CBSA Land Border Crossing question...

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:24 pm

For the past 7.5 years I have been crossing the Border, usually Queenston / Lewiston to enter the USA, Buffalo / Fort Erie to return to Canada, and sometimes I use the Windsor / Detroit crossing... This past week when returning to Canada via the Windsor / Detroit crossing I did as I have always done, used the Commercial Truck Lanes... The CBSA Agent asked if I was importing the vehicles on the back of the Flatbed Tow Truck I operate, I was not, they were damaged rental cars belonging to Avis Budget Group, the truck I drive is clearly marked "Avis Budget Group", I always have the ownerships for the vehicles I am towing on hand.

She seemed very upset that I was using the Commercial Truck Lanes, I was told that I should be using the Car Lanes. I tried to explain to her that I am in fact a Commercial Vehicle and was following the signs, and at times there are Bridge Authority Staff that direct me into the Commercial Truck Lanes. When she kept on insisting that I should be using the Car Lanes, I mentioned that this was not my first day, that I have been doing this for over 7 years now, and have never encountered an issue.

Has something changed recently? :ponder:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

TMLF

Re: CBSA Land Border Crossing question...

Postby TMLF » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Yup.

"Lookouts" flowing freely with your name and plate... ;)
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:Has something changed recently? :ponder:

They're on to your shady ways...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Edited
Last edited by shoelessjoe on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Hey, Wayne, the next time you cross at the 'Falls, ask if my cousin's daughter, Candace Ricci is on duty and tell her I said hi, which should freak her out. Whatever you do, though, do NOT tick her off, as she might rip your face off!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Photomax
Rookie Member

Postby Photomax » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14 pm

I cross occasionally to do a commercial pick up with my car. My 1st time I came back through the traveller lanes because I thought that's what I was supposed to do in my little VW and shoe box size commercial declaration. They processed it in secondary for me, but made it very clear to me I need to go through the commercial lanes in the future.....so now I get in line with the tractor trailers and hope they can see my little roller skate of a car so I don't become a speed bump.

But why do the GD Yanks make me go in and pay 5 bucks when I tell them I'm crossing into the USA to do a commercial pick up? (rhetorical question)

Westerly

Postby Westerly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Hey, Wayne, the next time you cross at the 'Falls, ask if my cousin's daughter, Candace Ricci is on duty and tell her I said hi, which should freak her out. Whatever you do, though, do NOT tick her off, as she might rip your face off!

Haa, "might" very funny, what an optimist. I heard having stripes makes her more angry.
A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Photomax wrote:I cross occasionally to do a commercial pick up with my car. My 1st time I came back through the traveller lanes because I thought that's what I was supposed to do in my little VW and shoe box size commercial declaration. They processed it in secondary for me, but made it very clear to me I need to go through the commercial lanes in the future.....so now I get in line with the tractor trailers and hope they can see my little roller skate of a car so I don't become a speed bump.

But why do the GD Yanks make me go in and pay 5 bucks when I tell them I'm crossing into the USA to do a commercial pick up? (rhetorical question)

I've been told to go through commercial a few times when towing one of my cars, usually that ends being for an x-ray deal, can't remember if I had to pay the $5.00 U.S. or not.
Beer Me !

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:46 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:Respond Wayne

To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed...though it's been a few years since I've dealt with Commercial flow...sounds to me like you ran into an Officer who would've preferred to have you use the Traveller lanes because they simply didn't want to deal with you...no reason at all that that Officer couldn't simply conduct a Primary interview and Release/Refer you.

Yeah that pretty much fits the bill...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Tow truck not a CMV.... Maybe she's from the MTO!!! But seriously why argue with her you know we LE types don't like to admit when were wrong, we'll argue back just to save face :smirk:
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 am

Edited
Last edited by shoelessjoe on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

I see the lives of people flash before they're very own eyes on a daily basis. This of course is due to their own stupidity. Either cutting off a fully loaded tractor trailer to get one car ahead of the rest, or flying down the highway in reverse to get on the other side of the lineup. Darwinism hasn't set it at our POE, at least not yet...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

We have a commercial lane at one of our district ports.
The actual warehouse is back past the general traveler PIL.
I was watching as some guy in an unmarked chevy pickup cruised past a moderate line of travelers and zip towards the commercial lane.
I was on my way outside seeing this happen, so I yelled at the guy to stop, as his window was down...
He piles on his breaks, looks at me sideways, and says "I'm commercial!" like I could magically read his mind...

:rant: :shame:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]