Can't even get an interview for Auxiliary

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
aabb
Rookie Member

Can't even get an interview for Auxiliary

Postby aabb » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:30 am

I just can't wrap my head around all of this. I'm posting here to get some input and opinions.
I made it to the LFI with the OPP (only service I applied to for uniform recruitment) but was rightfully rejected afterwards as I was poorly prepared (I'm now better prepared for next time).

I then applied to OPP Auxiliary - not even an interview. I applied to DRPS Auxiliary then, also not an interview.

I'm going to provide some background info in the spirit of getting honest opinions and input:

Recent university graduate (last 2 years grades are excellent, ranging from A- to A+ with very few exceptions)
Volunteering experience with vulnerable groups for the last 2-3 years (is this considered long term?)
Stable job employment (minimum wage job) in the last 3 years
Speak a secondary language fluently
Collaborated on publishing several research articles in my university classes
Member of several clubs/organizations when I was in school

I have a feeling the people applying have a lot more life experience than me. Most are probably getting paid more than minimum wage. Many may have families and children perhaps. Maybe they have certifications or diplomas (in what exactly though) that make them more competitive. Maybe they have some training (again, in what though) that enhances their application.

I am dumbfounded as to what I should do. There is no way that I can tolerate working minimum wage for the next several years while I enhance my application. I am already in my mid 20s and I only have a bachelor's degree and some volunteering here and there. I am thinking of applying to some professional school programs and then keep re-applying to police as that is my ultimate goal.

But what else can I do to enhance my application? I can't even get into Auxiliary. Auxiliary appears to be - from my very limited experience - even more competitive than uniform recruitment.

I have an interview with Halton for the Volunteer Crisis Responder position but judging from how things have been going I'm not thrilled about my chances. What should I do? Go to Army Reserves? Become a special constable (even this is is difficult)? Attend safeTALK training (this is the only thing I know I can do to enhance my application)?

It's been a very discouraging year, and while I am not going to give up anytime soon, I am starting to think of alternative career options already at this point.

runningguy
Rookie Member

Re: Can't even get an interview for Auxiliary

Postby runningguy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Is there any other non-minimum wage job you can do that's related to your bachelor's degree before you get into law enforcement?
Auxiliary/Special Constable is not a stepping down from policing and they are looking for people with desired competencies that suit the job too.

adrian005
Rookie Member

Postby adrian005 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:38 pm

I understand that rejection could be very discouraging but you got to keep your head up man. I've applied to OPP, EPS, and OPS all rejected. I have a decent background from sales, personal training, customer service, and 6 years in the military with a police foundations diploma. Bottom line is, no service owes anyone an interview. Just got to be mature and take a rejection. Keep building that resume.

Cheers

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 pm

aabb wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:30 am
I just can't wrap my head around all of this. I'm posting here to get some input and opinions.
I made it to the LFI with the OPP (only service I applied to for uniform recruitment) but was rightfully rejected afterwards as I was poorly prepared (I'm now better prepared for next time).

I then applied to OPP Auxiliary - not even an interview. I applied to DRPS Auxiliary then, also not an interview.

I'm going to provide some background info in the spirit of getting honest opinions and input:

Recent university graduate (last 2 years grades are excellent, ranging from A- to A+ with very few exceptions)
Volunteering experience with vulnerable groups for the last 2-3 years (is this considered long term?)

I have a feeling the people applying have a lot more life experience than me. Most are probably getting paid more than minimum wage. Many may have families and children perhaps. Maybe they have certifications or diplomas (in what exactly though) that make them more competitive. Maybe they have some training (again, in what though) that enhances their application.

I am dumbfounded as to what I should do. There is no way that I can tolerate working minimum wage for the next several years while I enhance my application. I am already in my mid 20s and I only have a bachelor's degree and some volunteering here and there. I am thinking of applying to some professional school programs and then keep re-applying to police as that is my ultimate goal.

But what else can I do to enhance my application? I can't even get into Auxiliary. Auxiliary appears to be - from my very limited experience - even more competitive than uniform recruitment.

I have an interview with Halton for the Volunteer Crisis Responder position but judging from how things have been going I'm not thrilled about my chances. What should I do? Go to Army Reserves? Become a special constable (even this is is difficult)? Attend safeTALK training (this is the only thing I know I can do to enhance my application)?

It's been a very discouraging year, and while I am not going to give up anytime soon, I am starting to think of alternative career options already at this point.
Could it be where you are located? If you’re not close to where you are trying to volunteer they arent going to take you. They tell you what region you must live in to apply. If you live in halton you aren’t going to make it with Durham, if you’re in Durham you aren’t going to make it with halton crisis responder.

exle0987
Rookie Member

Postby exle0987 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi:

I haven't posted here in a long time, but thought I'd contribute my .02

One thing not mentioned in your post(s) is the Covid pandemic which is having quite an effect on recruiting and hiring. The recruitment/hiring process is notoriously slow even in the best of times, and even more so these days. Also ... jobs in the public service (almost any role) in this time of out-sized unemployment rates are considered highly attractive ... hence the competition is fierce.

Have you considered alternatives to police constable ... i.e. parking enforcement, special constable, call-taker/dispatcher? You mentioned Durham .... they are recruiting for call-takers. Job is 1450 hours per year ... part-time ... but the pay rate is good. Maybe By-Law Enforcement would be the way to go.

There are many diverse public safety careers out there ..... with the right attitude, most of them can be fulfilling and an excellent start to a law enforcement career.

As I said ... just my .02

-- cheers

aabb
Rookie Member

Postby aabb » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:08 pm

runningguy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:58 pm
Is there any other non-minimum wage job you can do that's related to your bachelor's degree before you get into law enforcement?
Auxiliary/Special Constable is not a stepping down from policing and they are looking for people with desired competencies that suit the job too.
There are not many decent paying jobs I can do with a bachelor's degree in my field. I graduated from a psychology related field by the way so as you can imagine people in my position (assuming they excel in school) either do a Master's then a PhD or go to professional school (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, etc.). I knew this before I got into the program and I was fine with it. Thankfully my grades have been very good lately so there are some doors that are open for me however they would require more schooling obviously.

I have been thinking about the 911 operator position lately. Well-paying but again the opportunities are slim. And when there are opportunities posted they tend to be mainly part-time (but its still much better than minimum wage).

aabb
Rookie Member

Postby aabb » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 pm

whatamiseeing wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 pm
aabb wrote:

Could it be where you are located? If you’re not close to where you are trying to volunteer they arent going to take you. They tell you what region you must live in to apply. If you live in halton you aren’t going to make it with Durham, if you’re in Durham you aren’t going to make it with halton crisis responder.
I am located in Hamilton. Halton have told me Hamilton is close enough for their volunteer position. But as for Durham I did not ask them ahead of time (before I submitted my application) if where I live would have an impact. I assumed they knew I would have been more than happy/willing to drive there for each shift (otherwise I wouldn't have applied). Heck, I would have been willing to relocate there and rent.

aabb
Rookie Member

Postby aabb » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:13 pm

exle0987 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:43 pm
Hi:

I haven't posted here in a long time, but thought I'd contribute my .02

One thing not mentioned in your post(s) is the Covid pandemic which is having quite an effect on recruiting and hiring. The recruitment/hiring process is notoriously slow even in the best of times, and even more so these days. Also ... jobs in the public service (almost any role) in this time of out-sized unemployment rates are considered highly attractive ... hence the competition is fierce.

Have you considered alternatives to police constable ... i.e. parking enforcement, special constable, call-taker/dispatcher? You mentioned Durham .... they are recruiting for call-takers. Job is 1450 hours per year ... part-time ... but the pay rate is good. Maybe By-Law Enforcement would be the way to go.

There are many diverse public safety careers out there ..... with the right attitude, most of them can be fulfilling and an excellent start to a law enforcement career.

As I said ... just my .02

-- cheers
Hi. Yes I have considered alternatives. I applied to TPS Parking but did not hear back. I applied to Hamilton Parking as well and also did not hear back (probably because they specified they want experience). The other thing I am considering now is the 911 dispatcher position. I haven't given it a lot of thought because I thought I would apply to the constable position at more services (I only applied to OPP, for Auxiliary I applied to OPP and Durham) before I make that decision.

exle0987
Rookie Member

Postby exle0987 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello again:

The pursuit of a career with a law enforcement agency can be long and frustrating. And, any given candidate will be considered highly desirable with one organization, but not so much with another.

Toronto and Peel are both nearing the end of their selection process(s) for Communicator, so I don't expect another recruitment campaign for either one for 12 - 18 months.

I you have your OACP cert, Toronto Community Housing is in the process of establishing an eligibility list for Special Constable. Pay is okay .. bennies are good ..

Halton Police Service will be opening recruitment for Auxiliary in the very near future .. i.e. some time in September. I like their program ... they actually use their Auxiliaries for things other than parades!!

-- cheers

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:07 pm

aabb wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 pm
whatamiseeing wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 pm
aabb wrote:

I am located in Hamilton. Halton have told me Hamilton is close enough for their volunteer position. But as for Durham I did not ask them ahead of time (before I submitted my application) if where I live would have an impact. I assumed they knew I would have been more than happy/willing to drive there for each shift (otherwise I wouldn't have applied). Heck, I would have been willing to relocate there and rent.
Halton was lenient because Hamilton is not 40 minutes away Durham was not as lenient since Hamilton is a distance away. Unfortunately they do not know you, this happens to everyone, happened to me with Hamilton auxiliary.

Keep trying its only a matter of time. How come you didnt apply to Hamilton Auxiliary in May?

redemptionmaster
Rookie Member

Postby redemptionmaster » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi there,

I’m not from Ontario, but I’ll say this, for 3 years I faced numerous rejections and deferrals. It was frustrating and took a toll, but at the end I said Law Enforcement is the only career choice I want because I’m passionate about it. That being said any dream you want will come with struggle and pain. Resiliency is a trait you need to overcome all this. Continue to apply to any law enforcement agency around Ontario, there is a lot, keep your mind open, Corrections, NSO, MTS, PPS, just to name a few, some may not be hiring at the moment but do apply when they are. Your lucky you are in Ontario as you have many options and different Law Enforcement fields available. Keep going and never give up, trust me I know how it feels to be rejected, but hey that doesn’t mean we quit. One day it will workout.

Regards,

Redemptionmaster

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:00 pm

I feel for you my friend.

I've applied to the RCMP 5 times total now, and every time I've failed I've done as much as I can to improve myself. My most recent application has been successful so far up to the clearance so my fingers are crossed this will be my year. I've been trying to get in since 2010

A little break down of what I've experienced-

First time I applied and failed I went to school and took crim (Criminology Diploma 2 year program)

Second time I applied, I failed and I continued in my studies but found work as a park bylaw officer and security while attending school to gain experience.

Third time I applied and failed I finished my schooling but was hired by provincial corrections after my practicum.

Fourth time I applied I failed, but I had applied to the sheriffs dept and have been working there since.

My 5th and most recent application has been successful so far. Additionally, I'm actually waiting for the CBSA academy to open up because I've been accepted by them. I'm in the precarious position of choosing if I want to go RCMP or CBSA. My heart has always been with the RCMP, I've been applying since I was 18 and now I'm 30 so just keep trying and improving yourself little by little. If its your dream keep chasing it, but also look at other avenues and keep an open book to opportunities.

I'd be thrilled to have a career with CBSA and I am going through with that process IF/UNTIL I get the golden call from DEPOT.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Took me 3 years to get into the service that i was aiming for all along. Some of it is luck. Other times, your competition is too stiff (better education, more life experience, etc). No one can really answer the question.
Last edited by Slovak4188 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

allinthegame
Rookie Member

Postby allinthegame » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:46 pm

I get the frustration of rejection, but you’ve only thrown your hat into three processes. That’s not very many. Policing is a difficult career to get into and most do not get hired on their first try, which most others in this thread can attest to. Just because you haven’t gotten an interview for auxiliary and you’ve been rejected by the only police service you’ve applied to doesn’t mean your doomed for ever. You’ll get over the rejection and you’ll learn from it and apply what you learned to the next process you put your name into. I think you’re overthinking things. If you really want it, you won’t let the frustration of being told “no” get to you.

LivePositive
Rookie Member

Postby LivePositive » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:28 am

Don't let it discourage you. I know people who tried for 10 years and spent a lot of money on the OACP or other certificates (In other province) to renew and eventually got in. Resilience is a trait that is needed to keep yourself moving forward. Continue to challenge yourself, ask questions, research etc. Any extra workshop training helps. This is such a dynamic career, you can be dealing with anything, so any knowledge and skills can be an asset.

Good Luck!