BC Corrections Hiring Process

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ikong0621
Rookie Member

Re: BC Corrections

Postby ikong0621 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Nuke2020 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 pm
ikong0621 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:05 pm
Glad to see the application process is speeding up again. Can't wait for the new class to come over, so that I can potentially be on the 4 on 4. LOL
Sounds like a lot of OT for you?
Our classs is the first ones to get asked for OT because we do not have any in the bank yet.
BC Corrections Member

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:21 pm

noanykey wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:28 pm
Just got a batch A email. Hoping COPAT dates are around the corner.
I heard the next class is coming in in October or November, but nothing confirmed yet
BC Corrections Member

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:52 pm

ikong0621 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:21 pm
noanykey wrote:
I heard the next class is coming in in October or November, but nothing confirmed yet
I think you were in the same class with my buddy, he was at FRCC training class which started on June 22nd, same starting dates as yours, he is the big tall Asian officer who just relocated from Ottawa. He loves the job and made nothing but good comment about FRCC.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm

noanykey wrote:
Hi, just saw your signature, "Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue", I assume you are also a Canada Coast Guard Auxiliary member just like most of the other Marine S&R organizations' member. :D
I was a former Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary member with PARA (Pickering Auxiliary Rescue Association). It was a fun and rewarding volunteer position.
How do you like your on-board marine patrol duty?
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:55 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm
noanykey wrote:
Hi, just saw your signature, "Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue", I assume you are also a Canada Coast Guard Auxiliary member just like most of the other Marine S&R organizations' member. :D
I was a former Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary member with PARA (Pickering Auxiliary Rescue Association). It was a fun and rewarding volunteer position.
I love it! We were a part of the CCGA but then went our own path with RCMSAR, but if you really wanna get technical, I guess we'd be a mix of both. Our gear looks really similar to CCG.
I actually wanted to do some volunteering to look good for law enforcement, here we are almost 3 years later and I'm being looked at to help instruct. Hence the option to go to BCCO as they can be flexible with scheduling.

Where else can you drive a quarter of a million dollar boat, free gas, see some ocean life and help those in need?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:21 am

ygu31 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:52 pm
ikong0621 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:21 pm
noanykey wrote:
I think you were in the same class with my buddy, he was at FRCC training class which started on June 22nd, same starting dates as yours, he is the big tall Asian officer who just relocated from Ottawa. He loves the job and made nothing but good comment about FRCC.
All the classes have to start on the same date I believe, but I am not from FRCC lol
BC Corrections Member

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 am

Sierra1993 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 pm
fatboy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm
Hey guys, does everybody start out at the same wage, or can you start at a different step based on experience??
Same wage unless you are coming from the BC public service already and have a higher wage, which it (I believe) would then be honored. That said, if not, in Corrections you start on the growth series wage and then after around 18 months (probably a bit longer as it is determined on hours when you factor in sick time, leave etc) you eventually get on the full grid 18 (+2 with TMA right now) which caps at +3 (Grid 21 effectively) with TMA next year - and then hopefully (fingers crossed) 40 hour work week goes through which, when capped, with the grid increase, would put Corrections at 80,000 a year capped (70,000 with no 40 hour)

The downside though is with the growth series factored in and everything else you are looking at 7-8 years of service before you actually even reach that cap with Corrections (where as with Sheriffs it's 5 years as there is no 18 month wait) Not sure why Corrections still does that 18 month thing, since your first paychecks are going to be in the 1200-1400 range for 18 months. At least when you get on the full grid it's do-able to live off of- but on the bright side, in Corrections, there is usually OT to make up for it while you are on that 18 month period.
Well damn, that's a deal breaker for me. 10 years in at this point, as much as i would love to live in the same city as my son, I really can't wait 8 more years.

Thanks!

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 pm

fatboy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 am
Sierra1993 wrote:
fatboy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm
Hey guys, does everybody start out at the same wage, or can you start at a different step based on experience??
Same wage unless you are coming from the BC public service already and have a higher wage, which it (I believe) would then be honored. That said, if not, in Corrections you start on the growth series wage and then after around 18 months (probably a bit longer as it is determined on hours when you factor in sick time, leave etc) you eventually get on the full grid 18 (+2 with TMA right now) which caps at +3 (Grid 21 effectively) with TMA next year - and then hopefully (fingers crossed) 40 hour work week goes through which, when capped, with the grid increase, would put Corrections at 80,000 a year capped (70,000 with no 40 hour)

The downside though is with the growth series factored in and everything else you are looking at 7-8 years of service before you actually even reach that cap with Corrections (where as with Sheriffs it's 5 years as there is no 18 month wait) Not sure why Corrections still does that 18 month thing, since your first paychecks are going to be in the 1200-1400 range for 18 months. At least when you get on the full grid it's do-able to live off of- but on the bright side, in Corrections, there is usually OT to make up for it while you are on that 18 month period.
Well damn, that's a deal breaker for me. 10 years in at this point, as much as i would love to live in the same city as my son, I really can't wait 8 more years.

Thanks!
The 40 hours work week is coming for sure, so probably looking at a 14% increase, but COVID has slowed everything down and we just don't know when it is going to be official for now.
BC Corrections Member

Sierra1993
Rookie Member

Postby Sierra1993 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 pm

ikong0621 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 pm
fatboy wrote:
Sierra1993 wrote:

Thanks!
The 40 hours work week is coming for sure, so probably looking at a 14% increase, but COVID has slowed everything down and we just don't know when it is going to be official for now.
I'm just waiting to see if they remove the TMA but give the 40 hour :P Since that grid increase is not a real grid increase and done through a TMA. Imagine working 40 hours but minus 3 grids down - effectively working more hours for what would then be a very minor pay increase.

But hey, if a miracle happens and they keep the TMA with the 40 hour work week and it all goes through I would be impressed. Finally start to patch the gigantic hole in the boat where they instead opt to trying to hire more people to bucket the water out.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:08 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:55 pm
ygu31 wrote:
noanykey wrote:
I love it! We were a part of the CCGA but then went our own path with RCMSAR, but if you really wanna get technical, I guess we'd be a mix of both. Our gear looks really similar to CCG.
I actually wanted to do some volunteering to look good for law enforcement, here we are almost 3 years later and I'm being looked at to help instruct. Hence the option to go to BCCO as they can be flexible with scheduling.

Where else can you drive a quarter of a million dollar boat, free gas, see some ocean life and help those in need?
Yes, 100% agree on that. It is a fun position. Enjoy boating with a 1600 horsepower boat (twin engine, 800 each), the local police Durham Regional Police Marine Unit only has a 550 horsepower engine.
And true, it is a very rewarding volunteer position, lots of my fellow volunteer colleagues found jobs in Paramedics, Firefighters and Law Enforcement. I put CCGA S&R thing on my resume and it helped me getting hired.
The training they have is also beneficial: On board firefight training, Rescue drills, Marine First Aid training.
Just relocated to BC recently and thinking of doing some CCGA volunteer locally, so I might volunteer in the same line as you do :-)

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:15 pm

Sierra1993 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 pm
ikong0621 wrote:
fatboy wrote:

Thanks!
I'm just waiting to see if they remove the TMA but give the 40 hour :P Since that grid increase is not a real grid increase and done through a TMA. Imagine working 40 hours but minus 3 grids down - effectively working more hours for what would then be a very minor pay increase.

But hey, if a miracle happens and they keep the TMA with the 40 hour work week and it all goes through I would be impressed. Finally start to patch the gigantic hole in the boat where they instead opt to trying to hire more people to bucket the water out.
I am hoping the union can fight for 40 hours per week WITH PAID MEAL BREAK. When I told my former correction colleagues (other provinces) about the unpaid meal break thing, they did not believe and thought I was joking about that.

A few different correctional jurisdictions meal break policy:
Ontario Correction: paid meal break, PLUS if your are occupied during your meal break (report, cover others, etc), you will get extra OT for your meal break (0.45 hr * 1.5 for each missed meal break)
MB correction and Feds: Paid meal break; no matter you take your meal or not, same pay; no extra, no deduction.
BC correction: unpaid meal break, which I hope BCGEU can fight and get for paid meal break for their member, but it could be difficult.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

Sierra1993
Rookie Member

Postby Sierra1993 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:06 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:15 pm
Sierra1993 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 pm
ikong0621 wrote:

I am hoping the union can fight for 40 hours per week WITH PAID MEAL BREAK. When I told my former correction colleagues (other provinces) about the unpaid meal break thing, they did not believe and thought I was joking about that.

A few different correctional jurisdictions meal break policy:
Ontario Correction: paid meal break, PLUS if your are occupied during your meal break (report, cover others, etc), you will get extra OT for your meal break (0.45 hr * 1.5 for each missed meal break)
MB correction and Feds: Paid meal break; no matter you take your meal or not, same pay; no extra, no deduction.
BC correction: unpaid meal break, which I hope BCGEU can fight and get for paid meal break for their member, but it could be difficult.
I think it would be easier if they paid the meal break as well - but from what I have heard down the line, especially during my time at Corrections, is that they are absolutely not going to ever do that. Which means they will have to extend hours of work or switch up the shift patterns. For Sheriffs I heard of a bunch of different scenarios. Personally I wouldn't mind if we had a 4/3 pattern option or something similar to that - biggest thing I miss coming over from Corrections was losing that 4/4.

It will be interesting to see what they will do IF it happens. With like a 97% voting rate for "yes" from Sheriffs it would be absolutely crushing I think to not get at least something, even if the government could meet halfway on it.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:33 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:08 pm
noanykey wrote:
ygu31 wrote:

Yes, 100% agree on that. It is a fun position. Enjoy boating with a 1600 horsepower boat (twin engine, 800 each), the local police Durham Regional Police Marine Unit only has a 550 horsepower engine.
And true, it is a very rewarding volunteer position, lots of my fellow volunteer colleagues found jobs in Paramedics, Firefighters and Law Enforcement. I put CCGA S&R thing on my resume and it helped me getting hired.
The training they have is also beneficial: On board firefight training, Rescue drills, Marine First Aid training.
Just relocated to BC recently and thinking of doing some CCGA volunteer locally, so I might volunteer in the same line as you do :-)
I know my unit is starting to look for new recruits. You gotta live 15 minutes from a base as the bare minimum so you can make it to the calls. But there's SAR bases everywhere. RCMSAR on google :)
SAR Member

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:13 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:33 pm
ygu31 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:08 pm
noanykey wrote:

I know my unit is starting to look for new recruits. You gotta live 15 minutes from a base as the bare minimum so you can make it to the calls. But there's SAR bases everywhere. RCMSAR on google :)
Thank you for your info. I never know there is the “15 minutes rule from the base” before, but it is good to know. And it totally make sense. As you said, “RCMSAR on google”, surprisingly, there is one RCMSAR base just 5 minutes walk from where I live (walking there is even quicker than driving. Will contact them shortly.
Thanks again for your info. :-)

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:33 pm

We ran our COPAT's this week. I did pretty good. From what I heard from the previous slot, many failed.
The COPAT is no joke. People reading this in the process about to do their COPAT's take it seriously and specifically train for it. Run/Sprint/Burpees/Situps.. Lots and lots and lots. You don't have to be a fitness genius to run it. I was the most out of shape candidate there but because I specifically trained for it. I did really well. Many people see the course and think it's easy, then get to the push/pull and realize that it's not easy... then STILL have to do the vaulting..
It's a pass/fail exam. It's the worst 2:50 of your life but it's also an important 2:50.

I had a blast though and the recruiters were extremely helpful about showing the course and answering every single question anyone had, plus they gave us a long time to warm up and experiment with the course. They were great and I am excited to go to the next steps.
SAR Member