Motorcyclist Dies Protesting Helmet Law

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
MS

Re: Motorcyclist Dies Protesting Helmet Law

Postby MS » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Whew, death by papercuts.... good thing I don't come here for reassurance and self esteem! Good talkin to you.

Gustapo
Rookie Member

Postby Gustapo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:11 pm

The wonder of the internet is you can voice your OPINION openly, and get called a tool for doing so.

:wave:
We've idiot-proofed the world, and now it's full of idiots.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:14 pm

The opinion expressed regarding not having these types of laws, is one rooted in ignorance and not an informed opinion.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Gustapo
Rookie Member

Postby Gustapo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:28 pm

VanB wrote:
Gustapo wrote:The wonder of the internet is you can voice your OPINION openly, and get called a tool for doing so.

:wave:

Not that I'm necessarily in favour of the debating tactic of calling people names, but just as you are free to express your opinion on helmets, isn't he equally entitled to express his opinion that you're a tool?

Exactly! Let the poo flinging commence.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:43 pm

VanB wrote:as you are free to express your opinion on helmets, isn't he equally entitled to express his opinion that you're a tool?

Yes and no... I'll say this though.
I visit several web forums covering a few different topics/interests, but it's this one.. Blue Line, where supposedly participants are of a higher moral calibre (or at least think they are) where baseless mud slinging/name calling is most rampant.

It's of little consequence 'cause really... It's just the intertoob, but I do find it funny how when anyone veers one tiny bit away from what the hive-mind of BL thinks... They get clobbered.

I like that old saying I'm sure everyones mom used, but few remember...

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

So flame away.. I'm putting in my ear buds, crankin' some tunes, puttin' on my helmet and riding up to the cottage...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:50 am

meathead1 wrote:you know, i advocate you riding around with no lid on. You can't end up any worse off than you already are.

Best. Line. Ever. :bow:

And for what it's worth, while some of us may be tempted to let Mr. Darwin have his way with your idiotic "hair-blowing-in-the-wind" philosophy, the laws are there for a reason.

Most of our society values life over leisure, and intelligence over stupidity, and like everyone's already said, we value spending our healthcare tax dollars on something other than your unprotected noggin.

The only reason a law is even required is because you non-helmet-wearers choose to ignore the wealth of scientific evidence demonstrating that helmets save lives and faces, simply because it cramps your style, and you need to be forced to wear them. Same goes for seatbelts.

The statistical benefit (and hence societal benefit) by compelling helmet use, in my opinion, far outweigh any perceived infringement of personal "head liberties". I have yet to see a compelling reason why a helmet should NOT be worn. Anyone?
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Gustapo
Rookie Member

Postby Gustapo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:10 am

I'm all for laws that matter. I am not for dinky, nitpicky laws that bog our overcrowded, under staffed, and publicly funded judicial system down with paternal bullshit. I am also the kind of guy who has a mind of my own, and can think for himself. I don't need a law telling me to wear a helmet. Logic does that for me. So in the end, does that law really affect me? No. Do I agree with it being a law? Also no.

*edited for length*

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

And those that actually enforce the law, and understand why it's been implemented are giving their opinions to the uninformed. You don't do death notifications and you don't attend these scenes.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:35 pm

VanB wrote:
Bitterman wrote:
VanB wrote:as you are free to express your opinion on helmets, isn't he equally entitled to express his opinion that you're a tool?

I visit several web forums covering a few different topics/interests, but it's this one.. Blue Line, where supposedly participants are of a higher moral calibre (or at least think they are) where baseless mud slinging/name calling is most rampant.

It's of little consequence 'cause really... It's just the intertoob, but I do find it funny how when anyone veers one tiny bit away from what the hive-mind of BL thinks... They get clobbered.

Yet you keep coming back. If the members of this forum are so out of touch with your ideals then why continue to subject yourself to these people who fall so short of this standard of a higher moral calibre?

I can't figure out that one either. WHY would such an enlightened free-thinking individual put down his (signed) copies of The Social Contract and Candide, adjust his wire-rimmed glasses, extinguish his pipe, and waste his time slumming with us simple pugs?!

I figure it's either because he needs us to remind him of what a sublime thinker he truly is, or he's just ensuring Blueline maintains the requisite number of Marty Feldman avatars...
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 am

Well... I don't smoke, wear glasses or read...

As for Feldman... Well, there is a quota you know.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

gonqgrad
Sage Member

Postby gonqgrad » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Gustapo wrote:I'm all for laws that matter. I am not for dinky, nitpicky laws that bog our overcrowded, under staffed, and publicly funded judicial system down with paternal bullshit. I am also the kind of guy who has a mind of my own, and can think for himself. I don't need a law telling me to wear a helmet. Logic does that for me. So in the end, does that law really affect me? No. Do I agree with it being a law? Also no.

*edited for length*

By the same logic, I don't need a law telling me not to drink and drive. I also do not require the laws regarding assault, incest, theft of oysters, or hundreds of dozens of others. I also have a rudimentary grasp of logical reasoning to stay away from activities that are harmful to my well-being. I am however gainfully employed because of the hordes of people that need all types of laws and process in place to regulate their actions. You might not see a personal need for a law, but there are many other folks who would drive this society back into the stone age without them.

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

Every time I see a OMG biker funeral ride where they don't wear helmets, I always hope someone up front will spike his rear brake, low side and take out the entire rat parade like a bowling alley strike. ;)

Ottawan
Veteran Member

Postby Ottawan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:36 am

Edit
Last edited by Ottawan on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.