Post Secondary Requirements for 2021

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TorontoDan
Rookie Member

Post Secondary Requirements for 2021

Postby TorontoDan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi guys,

I have been doing some research on the new post secondary requirements for the 2021 hiring year. After reviewing the FAQ section of the OACP CSS website, it lead me to section 83 of the Comprehensive Ontario Police Services Act which presents this information:

(f) meets one of the following conditions:

(i) he or she has,

(A) a university degree, or

(B) a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,

(ii) he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,

(iii) he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),

(iv) if additional criteria have been prescribed, he or she has a secondary school diploma and meets the additional criteria.

Does anybody have any information on if a red seal trade apprenticeship would satisfy this requirement? I have a certificate from an Ontario college for my in-class trade school portion of my apprenticeship.

I have contacted the OACP directly but they suggested I contacted the individual police services as they may have more information. After contacting a few police agencies, I received some "yes" and some "no". If anyone is able to provide any clearer information, it would be greatly appreciated, or I will wait until more headway is made with this Act and contact OACP again.

Thanks!

Pete Broccolo

Re: Post Secondary Requirements for 2021

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:13 am

TorontoDan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:35 pm
Hi guys,

I have been doing some research on the new post secondary requirements for the 2021 hiring year. After reviewing the FAQ section of the OACP CSS website, it lead me to section 83 of the Comprehensive Ontario Police Services Act which presents this information:

(f) meets one of the following conditions:

(i) he or she has,

(A) a university degree, or

(B) a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,

(ii) he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,

(iii) he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),

(iv) if additional criteria have been prescribed, he or she has a secondary school diploma and meets the additional criteria.

Does anybody have any information on if a red seal trade apprenticeship would satisfy this requirement? I have a certificate from an Ontario college for my in-class trade school portion of my apprenticeship.

I have contacted the OACP directly but they suggested I contacted the individual police services as they may have more information. After contacting a few police agencies, I received some "yes" and some "no". If anyone is able to provide any clearer information, it would be greatly appreciated, or I will wait until more headway is made with this Act and contact OACP again.

Thanks!
This is ALSO being locked, and you MUST begin CAREFULLY reviewing the threads for the Agencies that you REASONABLY would be interested in applying towards.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)