Raffi Torres

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Raffi Torres

Postby meathead1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Just heard Torres got 25 games for rubbing out Hossa with that cheap hit. Shannahan lowering the boom!
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Re: Raffi Torres

Postby recceguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm not a Torres fan....think he's a moron. But that suspension was nothing more than a league who was under fire for doing nothing on the Weber head smash, make a scapegoat out of a repeat offender.

Dirty hit? Yep. Dirt hit worth 25 games? Nope
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:13 pm

recceguy wrote:I'm not a Torres fan....think he's a moron. But that suspension was nothing more than a league who was under fire for doing nothing on the Weber head smash, make a scapegoat out of a repeat offender.

I agree
!!!2008!!!

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Shanahan going to work in the league office to deal with discipline is the next worst thing to happen to the NHL. Gary Bettman was the worst.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:39 pm

basketcase wrote:Shanahan going to work in the league office to deal with discipline is the next worst thing to happen to the NHL. Gary Bettman was the worst.

Although I would have picked someone else, what's wrong with Shanahan?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 pm

gotchya wrote:
basketcase wrote:Shanahan going to work in the league office to deal with discipline is the next worst thing to happen to the NHL. Gary Bettman was the worst.

Although I would have picked someone else, what's wrong with Shanahan?

When he was a player? Absolutely nothing. As a league disciplinarian? Take a look at his track record. Absolutely no consistency in the suspensions handed out. There have been several similar incidents some which had suspensions, others which have had fines, and others which have had nothing at all. Then the next time something happens and there's public outcry you end up with a 25 game suspension handed out as a reaction to the outcry.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:09 pm

basketcase wrote:When he was a player? Absolutely nothing. As a league disciplinarian? Take a look at his track record. Absolutely no consistency in the suspensions handed out. There have been several similar incidents some which had suspensions, others which have had fines, and others which have had nothing at all. Then the next time something happens and there's public outcry you end up with a 25 game suspension handed out as a reaction to the outcry.

I agree, however, the issue with the NHL is that they have for one reason or another, been inconsistent in their administration of suspensions. I believe they are inconsistent because they don't want to see their "stars' get suspended. Having discussed the matter with a former NHL referee, he stated his objection to league's approach, noting that some of the most violent players never seem to get suspended.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:12 pm

How many suspensions have you seen Crosby or Malkin serve for some of their stupidity?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:13 pm

basketcase wrote:How many suspensions have you seen Crosby or Malkin serve for some of their stupidity?

I agree, that was the complaint, among other players he was ranting about.
ImageImage

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Absolutely no consistency in the suspensions handed out. There have been several similar incidents some which had suspensions, others which have had fines, and others which have had nothing at all. Then the next time something happens and there's public outcry you end up with a 25 game suspension handed out as a reaction to the outcry.

Simple solution - a system where certain offences get you certain penalties. No room for bias or the penalty being dictated by the amount of dust it stirs up with the public.

Open ice hits where the puck is no where near the "play" are dirty and uncalled for. That's not hockey...

As for Crosby....he's a big girl. Needs to stop being such a whiner...makes Canadian players look bad.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:04 pm

devilwoman wrote:Simple solution - a system where certain offences get you certain penalties. No room for bias or the penalty being dictated by the amount of dust it stirs up with the public.

I believe a judge already threw that out as violating rights and freedoms, oh wait this is hockey, yes I agree, a minimum suspension should be assigned and then add on to it as the situation requires.
ImageImage

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Hockey Canada has a minimum suspension list and it works well. When I'm reffing hockey and the coach or manager ask me about a suspension for tossing a kid out of the game I just tell them to look it up.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 pm

basketcase wrote:Hockey Canada has a minimum suspension list and it works well. When I'm reffing hockey and the coach or manager ask me about a suspension for tossing a kid out of the game I just tell them to look it up.

Yes, I love it too. Although I still have coaches, who seem to believe there is a "playoff suspensions list and rule book".... :roll:
ImageImage

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:09 am

recceguy wrote:I'm not a Torres fan....think he's a moron. But that suspension was nothing more than a league who was under fire for doing nothing on the Weber head smash, make a scapegoat out of a repeat offender.

Pretty much. That SHOULD have been in the 10-12 game range, not 25. I mean, for fuck sakes, Chris Simon only got 30 games for trying to take Ryan Holweg's head off with a hockey stick!
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.