Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts Rant

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
pukie
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: LLL Division
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby pukie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 pm

The lefties are starting to show themselves in this thread.

User avatar
Bubbles1993
Regular Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: NS
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Bubbles1993 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:56 pm

pukie wrote:The lefties are starting to show themselves in this thread.


That's me for sure. Card carryin' commie :roll:
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: LLL Division
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby pukie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Bubbles1993 wrote:
pukie wrote:The lefties are starting to show themselves in this thread.


That's me for sure. Card carryin' commie :roll:




That's funny. I never mentioned any names.

User avatar
Bubbles1993
Regular Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: NS
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Bubbles1993 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 pm

pukie wrote:
Bubbles1993 wrote:
pukie wrote:The lefties are starting to show themselves in this thread.


That's me for sure. Card carryin' commie :roll:


That's funny. I never mentioned any names.


I know.

I just don't see how anyone views on one incident can give too much insight into their political views. I find this forum increasingly tries to label someone left or right and then discount their opinion because of it. I don't think issues are that simple. Your post reminded me of that. My response could have been better articulated I suppose but at least I didn't shoot my laptop.
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Mr. Islander » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:02 pm

.
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Toonces
King Poobah
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Toonces » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 pm

I gotta say, I can completely relate to dad. Completely. 100%. I've been there. The only difference is I didn't want to alienate my husband and his family by acting as this girl's father did - which I know would've happened.

Every day I wonder why the fuck we bought her that goddamn computer. I deluded myself into thinking she'd use it for school work. Parents of kids, don't make the mistake of buying your kid a laptop! One central family computer is fine.

Interestingly, the father now completely regrets his choice to make that video. He regrets all the attention it grabbed.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

User avatar
Hired Goon
Sage Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:16 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Hired Goon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 pm

I agree with his reasoning, and commend him for setting limits. But there were better ways to get his point across.

Since kids often emulate behaviour, look at a couple of the underlying messages:
-In this family, they don't talk stuff out, they ambush each other with online flame wars.
-When we're upset at each other, it's ok to trash property.

He shouldn't be too surprised when he's come home in the future to find she's trashed the TV because she was pissed. There was very little to be learned through this about respect or boundaries.

And I whole heartedly agree that he's the adult here so should have kept it in house. His behaviour was just as childish in the end and really will do nothing to make her a better person. He escalated the cycle they've had. I'd be surprised if her next action was anything but more outlandish at some point.
Hired Goon

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby 48highlander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am

Hired Goon wrote:I agree with his reasoning, and commend him for setting limits. But there were better ways to get his point across.

Since kids often emulate behaviour, look at a couple of the underlying messages:
-In this family, they don't talk stuff out, they ambush each other with online flame wars.
-When we're upset at each other, it's ok to trash property.

He shouldn't be too surprised when he's come home in the future to find she's trashed the TV because she was pissed. There was very little to be learned through this about respect or boundaries.

And I whole heartedly agree that he's the adult here so should have kept it in house. His behaviour was just as childish in the end and really will do nothing to make her a better person. He escalated the cycle they've had. I'd be surprised if her next action was anything but more outlandish at some point.


Have any of you actually gone on to his facebook to read his follow up posts? He had tried other/softer/kinder methods, apparently they didn't stick with the kid. So he one upped it. Now according to him (and you are free to dismiss, but I don't think he is going to lie given all the attention this is getting), is daughter has accepted what happened, clearly not happy losing the laptop, but realized she f'ed up and was taking her parents for granted. At least she knows that her dad isn't one to make idle empty threats. How many of us have seen/experienced parents who threaten to discipline their kid only to either not follow through, or simply cave in.

User avatar
Hired Goon
Sage Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:16 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Hired Goon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 am

48highlander wrote:Have any of you actually gone on to his facebook to read his follow up posts?


Yep.

He had tried other/softer/kinder methods, apparently they didn't stick with the kid. So he one upped it.


Understood that kinder gentler didn't work. They funny thing about kids, especially teens, is that they will push your limits, and will defy you and drive you crazy. Most likely repeatedly. Parenting is not about "one upping". What's next for this guy? Will he be forced to set fire to her car if she comes home after curfew to "one up" it?

Now according to him (and you are free to dismiss, but I don't think he is going to lie given all the attention this is getting), is daughter has accepted what happened, clearly not happy losing the laptop, but realized she f'ed up and was taking her parents for granted.


I have no doubt that he's telling the truth, that his daughter is straightened up.....for now. She's 16, she's got a few years of screwing up, rebelling, and making hurtful statements to her parents. Doesn't make her a bad kid, just a teen. Where does he go from here then? If he's gotta blast stuff whenever he's at the end of his rope to make a point, it's gonna be a loooong set of teen years for him. If it turns out that she straightens up permanently, then fantastic. But that would likely be to the rest of his parenting. He seems like a good dude when you read his other posts. He says that this 8 minutes is not his best example of parenting. And I think that would have a HUGE chance of causing unintended consequences if used on most teens.

At least she knows that her dad isn't one to make idle empty threats. How many of us have seen/experienced parents who threaten to discipline their kid only to either not follow through, or simply cave in.


Agree on that. Good that he set boundaries and followed through. Not enough of that in this country. Like was mentioned earlier, give the computer to someone less fortunate, if you really think she shouldn't have it. Shows a good message about boundaries, and not to destroy stuff when we are upset. Or lock it away and have her earn it back.

And I don't think that he's a bad guy like many on his FB have posted. He was just a frustrated dad. I've got kids and there are days I feel like shooting stuff up too. I just don't think that what he did was the best way it could have been handled. The main issue I have with the video is that it doesn't actually model the behaviour he wants in his kid. Which is SUPER important in parenting. One thing that kids are quick to call you on is "do as I say, not as I do."

I stand by that it was childish on his part. She posted a rant on the Web, so he posted a rant on the web, he took the same course of action and spoke in the same manner as his child, hence, acting like his child...childish. He's even posted on his website that some of the stuff he said to his daughter was disrespectful and he wouldn't have posted it if he had to do it again, as it's been hurtful to his daughter. And the fact that it's on the web means it's out there forever. He regrets that he can't take it down. He did what every parent FEELS like doing.

No parent is perfect, I just think that calling him a "hero" like many have done is a little extreme and sends some mixed messages about handling yourself as a parent.
Hired Goon

User avatar
Hired Goon
Sage Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:16 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Hired Goon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 am

Ok. That was a bit long.

The short version.

When I go to calls where parents are pissed at their kids, I generally give them advice OTHER THAN shooting up their kids' stuff....... ;)
Hired Goon

Pierre-Marc Larocque
Regular Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2000 1:01 am
Location: National Capital Area
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Pierre-Marc Larocque » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Interesting,

Reminds me when I was about 9-10 and had a cap gun that looked exactly like my Dad's service revolver. Even after being told that I shouldn't be pointing that thing at others, my dad caught me pointing it at our neighbour's direction (I don't even think our neighbour noticed).

I still remember sitting there as dad took the toy gun and placed it in the bench-vise and broke into pieces with a hammer. While I've done many, many stupid things since then, I've learned that a) do something stupid and you'll get caught; and, b) there are consequences to not following the rules.
"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Fred A. Allen

"To create rules is the will of many; to enforce them is the duty of few" - Me

User avatar
HwyBear
Moderator
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby HwyBear » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Toonces wrote:Every day I wonder why the fuck we bought her that goddamn computer. I deluded myself into thinking she'd use it for school work. Parents of kids, don't make the mistake of buying your kid a laptop! One central family computer is fine..


take it to an IT tech and have the modem and WiFi stuff removed, no more internet!
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

User avatar
Sly
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Sly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:08 pm

I would like to commend him on choosing to use a 1911 to destroy the girls laptop.

I also like the fact, right or wrong that he isn't coddling his child....to many parents do that these days.

User avatar
Toonces
King Poobah
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby Toonces » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:36 pm

HwyBear wrote:
Toonces wrote:Every day I wonder why the fuck we bought her that goddamn computer. I deluded myself into thinking she'd use it for school work. Parents of kids, don't make the mistake of buying your kid a laptop! One central family computer is fine..


take it to an IT tech and have the modem and WiFi stuff removed, no more internet!

You missed the part where I said I was just a stepmom and have no say.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Dad Shoots Daughters Laptop on Youtube after she posts R

Postby 48highlander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Toonces wrote:
HwyBear wrote:
Toonces wrote:Every day I wonder why the fuck we bought her that goddamn computer. I deluded myself into thinking she'd use it for school work. Parents of kids, don't make the mistake of buying your kid a laptop! One central family computer is fine..


take it to an IT tech and have the modem and WiFi stuff removed, no more internet!

You missed the part where I said I was just a stepmom and have no say.


Depending on your home network setup, you could just block all internet traffic/limit access times to your kid's computer, through the router settings. No need to touch her actual computer


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest