APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am
Contact:

APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Galadriel0718 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I figured I would start a new thread for those interested in applying or who have applied to Animal Welfare or Control Officer positions. I am located in Ontario so referring to that through the Ontario Public Service under the newly imposed PAWS legislation, however, general questions about ACOs can be asked that are outside of Ontario.

Please feel free to post any application updates and/or questions here.
:wave: :thumbsup:
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 am

Does anyone know exactly how many inspectors the province is looking to hire? I know the competition is closed and approx 1208 applicants have applied. Seems like there is no information what training is involved? Or how the system is going to be implemented.

User avatar
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Galadriel0718 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm

poped79 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 am
Does anyone know exactly how many inspectors the province is looking to hire? I know the competition is closed and approx 1208 applicants have applied. Seems like there is no information what training is involved? Or how the system is going to be implemented.
Hi,

I read that the province is looking to hire approximately 100 or so. In terms of the "1208 applicants", it's hard to say because on the posting, there is 3-4 position available but the posting also stipulates it's a talent pool for future openings.

Because it's such a new implementation, they may just be testing out the waters to gage interest.

Fingers crossed they'll have a hiring wave.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:38 pm

Let's hope the numbers are higher than 100 province wide. I believe Manitoba has approx 100 inspectors, hopefully Ontario will have significantly more based on geographical area and increased population.

User avatar
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Galadriel0718 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm

poped79 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Let's hope the numbers are higher than 100 province wide. I believe Manitoba has approx 100 inspectors, hopefully Ontario will have significantly more based on geographical area and increased population.
I would hope so too - also hoping the posting is accurate for the 4-6 week timeline...
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm

I'm hoping the hiring is pretty fast an steady. I can't imagine that the police can really devout a ton of resources towards animal investigations so the need is high to get inspectors trained and implemented immediately. Hope to hear back in the next week or so.

User avatar
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Galadriel0718 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm

poped79 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm
I'm hoping the hiring is pretty fast an steady. I can't imagine that the police can really devout a ton of resources towards animal investigations so the need is high to get inspectors trained and implemented immediately. Hope to hear back in the next week or so.
Me too - Let me know if you do!
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Ya will do for sure!! Not alot of information is available to gauge where they are in the process

brunswck1979
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby brunswck1979 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:02 pm

Where did you see the posting for this?

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Here's the link, but the competition closed on January 10/2020


https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=140732

User avatar
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Galadriel0718 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 pm

poped79 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm
Ya will do for sure!! Not alot of information is available to gauge where they are in the process
If you click in the confirmation email you were sent, it has a hyperlink that says "job advertisement page" and it tells you the status: "Application Screening".

I just checked it and still said the above.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Ya been checking that..just waiting for it to change. Who really knows if it's even accurate?

User avatar
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Galadriel0718 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 am

poped79 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 pm
Ya been checking that..just waiting for it to change. Who really knows if it's even accurate?
Who knows... I think the 4-6 weeks timeline is for the regular postings not the talent pool - I believe they hold resumes on file for 18 months. Hopefully they can do it quickly though, making it difficult with other applications to hold out for this one which may or may not pan out.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

Fonthill
Veteran Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby Fonthill » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm

poped79 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Here's the link, but the competition closed on January 10/2020


https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=140732
Hmm, appears no use of force tools.

Good luck with your ticket books !
Correctional Officer, CO2

poped79
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: APPLICANTS - ANIMAL WELFARE & CONTROL

Postby poped79 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Effective use of Use of Force options and ability to complete Personal Safety Training and/or equivalent, as required by the Chief Inspector.
- Ability to meet all criteria to be appointed as an Inspector under the Province's animal welfare legislation.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Heretolearn and 4 guests