Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby noanykey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:56 pm

mack, I should say that pay is for 5+ year constables. The ones that have been there a short time or brand new make around the range you specified.

The whole reason I work 3 jobs plus volunteering is to make ends meet and gain experience for making myself more competitive as a future applicant.
If I was a police officer, I would have the one job. I can only imagine having a social life as a police officer is extremely important. Otherwise you're just dealing with crap all day and night. Is it really worth the extra $13 an hour? (I also don't and won't have any kids, so I don't think about that additional cost)

(Brinks in BC starts at $13)
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
Active SAR Member
Station 5 - Crescent Beach
noanykey
Veteran Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Noanykey, keep up the hard work.
I think working multiple jobs and volunteering definitely shows good character and ability to work hard.

I did the same a few years back with 3 jobs, volunteering, and school. It's was very demanding, but will make me really appreciate my dream career of policing even more.
All the best to everyone else on here that does the same (works more than 1 job to make ends meet) it aint easy.
KCCO.
mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby spooky » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 am

I get a bit more than $26/hour.

The main reasons I'd stay are a). to have a backup plan in case something catastrophic happens during my schooling/training (which likely won't happen) and b). to have something fun for retirement.

Mainly reason a).

I have a spouse and kids and I prefer to lead my life with backup plans where possible. I don't know that I could get another $26/hour job immediately in my area.

Thanks for the potential conflicts of interest scenarios. It's easier to understand now.
spooky

Postby kasiero » Tue May 16, 2017 1:46 am

Bitterman wrote:Not to offend anyone, but...
I wonder why there are any Brinks threads on BL.
I mean its they have nothing to do with law enforcement, tge courts etc...
Might as well have threads about carpentry or car sales

Yeah true and sheriffs BC are just glorified security guards as well have a little respect for those in that industry
kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 am

kasiero wrote:

Yeah true and sheriffs BC are just glorified security guards as well have a little respect for those in that industry

...and corrections for that matter.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...
Bitterman
King Poobah

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 am

Bitterman wrote:
kasiero wrote:

...and corrections for that matter.

And urinating in each other's Cream Of Wheat certainly makes you look like jackasses.

Stop.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC - Associate (Retired) member
SaveMyRCMP.Ca member
NPF supporter
Pete Broccolo

Postby Simplimatics » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 am

What I don't get is why people complain about Brinks, GardaWorld Armoured, etc threads on here.

If you read this sub-forum description, it says the following: "NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)".

Sure, it says leave work out of it. But it's also Non Law Enforcement and says post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want. So, why care about it? :?
Provincial Peace Officer
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/job-seekers/featured-careers/cvse
Simplimatics
Grand Poobah

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am

I can complain about G4S after working for them, and being embarassed about them screwing up the London Olympics contract - right in their back yard.

Besides working with Commissionaires a little, any other company I know very little about, other than what I have read about a certain Ontario-based one with a Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Star-Lord / Marvel-Agents-of-S.H.I.E.L.D.-Agent-Coulson wanna-be as its Lord Poobah and Exalted Master.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC - Associate (Retired) member
SaveMyRCMP.Ca member
NPF supporter
Pete Broccolo

Postby Simplimatics » Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 am

I never had any real issues with the Commissionaires. Overall they were pretty good to me.

Having said that, I noticed that in Kelowna they were falling victim to the whole "get as many contracts as possible, without having the manpower to fill them and then layoff most of the people they did hire as soon as Fall hit" craze that seemed to be affecting a lot of the other companies there at the time.

As for.. Harry Pecke... er I mean Harry Peckham The II, him and his ragtag group of goons were an interesting bunch before being bought out by GardaWorld. I wonder if they let him go after the aquisition.
Provincial Peace Officer
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/job-seekers/featured-careers/cvse
Simplimatics
Grand Poobah

Postby kasiero » Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm

OK there relax baby girl
kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm

The way I look at it: respect everyone, regardless of their job title.

Security / Corrections / Police / Bylaw / etc are all working on the same team with similar goals, to keep the public safe.
There's good people in each of these industries and a cooperative, friendly working relationship can lead to better goal achievement for everyone.
KCCO.
mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby Hattie » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm

mack_silent wrote:The way I look at it: respect everyone, regardless of their job title.

Security / Corrections / Police / Bylaw / etc are all working on the same team with similar goals, to keep the public safe.
There's good people in each of these industries and a cooperative, friendly working relationship can lead to better goal achievement for everyone.

I read that as GOATS... 8)

I do agree though and tend to take it a step further: Everyone gets my respect until they give me a reason not to. And those that lose my respect still get treated in a polite and professional manner barring they haven't become threatening/combative. So far it has been working.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.
Hattie

Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby noanykey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 am

Securitas is starting to take over.

Out east, loaders are still GW but Securitas now (I guess, I live in BC so I don't know the details) has an armored division.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
Active SAR Member
Station 5 - Crescent Beach
noanykey
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to The Lounge