase » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am

Anybody have skates made by Graf? If so have you ever had to deal with them for customer service issues? I've had to change the runners in my skates twice in the past year because the mount is breaking. I'm thinkin the system with the screw to tighten the runner is not the most effective. Talked with a guy in their head office about it and he referred me to their customer service department. Hopefully there's something they can do about it because I don't feel like dropping $600 on new skates two years after doing that already. If I do I'll be switching back to Bauer in a heart beat.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Sly
Rookie Member

Re: Graf Skates

Postby Sly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm

I have never dealt directly with Graf myself; however, I have had to send my skates to them a few times over the years. My first repair was under warranty, I took it to my local pro shop where I bought them. They shipped them off to there Calgary factory and three weeks later I received my skates back. I did the same thing for my second repair, and despite my warranty being expired I was never charged for the repair as it was a known manufacturer flaw.

It may not hurt to find an authorized Graf dealer near you and speak with them. They generally will have the contact information for a representative and might be able to make some phone calls. I know some guys I ref hockey with who sent there skates off for repair and Graf provided a loaner pair to them for the three-four weeks.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks Sly. There are definitely Graf dealers in the area here. I fired off an email to the rep and I'm just waiting to hear back. If I can get a loaner pair that'd work out well for me. I'm thinking with what I put in the email I won't be paying for the repair to be done either. I'd love to score a new pair of skates (won't happen lol)but at the end of the day as long as the problem gets fixed I'm happy.

My skates don't go through a lot. I ref and play pickup hockey. There's spot where the plastic is cracked and I know I didn't take a puck there. If I had, I'd have felt it.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Figured I'd throw an update in this. After going back and forth for a few emails, Graf offered me a replacement pair of skates. Not G70's, which mine are, because they've been out of production for a few years. But they've offered to send me a pair of G535S which are still a decent skate I'm told.

I have to say I'm impressed with their customer service and how quick the turnaround was. I guess they didn't like that I'd flip back to Bauer in a heartbeat :twisted:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Graf's are shit. Back when I was playing a high level of hockey I got into Bauer's. Like an idiot In my early twenties I decided to switch over to Graf as a couple guys from the regiment were using them. I wore them for a season and finally just ate it and spent the few hundred bucks to go back to Bauer's.

That said...Graf's customer service seems quite impressive
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm

used to have all Bauer, but switched over to CCM (many moons ago was free in OHL officiating)and have never looked back. Would never go to these "android" brands!
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Sly
Rookie Member

Postby Sly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 am

Basket, glad all worked out.

Really I think skates simply come down to the individual. I didn't buy Grafs for the name, they just fit my feet the best. I have never had lace bite since I switched.

PS, good to know their are some other referees on the forum!

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 am

I've never worn Grafs before. While I have tried numerous pairs on, the Bauers seem to fit my wide shaped foot a lot better.
I referee hockey at a decently high level. I am the odd guy out as all my fellow officials only wear the Graf brand skates. To each their own.
The Bauer skates I have now have been worn for 5 years without any problems. Only changed the blades twice as I sharpen my skates almost bi-weekly.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Got the new Graf's yesterday and in a wider fit they fit much better than the old ones. What's a decently high level to officiate in?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 am

HwyBear wrote:used to have all Bauer, but switched over to CCM (many moons ago was free in OHL officiating)and have never looked back. Would never go to these "android" brands!

I did the same. Went from Bauer to RBK (essentially CCM) and loved them ever since.

Now methinks I know who you are... :twisted:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:40 pm

AnthonyK wrote:I've never worn Grafs before. While I have tried numerous pairs on, the Bauers seem to fit my wide shaped foot a lot better.
I referee hockey at a decently high level. I am the odd guy out as all my fellow officials only wear the Graf brand skates. To each their own.
The Bauer skates I have now have been worn for 5 years without any problems. Only changed the blades twice as I sharpen my skates almost bi-weekly.

Junior B, Midget AAA, and down.
Wanted to break into Junior A level, but shift work is a big hindrance.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:52 pm

I did Junior A up in the NOJHL. It wasn't all that bad with shift work. It's trying to get the games in when the minor hockey schedules are coming in at the same time. I was often trying to find people to skate my games last minute which wasn't always fair.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Well I figured I would revive an old thread. Same issues with the Graf skates that I was having before so I'm now sporting Bauer skates again. Went with the Bauer Nexus. Nice classic looking all black skate which is great for reffing hockey. Nothing too flashy a la Bauer Vapour and enough protection to get me through officiating and playing.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm

I've got a set of the bauer vapor (mid level model). Heat molded for good fit and lots of support / padding.
The entry models don't seen to come in extra wide sizes and the proper fit is worth the extra $$.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:04 pm

The Nexus I picked up are also heat molded and fit well. They had the size and width I required. I have a pair of Vapor XX which were high level when I bought them quite a few years back. I switched over to Graf because I was spending more time officiating than playing and wanted a model of skate that wouldn't be too flashy. As you know the Vapor's have a certain amount of bling look to them compared to a black boot and the silver stands out.

That being said I'll probably go back to using the Vapor XX to play and use the Nexus to officiate. The Nexus is a really nice skate and fit well. I tried a few different variations and oddly enough the less expensive one had the more comfortable boot compared to the Nexus 800 or Nexus 1000. I'm not playing defense as an official and I'm generally not getting hit in the feet with full power slap shots so there's no need to pay for the extra protection. Not to mention a boot that is too stiff as an official just doesn't help with the agility that's required.

I've heard rumblings from a couple of different sources that Graf is having some rough times as well. I clearly don't have an insider and don't know how true this is, but I do know that their customer service hasn't been the best to deal with lately for all of the issues I've had. Complete opposite of what I've faced with Bauer and what the experience was like before.

Here's a picture of the new skate. Compared it with some higher end Graf's and it's three times the skate; easily!

At the end of the day.....you can't beat the Tuuk holders :P
OFFICER OF THE LAW