Motorcyclist Dies Protesting Helmet Law

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
ryan.p
Rookie Member

Motorcyclist Dies Protesting Helmet Law

Postby ryan.p » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 pm

I guess this sort of defines irony.

A New York man died Sunday while participating in a ride with 550 other motorcyclists to protest the state's mandatory helmet law.

Police said Philip A. Contos, 55, hit his brakes and his motorcycle fishtailed. Contos was sent over the handlebars of his 1983 Harley Davidson and hit his head on the pavement.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

"The medical expert we discussed the case with who pronounced him deceased stated that he would've no doubt survived the accident had he been wearing a helmet," state Trooper Jack Keller told ABC News 9 in Syracuse.

The ride Sunday was organized by American Bikers Aimed Toward Education, known as ABATE, a group of motorcycling enthusiasts who lobby for motorcycle awareness and freedom.

The Onondaga chapter of ABATE has sponsored the helmet protest ride for the past 11 years every July 4 weekend.

"ABATE is very saddened and still shocked about the fact that we've lost another rider in Philip and that our hearts go out to him and our prayers as well," Syracuse chapter president Christinea Rathbun told ABC News 9.

New York is one of 20 states that requires motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Jim Hedlund of the Governors Highway Safety Association told the Associated Press that a helmet meeting federal standards reduces the chance of fatality in an accident by more than 40 percent.

Still, ABATE believes each motorcyclist should have a choice how they ride.

"Mandatory helmet laws do nothing to prevent accidents," it says on the ABATE of New York website. "The decision on when to wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle should remain with each responsible adult rider."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-rider-die ... d=13993417
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Parking159

Re: Motorcyclist Dies Protesting Helmet Law

Postby Parking159 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Darwin Award nominee. :roll:
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:41 pm

ryan.p wrote:I guess this sort of defines irony.

A New York man died Sunday while participating in a ride with 550 other motorcyclists to protest the state's mandatory helmet law.

Police said Philip A. Contos, 55, hit his brakes and his motorcycle fishtailed. Contos was sent over the handlebars of his 1983 Harley Davidson and hit his head on the pavement.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

"The medical expert we discussed the case with who pronounced him deceased stated that he would've no doubt survived the accident had he been wearing a helmet," state Trooper Jack Keller told ABC News 9 in Syracuse.

The ride Sunday was organized by American Bikers Aimed Toward Education, known as ABATE, a group of motorcycling enthusiasts who lobby for motorcycle awareness and freedom.

The Onondaga chapter of ABATE has sponsored the helmet protest ride for the past 11 years every July 4 weekend.

"ABATE is very saddened and still shocked about the fact that we've lost another rider in Philip and that our hearts go out to him and our prayers as well," Syracuse chapter president Christinea Rathbun told ABC News 9.

New York is one of 20 states that requires motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Jim Hedlund of the Governors Highway Safety Association told the Associated Press that a helmet meeting federal standards reduces the chance of fatality in an accident by more than 40 percent.

Still, ABATE believes each motorcyclist should have a choice how they ride.

"Mandatory helmet laws do nothing to prevent accidents," it says on the ABATE of New York website. "The decision on when to wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle should remain with each responsible adult rider."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-rider-die ... d=13993417

Somebody should tell that person that helmets aren't supposed to prevent accidents, just serious head injuries when accidents do occur. Image
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Parking159 wrote:Darwin Award nominee. :roll:

+1

Sad but oh so true.

Perhaps his 549 protesting friends may "see the light" after this incident... :crazy:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Sweet sweet Irony.....
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't mind if riders could make the choice to not wear a helmet in Canada provided they forfeit their right to public health care in the event they do get into an accident.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Bald Man wrote:I don't mind if riders could make the choice to not wear a helmet in Canada provided they forfeit their right to public health care in the event they do get into an accident.

agreed
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:38 pm

meathead1 wrote:
Bald Man wrote:I don't mind if riders could make the choice to not wear a helmet in Canada provided they forfeit their right to public health care in the event they do get into an accident.

agreed

X3

Maybe instead of an anti helmet law protest they could organize a tour through a hospital ward for brain injury patients. A helmet would suddenly seem a whole lot better choice than spending the rest of your life in a hospital ward wearing diapers.
Beer Me !

Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 am

Snowman wrote:
meathead1 wrote:

agreed

X3

Maybe instead of an anti helmet law protest they could organize a tour through a hospital ward for brain injury patients. A helmet would suddenly seem a whole lot better choice than spending the rest of your life in a hospital ward wearing diapers.

I'm terrified of head injuries. Even the minor injuries that end up with long term complications. I religiously wear a bicycle helmet and other helmets when recommended. I have dealt with too many people that are far worse off than Gary Busey due to them having their cranium cracked at some point.

Way to go Darwin!

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 am

Parking159 wrote:Darwin Award nominee. :roll:

Here ya go
http://www.darwinawards.com/misc/email.html

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:37 pm

It is ironic, but I feel no need to celebrate the man's death...
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Protesting fail.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 am

Regardless of the law I don't see how anyone can ride at any speed without a skid lid...
Riding without a helmet is just too fuckin' loud for me.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 pm

VanB wrote:While I was on my way home from PC Styles' funeral today I saw a guy on the 407 at the 403 junction riding a crotch rocket with no helmet on. He was going in the opposite direction, otherwise I would have been tempted to pull him over in my serge.

As for the guy mentioned in the article, you can't fix stupid.

I've seen that once before a few years ago on the 427 southbound by the 407... RCMP Member dressed up in serge had a motorist pulled over... must of done something really silly to attract the Officer's attention... Kinda like when Fantino use to have his driver pull people over, I use to hear about that all the time, not so much with the new Commish...
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)