Feeling completely lost **WARNING LONG POST**

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Slowbalt
Rookie Member

Feeling completely lost **WARNING LONG POST**

Postby Slowbalt » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Not completely sure where to begin, so please forgive me is this is a bit of a mess.

I guess I should go at it somewhat chronologically. Back in high school I was doing good until I decided to start smoking, hanging out with less than stellar individuals and smoking pot. My grades plummeted as I just didn't care about them the slightest. Ended up getting a job as a grocery packer to pay for my car and pot. Mercifully Maryjane started to cause panic attacks so I quit. Tried going back to school, but motivation was always lacking, and I would drop out a few months later. Ended up becoming a volunteer firefighter, and that lead me to my first "real job", as a 911 dispatcher. I quite enjoyed the job and was on it for three years. Ended up moving so my girlfriend could go to college to become a nurse. My father in law then got me a job as an entry level IT technician, and I have been working my way up in that field for the last eight years. While the pay is good and the hours very reasonable, I feel I have peaked off and no longer enjoy it.

Fast forward to last week. I saw an ad for the provincial police looking for recruits without a law enforcement background or education. I was ecstatic. I finally had a chance! I had wanted to become a police officer for over a decade, but never pulled the trigger as my grades were so bad, I would never even be considered to enroll in the course. I called a LEO acquaintance of mine to get his thoughts and was told this was indeed real and that I should give it a shot. I was crushed to find out that while no law enforcement degree or experience was required, they however expect you to have at least a two years post-secondary diploma. This is not my case. Not even close. Not by a long shot.

In my province (Quebec), the "normal" path is to graduate from high school (with very good grades), enroll in a restricted three-years college course, then enroll in 15 weeks "police academy", and then get hired by a police force. In my current situation, I'd need over a year of high school level classes to have the slightest chance of getting accepted into the program, which is once again three years long, before I can apply for the academy. Obviously, would have to do all this while keeping my full-time employment as to pay for the house, son, etc. Even then, I would be posted to wherever the force needs me, which is over a ninety percent chance not in my area.

There is another way, which is the federal police (RCMP). They don't care much for the education and instead rely on a battery of tests to see what you are made of, and provide their own "academy" for six months at their facility (which is over 3000kms (2000 miles) from my residence). And upon graduation, you will be posted "according to the needs of the force", which means far-far away.

Now comes the best part, I am 32. So, going back to school for over five years while maintaining full employment would be hard to say the least. Going the RCMP route seems way easier, however means exiling myself far from my family and friends (and more as you will soon find out). While this isn't all that appealing, I had a talk with my wife (with whom I have a fourteen months old son) and she flat out said she'd not follow me (even if I went the provincial police route, as they will, just like the federal force, post me wherever they want). This last point just kills me. I cannot see myself disappearing from my son's life. I also don't think I can go on this way.

So, I have a choice; Stay where I am, miserable but stable, and be a father to my son, or go for broke, chase my dream and finally become a police officer, but do so at the cost of my relationship and son. To say I am heartbroken is the mother of all understatements. I just don't know what to do and feel completely trapped either way.

Any advice? What would you do in my situation? Any help is very much appreciated.

runningguy
Rookie Member

Re: Feeling completely lost **WARNING LONG POST**

Postby runningguy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Have you considered municipal police around your area?

Slowbalt
Rookie Member

Postby Slowbalt » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

None at all... Closest would be several hundred kilometers away, with all the requirements of the provincial police...

LivePositive
Rookie Member

Postby LivePositive » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Maybe take a few courses, apply for an auxiliary police unit, volunteer. Those will help with expanding your skills and network.

I wish you the best of luck.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Seems like you're frustrated but you should choose how you describe RCMP carefully. It's not uncommon for recruiters to browse this forum. I have friends who are about to start Depot, it wasn't an easy journey. One just got over a 2 year deferral. That's commitment..
Personally, family comes first. That is the highest priority above all else..

For me, I don't want to be a police officer, I have many friends who are and it doesn't seem like it would be a fit for me. My hat goes off to all Police both RCMP and Municipal.. However, my passion is to serve my community and help others. I have found it in SAR but that's also volunteering. So I looked at corrections for my path and I'm in a process and I'm grateful I've gotten this far.

So why not go for CSC, CX are in need and you may land something in Quebec. It is a position that may require you to move to a different province, however they will let you know on your conditional letter of offer. Maybe a Sheriff posting may suite your need as well. There's many options available, not just police. You could try and build up that resume then apply to be a police officer and mayhaps the wifey may finally understand why you want to be a police officer, then will have a change of heart.

You're 32. You've got time. I know a few applicants who went to RCMP/CSC/Municipal/Sheriff's or Provincial Corrections who are above their 40's.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Slowbalt
Rookie Member

Postby Slowbalt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:50 am

LivePositive wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:51 pm
Maybe take a few courses, apply for an auxiliary police unit, volunteer. Those will help with expanding your skills and network.

I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks. Unfortunately, there are no auxiliaries here, nor volunteers...

Slowbalt
Rookie Member

Postby Slowbalt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 am

noanykey wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 pm
Seems like you're frustrated but you should choose how you describe RCMP carefully. It's not uncommon for recruiters to browse this forum. I have friends who are about to start Depot, it wasn't an easy journey. One just got over a 2 year deferral. That's commitment..

For me, I don't want to be a police officer, I have many friends who are and it doesn't seem like it would be a fit for me. My hat goes off to all Police both RCMP and Municipal.. However, my passion is to serve my community and help others. I have found it in SAR but that's also volunteering. So I looked at corrections for my path and I'm in a process and I'm grateful I've gotten this far.

So why not go for CSC, CX are in need and you may land something in Quebec. It is a position that may require you to move to a different province, however they will let you know on your conditional letter of offer. Maybe a Sheriff posting may suite your need as well. There's many options available, not just police. You could try and build up that resume then apply to be a police officer and mayhaps the wifey may finally understand why you want to be a police officer, then will have a change of heart.

You're 32. You've got time. I know a few applicants who went to RCMP/CSC/Municipal/Sheriff's or Provincial Corrections who are above their 40's.
Not sure how I am bashing the RCMP? I genuinely believe that their method of recruitment is far superior. I am unsure how much of a report card actually translates to superior employability. Actually testing individuals on the very things you expect out of them just seems like the right way to me. Maybe I'm mistaken.

As far as corrections, while that is a very valid choice, it is just not for me.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:25 am

Slowbalt wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 am
noanykey wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Not sure how I am bashing the RCMP? I genuinely believe that their method of recruitment is far superior. I am unsure how much of a report card actually translates to superior employability. Actually testing individuals on the very things you expect out of them just seems like the right way to me. Maybe I'm mistaken.

As far as corrections, while that is a very valid choice, it is just not for me.
It was probably because this is text and there's no emotion but I was a little bit taken back by your description of the RCMP.
So I apologize for the miscommunication and I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Slowbalt wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm
Not completely sure where to begin, so please forgive me is this is a bit of a mess.

I guess I should go at it somewhat chronologically. Back in high school I was doing good until I decided to start smoking, hanging out with less than stellar individuals and smoking pot. My grades plummeted as I just didn't care about them the slightest. Ended up getting a job as a grocery packer to pay for my car and pot. Mercifully Maryjane started to cause panic attacks so I quit. Tried going back to school, but motivation was always lacking, and I would drop out a few months later. Ended up becoming a volunteer firefighter, and that lead me to my first "real job", as a 911 dispatcher. I quite enjoyed the job and was on it for three years. Ended up moving so my girlfriend could go to college to become a nurse. My father in law then got me a job as an entry level IT technician, and I have been working my way up in that field for the last eight years. While the pay is good and the hours very reasonable, I feel I have peaked off and no longer enjoy it.

Fast forward to last week. I saw an ad for the provincial police looking for recruits without a law enforcement background or education. I was ecstatic. I finally had a chance! I had wanted to become a police officer for over a decade, but never pulled the trigger as my grades were so bad, I would never even be considered to enroll in the course. I called a LEO acquaintance of mine to get his thoughts and was told this was indeed real and that I should give it a shot. I was crushed to find out that while no law enforcement degree or experience was required, they however expect you to have at least a two years post-secondary diploma. This is not my case. Not even close. Not by a long shot.

In my province (Quebec), the "normal" path is to graduate from high school (with very good grades), enroll in a restricted three-years college course, then enroll in 15 weeks "police academy", and then get hired by a police force. In my current situation, I'd need over a year of high school level classes to have the slightest chance of getting accepted into the program, which is once again three years long, before I can apply for the academy. Obviously, would have to do all this while keeping my full-time employment as to pay for the house, son, etc. Even then, I would be posted to wherever the force needs me, which is over a ninety percent chance not in my area.

There is another way, which is the federal police (RCMP). They don't care much for the education and instead rely on a battery of tests to see what you are made of, and provide their own "academy" for six months at their facility (which is over 3000kms (2000 miles) from my residence). And upon graduation, you will be posted "according to the needs of the force", which means far-far away.

Now comes the best part, I am 32. So, going back to school for over five years while maintaining full employment would be hard to say the least. Going the RCMP route seems way easier, however means exiling myself far from my family and friends (and more as you will soon find out). While this isn't all that appealing, I had a talk with my wife (with whom I have a fourteen months old son) and she flat out said she'd not follow me (even if I went the provincial police route, as they will, just like the federal force, post me wherever they want). This last point just kills me. I cannot see myself disappearing from my son's life. I also don't think I can go on this way.

So, I have a choice; Stay where I am, miserable but stable, and be a father to my son, or go for broke, chase my dream and finally become a police officer, but do so at the cost of my relationship and son. To say I am heartbroken is the mother of all understatements. I just don't know what to do and feel completely trapped either way.

Any advice? What would you do in my situation? Any help is very much appreciated.
Be a spouse AND a father; EVERYBODY hates their occupation at one time or another.

Truth is harsh, but Law Enforcement is NOT in your future.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Postby A.blackburn » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Dans ta situation en effet retourner prendre des cours pour finalement faire la techniques policières est difficilement envisageable. Sans être difficile cela prends beaucoup de temps et même si certains l’ont fait en travaillant à temps plein, ce n’est pas le meilleur train de vie surtout avec un jeune enfant.

Ta meilleure option reste la GRC. Du moins, tu n’as rien à perdre à appliquer et dans l’optique où tu serais engagé ce sera à ce moment là de faire ton choix.

Par contre, Pete a pas tord lorsqu’il dit qu’un emploi reste un emploi. Si tu es bien avec ta conjointe et ton enfant, je suis certain qu’ils peuvent t’apporter beaucoup plus de joie que le métier.

Je n’échangerais mon métier pour rien au monde, par contre, ma vision a changé en le pratiquant. At the end of the day, it’s just a job. Desfois la plus belle, desfois la pire, mais ça reste une job!

I assumed you’re french since you’re from Quebec. Let me know if not, I can translate it eheh.

Bonne chance
Police Officer

Slowbalt
Rookie Member

Postby Slowbalt » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:22 pm

A.blackburn wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 pm
Dans ta situation en effet retourner prendre des cours pour finalement faire la techniques policières est difficilement envisageable. Sans être difficile cela prends beaucoup de temps et même si certains l’ont fait en travaillant à temps plein, ce n’est pas le meilleur train de vie surtout avec un jeune enfant.

Ta meilleure option reste la GRC. Du moins, tu n’as rien à perdre à appliquer et dans l’optique où tu serais engagé ce sera à ce moment là de faire ton choix.

Par contre, Pete a pas tord lorsqu’il dit qu’un emploi reste un emploi. Si tu es bien avec ta conjointe et ton enfant, je suis certain qu’ils peuvent t’apporter beaucoup plus de joie que le métier.

Je n’échangerais mon métier pour rien au monde, par contre, ma vision a changé en le pratiquant. At the end of the day, it’s just a job. Desfois la plus belle, desfois la pire, mais ça reste une job!

I assumed you’re french since you’re from Quebec. Let me know if not, I can translate it eheh.

Bonne chance
Merci, j'apprécie! J'ai commencé le processus, j'ai hâte de voir comment ça va se passer.

Slowbalt
Rookie Member

Postby Slowbalt » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Situation update:

I have been talking with my wife several times, and she does understand my situation. She is considering all options, including to move with me. I am incredibly relieved, while this is still a very big maybe, it is no longer a hard no.

Went in for audition test and passed, vision however is a fail. I have two examinations lined up with ophthalmologists to see if I am a candidate for LASIK or PRK.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:37 pm

Slowbalt wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm
Situation update:

I have been talking with my wife several times, and she does understand my situation. She is considering all options, including to move with me. I am incredibly relieved, while this is still a very big maybe, it is no longer a hard no.

Went in for audition test and passed, vision however is a fail. I have two examinations lined up with ophthalmologists to see if I am a candidate for LASIK or PRK.
Well, at least you two are talking, which it sounds like you REALLY NEEDED to do.

However, forget the RCMP, because you two will end up getting divorced if you end up in Elbow SK, or Vermillion AB, or Bella Coola BC, or ANYWHERE but where SHE wants to be.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

10thgear
Rookie Member

Postby 10thgear » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:17 am

Something to consider when working in any field of an emergency service is having a REALLY strong support network. We will be exposed to a lot of shit and stresses that most people will not.
I've had an incredibly long journey working on trying to get in either this career or in Fire (I know, I know, but I truly love both for different reasons). If I did not have the constant support of my husband and close friends/family, I could see how it would affect my life overall.
One of my best buds father is in RCMP and he had zero relationship with him until he was in his late 20s because he put his career over his family. Get your family on board (and make sure she truly is excited for you and 100 percent!) because if they don't, its doomed imo.

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 pm

10thgear wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:17 am
Something to consider when working in any field of an emergency service is having a REALLY strong support network. We will be exposed to a lot of shit and stresses that most people will not.
I've had an incredibly long journey working on trying to get in either this career or in Fire (I know, I know, but I truly love both for different reasons). If I did not have the constant support of my husband and close friends/family, I could see how it would affect my life overall.
One of my best buds father is in RCMP and he had zero relationship with him until he was in his late 20s because he put his career over his family. Get your family on board (and make sure she truly is excited for you and 100 percent!) because if they don't, its doomed imo.
What is it that you like about fire? haha! Send me a PM :P