Happy HST day Canada!

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Happy HST day Canada!

Postby CBR600F4i » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I just wanted to join Gordon Campbell in wishing all of you a happy Canada Day. I haven't bought Canadian gas in six months and likely never will again - as of today Canadian groceries are being added to the list of things I'll never buy again.

I can't wait to vote these pricks out of office. My guess is the arrogant BC Liberals will not secure a single seat in the next election.
Last edited by CBR600F4i on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Re: Happy HST day Canada!

Postby Protector24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Or the ones from Ontario. The problem is if they are voted out, the new government won't repeal the new taxes. Very sad that we all line up for it and take it.

DH
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:11 pm

I couldn't care less. I trust that any more money they raise will be used for stuff that will benefit us.

CO

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Protector24 wrote:It makes me upset to see all these people lining up to sign petitions against the HST when they have no idea what they're opposing. It just became the popular thing to do. I know many people that signed petitions that couldn't tell me 3 things that were getting more expensive as a result. Every economist worth his salt knows that the HST is a good thing for the economy (especially in BC). Too bad nobody listens to the experts.

People oppose the HST because of how it was enacted. The BC Liberals said during the election that it wasn't even on their radar then two months after being re-elected they bring in the HST. The citizenry feels as though they were lied to - that's why there's the backlash in British Columbia. It doesn't matter whether people understand the HST - they do understand when they're being told to bend over and take it.

It's a far fetched concept but a government should be honest, forthright and transparent. In my opinion, this government exhibits none of these qualities. I also doubt the average consumer will reap any benefits from this entire process. If a company saves $ 2.00 because of a simplified tax structure they'll simply raise the price of that product by $2.00.

The same logic goes for gasoline taxes. If governments shaved 10 cents per liter off of the tax - do you thing the oil giants would drop gasoline prices by 10 cents? I don't think so. They'll raise the price of gas and pocket whatever the government didn't grab.

The rest of us need to conduct our business with integrity, honesty and credibility - three qualities that are in incredibly short supply here in BC.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:28 pm

everyone in ontario loves the free shit the govt provides- OHIP comes to mind. But no one wants to pay any more taxes to ensure that we continue to have the free shit. I have no problem with the HST.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:37 pm

True...we do need tax revenue in order to continue providing government services. Having grown up in Ontario and having moved to BC two years ago, I still remember McGuinty's health tax. If I remember right wasn't that $700-$900 per person per year? There was lots of protest when that tax was implemented then it just fades into a distant memory. Are people in Ontario still paying that tax? How much do governments actually need and how much is actually wasted?

The cost of living here in BC is phenomenally higher than in Ontario which might partially explain the outrage over the HST.

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 pm

CBR600F4i wrote:
The same logic goes for gasoline taxes. If governments shaved 10 cents per liter off of the tax - do you thing the oil giants would drop gasoline prices by 10 cents? I don't think so. They'll raise the price of gas and pocket whatever the government didn't grab.

Ya it's not going to happen (gas prices dropping). Just look at how we are being affected in regards to prices for alcohol/liquor. The HST actually drops the tax from 5% GST + 10% PST to a combination worth 12% HST, but the price of the alcohol now rises (3% difference?) to balance it out. How is that fair? Everyone wants their piece of the pie and will come up with whatever means necessary to do so. :banghead:

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:46 pm

CBR600F4i wrote:The same logic goes for gasoline taxes. If governments shaved 10 cents per liter off of the tax - do you thing the oil giants would drop gasoline prices by 10 cents? I don't think so. They'll raise the price of gas and pocket whatever the government didn't grab.

True - I've noticed in Alberta especially, with no provincial sales taxes prices of things tend to be just a touch higher than their pre-tax price in other provinces... once taxes are paid - most things end up being roughly the same price.

Although here's a price comparison for ya: A litre of regular gas is $1.12 in Whitehorse, Yukon. According to GasBuddy.com the average Vancouver price of a litre of regular is $1.16. And I get isolated post allowance up north ;)

I was told by our finance people that our isolated post allowance here is based relative to the cost of things in Vancouver, and while the costs in Whitehorse have increased a little, the cost of living in Vancouver has increased a lot, and thus in the comparison, the IP allowance for here has slowly shrunk over time.

Photomax
Rookie Member

Postby Photomax » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 pm

CBR600F4i wrote:I haven't bought Canadian gas in six months and likely never will again - as of today Canadian groceries are being added to the list of things I'll never buy again.

Maybe we could contract police services out to US agencies for the pitiful wages they make and then no health coverage when they retire. Then we could get rid of the HST.

Yeah OK, I'm being facetious but we can't gladly take the benefits of our society and think everyone should pay for them. When you look at the big picture, the HST is a good tax. In Ontario where I am, or in BC.

Or I could just be full of shit which I usually am. Maybe you turn down the standard of living and all the benefits that come back to us through taxes. International trade in the long run is good, but if we turn our backs on Canadian retailers trying to eak out their own living, maybe we should just move to the USA and accept the lower standard of living that comes with it. I'm not saying the USA has a significantly lower standard of living than us, the United Nations says so.

NightHawk
Veteran Member

Postby NightHawk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Protector24 wrote:Nobody ever likes being taxed.

Nobody liked it when Bill Vander Zalm enacted the BC land transfer tax, but I bet that takes more out of people's pockets than the HST ever will. And yet, here he is years later, jumping into the limelight to drive a big campaign against a political party that was once his opposition. Hmm..

It makes me upset to see all these people lining up to sign petitions against the HST when they have no idea what they're opposing. It just became the popular thing to do. I know many people that signed petitions that couldn't tell me 3 things that were getting more expensive as a result.

Every economist worth his salt knows that the HST is a good thing for the economy (especially in BC). Too bad nobody listens to the experts.

Oh, and your basic groceries aren't subject to HST. But if you decide to buy an econo-sized bag of Doritos and a 2L bottle of Diabetes-in-a-glass then yes, you're going to get taxed on it and it's about damned time you did.

Maybe if parents stop buying chips and pop (subject to HST) then their kids will not require adult-sized clothing (subject to HST) and they can buy kids clothing (not subject to HST). Then we can all be healthier AND have more money.

End of rant. Beer time :drinking:

Second everything written here Protector. And yep, people want transparent government. People also want world peace, unlimited money, end of disease and death.....but guess what....it's not going to happen. Anyone who thinks the next leader or party of the province is going to be any better is just kidding thmeselves.

things you can count on until the end of time:

Your going to pay taxes,

You will die,

And polititicians are going to lie, cheat and steal.....all of them.
Looks like I need a new avatar...

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm

Don't blame Dalton or the Liberals, you can thank Toronto and the rest of the GTA for voting for them.

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Meathead and CO pretty much summed up my thoughts.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 am

What is this HST you speak of? And what the hell is Provincial Sales Tax? :wave:
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com