Hearing Test Fail

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
crossfitguy031
Rookie Member

Hearing Test Fail

Postby crossfitguy031 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 pm

So I failed my hearing test (Did not meet standard) but I still got my OACP certificate...Now does this mean that my OACP is no longer valid cause I failed my hearing test? Should I still apply to policing even though I did not meet the hearing standard? But still meet every requirements?

dalooking
Rookie Member

Re: Hearing Test Fail

Postby dalooking » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm almost certain you'll be tested on your hearing during the medical stage of the hiring process. If you failed pre-hiring then it will be a waste of time to get to the medical and fail again. Talk to the recruiters before applying to see your options.

crossfitguy031
Rookie Member

Postby crossfitguy031 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks brother...that's what I was thinking too. I hope they'll take in consideration my 25 years in the army, hence my hearing loss due to lots of exposures to loud noises.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 am

Did you fail by much? I failed once as well, by like two decibels in my right ear only. I had to get the completed in canel hearing aid and passed.

Might be an option for you as well. Don't give up.

crossfitguy031
Rookie Member

Postby crossfitguy031 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm

lol...wear a hearing aid for a hearing test??? Isn't that cheating?? LOL...I know this will never be allowed in the army...I know because I tried it once and was told to remove it! So as about a dozen or so guys in my unit who tried that and was told not to wear hearing aids.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:07 am

crossfitguy031 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 pm
So I failed my hearing test (Did not meet standard) but I still got my OACP certificate...Now does this mean that my OACP is no longer valid cause I failed my hearing test? Should I still apply to policing even though I did not meet the hearing standard? But still meet every requirements?
Go to another hearing place and get the test done.
Maybe you had an off day or the equipment wasn’t up to par.
Correctional Officer, CO2

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 am

crossfitguy031 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:56 pm
Thanks brother...that's what I was thinking too. I hope they'll take in consideration my 25 years in the army, hence my hearing loss due to lots of exposures to loud noises.
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:07 am
crossfitguy031 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 pm
Go to another hearing place and get the test done.
Maybe you had an off day or the equipment wasn’t up to par.
Or maybe you can't hear up to standards. That's not a shot, but after 25 years in the Army, the cumulative effect of whatever explosives you were nearby can mess up your hearing permanently. There are tons of people working that were ex-forces, but it's not always a possibility. Best of luck, but if you already failed, don't get your hopes up.
Former SBSO PRA (CBSA)
App - 08/18
RPAB - 09/18
SP - 11/18
Suitability - 12/18
RMAQ - 02/19
RFI - 03/19
PEP - 05/19
Med/Psych - 05/19
Med/Psych Rec - 06/19
Sec Clearance - 07/19
Sec Clearance Rec -
Troop Offer -
Troop #

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:07 am

crossfitguy031 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm
lol...wear a hearing aid for a hearing test??? Isn't that cheating?? LOL...I know this will never be allowed in the army...I know because I tried it once and was told to remove it! So as about a dozen or so guys in my unit who tried that and was told not to wear hearing aids.
I had a friend who did his vision test with his glasses on.. and he’s currently at OPC so 🤷🏻‍♂️