Cnst. Garrett Styles YRP Killed at Traffic stop

A forum for those who wish to speak of fellow officers who have died on or off duty.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Cnst. Garrett Styles YRP Killed at Traffic stop

Postby Tango5 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 am

So tragic. RIP
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

lemmy
Rookie Member

Postby lemmy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 pm

RIP PC Styles.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Auxiliary_tor
Rookie Member

Postby Auxiliary_tor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

RIP brother...my thoughts and prayers are with the family & YRP.

very sad news

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:41 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
RIP.

A York Regional Police officer killed early Tuesday morning was run over and dragged to his death when the driver of a stolen van he had just stopped suddenly accelerated in a bid to escape, homicide investigators believe.

Constable Garrett Styles, 32, had parked his cruiser directly behind the suspect vehicle, walked up to it and discovered two teenagers inside – a male and a female, a police source said.

The officer ran the licence plate, discovered the owner was neither of the two juveniles and reached inside for the keys.

At that point, the van suddenly lurched forward, pinning Constable Styles underneath and dragging him with it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le2078302/
Last edited by Fides on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I am actually shocked by the comments on C.B.C. A large majority are condolences and support for the York Regional Police Service and the officer's family. There are the few usual anti-police, and/or jackass comments but not that bad for the C.B.C site.

MisterMatt
Rookie Member

Postby MisterMatt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:34 pm

horrible... RIP. God bless his family at home and work.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

golfdude
Veteran Member

Postby golfdude » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:56 pm

RIP Cst. Styles. Condolences to the Styles family and to his YRP brothers/sisters.

ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Rest in Peace, such a sad day for us all!

I seen where the online newspapers had to shut down comments due to retards posting stupid shit. Hope the little bastards get tried as adults and spend along time in jail for this.

Stay safe!

coarsecorrection
Rookie Member

Postby coarsecorrection » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Constable Styles, a seven-year veteran of the police force, leaves a two-and-a-half-year-old daughter and a nine-week-old son.

Extremely sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

God Bless.
D
RPAT: 2008-10
Pare1: 2008-11 (4:01)
RMSI: 2009-01
Poly1: 2009-03
BGI: 2009-05
Medical1: 2009-08
Pare2: 2009-10 (3:49)
CPR: 2009-10
CSIS review: 2009-12
Poly2: 2011-04
Medical2: 2011-08
Pare3: 2011-09-23 (3:37)
Pare4: 2012-03-16
Troop 18

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers are with the Styles family and all members of YRPS today.
:wave:

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Posting the entire Globe story for posterity...... RIP, Constable. All of our prayers are with you and your family...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le2078302/

A York Regional Police officer was run over and dragged to his death early Tuesday when the unlicensed teenaged driver of a stolen van he had just stopped accelerated in a bid to escape, homicide investigators believe.

Constable Garrett Styles, 32, had parked his cruiser directly behind the suspect vehicle, walked up to it and discovered four teenagers inside.

The officer ran the licence plate, discovered it was stolen and reached inside for the keys, a police source said. At that point, the 2005 Dodge Caravan lurched forward, dragging Constable Styles for 300 metres.

The driver then lost control and the van rolled over, pinning Constable Styles, York Regional Police Chief Eric Jolliffe said.

Constable Styles, who was able to radio for help, was rushed to nearby Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, where he died from his injuries.

“Every member of the York Regional Police is devastated by this loss,” Chief Jolliffe told reporters.

The 15-year-old unlicensed male driver was taken from the scene, in East Gwillimbury, north of Toronto, to hospital with serious injuries. Chief Jolliffe said the van’s other occupants are co-operating with police.

Constable Styles, a seven-year veteran of the police force, leaves a two-and-a-half-year-old daughter and a nine-week-old son.

The officer, who grew up in Newmarket, Ont., comes from a policing family. His wife, Melissa, is a civilian employee with York Regional Police and his father is a retired staff sergeant with the force.

Television images of the scene show a van stopped in a grassy area off the highway, with long track marks behind it. The vehicle has damage to its front end.

Homicide detectives, along with collision-reconstruction and canine teams, are investigating.

Special Investigations Unit spokesman Frank Phillips said his agency would not be taking a role in scrutinizing events.

Normally deaths and serious injuries incurred during police-civilian encounters are examined by Ontario’s civilian-staffed SIU. But because Constable Styles died, the matter rests with the York Regional homicide squad, Mr. Phillips said.

The incident occurred at Highway 48 and Herald Road in East Gwillimbury at 4:50 a.m. Constable Styles died shortly after 6 a.m.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty and Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak extended condolences to Constable Styles’s family.

Constable Styles joined York Regional Police as a cadet-in-training in December of 2003 and became a constable in May, 2004. He worked in uniform patrol in the force’s No. 1 District, which covers Newmarket, Aurora and East Gwillimbury.

He is the 10th York Region police officer to die in the line of duty.

The most recent casualty before him – also felled by a car – was Detective-Constable Robert Plunkett, who was slain in August, 2007.

Constable Plunkett’s killer has been convicted of manslaughter and is to be sentenced in Newmarket on Wednesday. The prosecution is seeking a penitentiary sentence of at least 10 years.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SOGDI
Rookie Member

Postby SOGDI » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:39 pm

RIP!

My thoughts are with you, your loved ones and members of YRP.
"Success demands a high level of logistical and organizational competence."
General George S. Patton, Jr

fireguy94
Rookie Member

Postby fireguy94 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I would like to pass on my condolences, to Constable Styles family, friends, and co workers. Very sad news. RIP.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 pm

An article just posted contains a recorded audio feed of the radio communication with Constable Styles during the incident. Must have been quite difficult to hear his words while trying to get on scene as quickly as possible...

I'm thinking that this is probably from someone with a scanner and not something released by YRP.
Last edited by SierraSeven on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm

RIP Cst. Styles. My thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and co-workers.
POLICE OFFICER