BC Corrections Hiring Process

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
noanykey

Re: BC Corrections

Postby noanykey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 pm

That’s why its called a “conditional”letter offer.
It’s on the recruitment process pdf on the job posting.

Peoples apps vary. I applied in july, i have my interview next week. I ran my COPAT last week.
Ikong was a 6 month wait. Which i think is incredibly fast.
My friend who just got hired was an 8 month process. My procces in CSC was 6 months. In that thread there’s one recruit who has been waiting a year+

It all varies and i really have no idea why some are quick and some are long. But that is all Law enforcement agencies. If BC Corrections is not your final stop. (It is mine:) ) Municipal police and RCMP CAN be incredibly long waits.

Hurry up and wait is burned into all recruits minds...
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 am

rspencer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 pm
I have recently received a Conditional Letter of employment (Sept 01) that I totally misinterpreted. I feel completely foolish as I had thought that after several months of rollercoaster testing, aptitudes, and reference questionnaires, that this was a final indicator that a starting date would be near. Everyone in my family has been waiting with me and I excitedly blurted out that I finally made it. After waiting a couple weeks, I wrote my recruiter hoping for clarification as I have now 2 months left of EI and I need to make plans for this career transition. The issue is that I have been told repeatedly that honour and integrity are paramount, yet if I take a position with any employer that very integrity means nothing as I either be honest with them about my career intention and would clearly be a poor hire choice or I stay silent and quit immediately once I receive a start date. Had I been made aware up front that this process would take 8 - 10 months, I would not have turned down other job offers. They tell me that the final stage and offer confirmation letter are certain upon successful completion of Voice Stress Analysis (this week Sept 24) and a medical (request filed/no date given yet). Off record that if I passed COPAT and the previous written Integrity interview, then these last 2 stages are more of a double confirmation and that they are short staffed and I just need to be patient. If my answers are consistent to the written test then I am set. The medical is routine and success in the COPAT is likely going to clear medical as well. So the question: Any idea how long the actual wait time or start is from the Conditional Letter to the Confirmation Letter/training start date? Thank you.
Unfortunately, there is no real answer to that question, and your recruiter cannot give you a certain answer either until he or she gets a green light from the centre that hires you. If your end goal is policing, just keep in mind that nothing is certain until you get the very last official offer and you should always ALWAYS have a back up plan. That's why I did not even tell my previous employer about me leaving until the very last minute.
BC Corrections Member

redemptionmaster
Rookie Member

Postby redemptionmaster » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 am

ikong0621 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 am
rspencer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 pm
I have recently received a Conditional Letter of employment (Sept 01) that I totally misinterpreted. I feel completely foolish as I had thought that after several months of rollercoaster testing, aptitudes, and reference questionnaires, that this was a final indicator that a starting date would be near. Everyone in my family has been waiting with me and I excitedly blurted out that I finally made it. After waiting a couple weeks, I wrote my recruiter hoping for clarification as I have now 2 months left of EI and I need to make plans for this career transition. The issue is that I have been told repeatedly that honour and integrity are paramount, yet if I take a position with any employer that very integrity means nothing as I either be honest with them about my career intention and would clearly be a poor hire choice or I stay silent and quit immediately once I receive a start date. Had I been made aware up front that this process would take 8 - 10 months, I would not have turned down other job offers. They tell me that the final stage and offer confirmation letter are certain upon successful completion of Voice Stress Analysis (this week Sept 24) and a medical (request filed/no date given yet). Off record that if I passed COPAT and the previous written Integrity interview, then these last 2 stages are more of a double confirmation and that they are short staffed and I just need to be patient. If my answers are consistent to the written test then I am set. The medical is routine and success in the COPAT is likely going to clear medical as well. So the question: Any idea how long the actual wait time or start is from the Conditional Letter to the Confirmation Letter/training start date? Thank you.
Unfortunately, there is no real answer to that question, and your recruiter cannot give you a certain answer either until he or she gets a green light from the centre that hires you. If your end goal is policing, just keep in mind that nothing is certain until you get the very last official offer and you should always ALWAYS have a back up plan. That's why I did not even tell my previous employer about me leaving until the very last minute.
I agree with this because May 01,2020 was the targeted date I was going to let my work know I was going to be leaving to head out for training with CSC, but a few days before CSC notified me due to COVID-19 training was cancelled until further notice. So now I’m still with my work and waiting for CSC to offer a date. That being said, my bride to be got her conditional letter as well, but we haven’t celebrated anything because she still has a few steps to go and until it’s official, then we will say it is official.

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:16 am

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 am

Did you put the parlor visits in your SSQ?
SAR Member

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:08 pm

After the CVSA, someone at the HQ will contact you if there is anything needs to be followed up during the final final stage. And during my medical stage, I told the doctor I had mononucleosis back in February and it almost delayed my training. And so, I can tell you that they are definitely not for formality. However, you can relax as well, because you have done your part already, just need to be patient and wait.

Looks there will be a few here for the class in October, hopefully we will meet soon, if you are coming to the centre that I work at.
BC Corrections Member

Guest123
Rookie Member

Postby Guest123 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:56 pm

OJ Cartonne wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:16 am
So just finished my CVSA and have only a medical left. My CVSA seemed positive by the fellow doing it, but he also said he was an independant contractor not with Corrections, so does not reccomend or reject. Was not prepared for the intensive sexual history and admitted to a couple massage parlour visits a few years back. He said it wasn't an issue, but who knows? Other than that was a 4 year old traffic violation for early right turn. The traffic thing is not an issue, but the stupid massage parlour thing has me freaking out that this whole year may be fuct now. Will find out soon or never, I guess. If I get a medical appointment then I will know the CVSA passed. A friend told me that the last 2 steps, CVSA and Medical, are a formality and I should just chill, be patient, and get ready for the training, but he isn't with Corrections so may be wrong.

My EI runs out in mid Novemeber, so I really need options soon. Had I any idea how much work this was going to be or how long, I would have taken other offers.

The Long Road:

Jan 27, laid -of from former job in HVAC sales
Feb 17, took a WorkBC career assessment to extend EI by 10 weeks. results came heavy as Law Enforcement or Library
Feb 20, researched recruiting options and upgraded Eng Comm
Mar 16, Applied to BC Corrections
Mar 27, Document request
Mar 31, Document Inventory
April 15, OFA 1
May 01, Document Confirm
May 11, NTN Exam request
May 22, NTN Exam
Jun 09, SSQ-Securit Screening Questionnaire
Jun 16, COPAT Medical
June 24, COPAT
Aug 10, BEI Invite
Aug 13, BEI
Aug 18, Reference Screening
Aug 20, RCMP Background & Fingerprinti/Driver Abstract
Aug 31 ESS Consent
Sept 01, Conditional Letter of Offering
Sept 17, Medical request
Set 24, CVSA
TBD, Medical
TBD, Letter of Confirm
TBD, Start date
Hi there,

You should be getting your Welcome Letter and Start date soon. I am on a similar timeline as you but just a couple of weeks ahead. I received my Conditional offer on Aug 6 which incidentally was the day I had my CVSA. I had my medical done on Sept 2. Received my welcome letter and start date on Sep 18. I start the first week of Oct.

AMC48
Rookie Member

Postby AMC48 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Hey,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for quite sometime. Just did my CVSA yesterday and although the interviewer said things went pretty smoothly (as I assume thats what they always say) as he was able to clarify any discrepancies or questions that were in doubt, I just realized I may have screwed myself over. On the ride home, I was thinking about the questions that I was asked and what I answered and had realized I forgot to disclose two things that I disclosed on my written SSQ. One of the scenarios involved not paying for a transit fare and one was cheating on a math test in grade 10.

I honestly do not know how I forgot about them but it was likely after explaining my other two minor theft incidents that I somehow forgot about the fair incident.

As well, there were some additions that I self declared (didnt require probing)

Now I’m scared they may think I was being deceptive/omitting things but really, I just forgot as I did have a decent amount of things on my SSQ.

I’m just wondering if they will take both the written SSQ and CVSA into account and the fact that I declared it on my written SSQ and maybe understand that I had forgotten.

In the end, it was my screw up so if i don’t
Make it (which seems very likely now) at least i know for next time and hopefully will be more relaxed for my next CVSA so I don’t forget anything. Im just honestly upset at how I could of forgotten those two incidents I wrote down..

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Tbh. You probably won’t find the answers to your question here. Don’t overthink, go outside, take walks. Get your mind off of things.
If it doesn’t happen you know for next time. But don’t jump to conclusions immediately following your CVSA, that’ll just kill your mental health and stress you out to no end.
Pobodys Nerfect. Adrenaline comes in and people miss stuff. It happens a lot. Don’t worry, relax and you got this!
SAR Member

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 am

AMC48 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:44 pm
Hey,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for quite sometime. Just did my CVSA yesterday and although the interviewer said things went pretty smoothly (as I assume thats what they always say) as he was able to clarify any discrepancies or questions that were in doubt, I just realized I may have screwed myself over. On the ride home, I was thinking about the questions that I was asked and what I answered and had realized I forgot to disclose two things that I disclosed on my written SSQ. One of the scenarios involved not paying for a transit fare and one was cheating on a math test in grade 10.

I honestly do not know how I forgot about them but it was likely after explaining my other two minor theft incidents that I somehow forgot about the fair incident.

As well, there were some additions that I self declared (didnt require probing)

Now I’m scared they may think I was being deceptive/omitting things but really, I just forgot as I did have a decent amount of things on my SSQ.

I’m just wondering if they will take both the written SSQ and CVSA into account and the fact that I declared it on my written SSQ and maybe understand that I had forgotten.

In the end, it was my screw up so if i don’t
Make it (which seems very likely now) at least i know for next time and hopefully will be more relaxed for my next CVSA so I don’t forget anything. Im just honestly upset at how I could of forgotten those two incidents I wrote down..
DO NOT over-stress and overthink. It is good that you are scared now, because that means at least you care and were trying to be honest. However, what is done is done, don't overthink. If you are stressed about that for that much already, you will have a meltdown when doing the actual job. HQ will contact you if your result needs to be followed up, and so don't worry about it for now.
BC Corrections Member

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

AMC48
Rookie Member

Postby AMC48 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:42 pm

Hey OJ Cartonne,

I got a phone call earlier this week from BC Corrections where they went over my SSQ and CVSA results to get additional information and clarification over what I declared. If you haven’t heard anything in the past two weeks, that should mean everything is good. He said he was going to forward my stuff this week which should mean everyone else’s stuff should be going up the process.

Canucks2142
Rookie Member

Postby Canucks2142 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 am

I was
AMC48 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:42 pm
Hey OJ Cartonne,

I got a phone call earlier this week from BC Corrections where they went over my SSQ and CVSA results to get additional information and clarification over what I declared. If you haven’t heard anything in the past two weeks, that should mean everything is good. He said he was going to forward my stuff this week which should mean everyone else’s stuff should be going up the process.
I also got a phone call yesterday from them just clarifying a couple of things. They also said they would be sending my stuff off to BC corrections. Which as you said probably means the process is moving along and medicals coming up.

AMC48
Rookie Member

Postby AMC48 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:44 pm

I just got an invitation to complete my medical appointment for this month. I assume that hopefully means my SSQ and CVSA results are all good. Hoping to start training by December!