FSWEP SBSO 2019-20

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North

Re: FSWEP SBSO 2019-20

Postby A North » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm

SBSONS wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:18 pm
Thank you for the response, I am 18, first year university studying Criminology, I guess I need some more life experiences.

Just sad because I had my heart set on this..... oh well.

NS :|
If it means anything, I've tried every year for the past 4/5 years for SBSO and haven't been contacted in any of the processes. Best of luck in the future.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Jamesscobey
Rookie Member

Postby Jamesscobey » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 am

thomastrann wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm
Jamesscobey wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 pm
Are you sure an integrity interview is part of the SBSO process? I've been offered the job and I don't think i've done one.
Per my understanding of what I have gathered from research and other threads is that everyone is subject to an integrity interview which is necessary to obtain your secret clearance, typically towards the end of the process.

I already obtained my security clearance and was never contacted. Although my case may be different as my clearance only took a few weeks due to already having one with a different department.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am

chimesandlimes wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:59 am
Galadriel0718 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm
chimesandlimes wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:17 pm
Hello Everyone,

This forum is for Student Border Service Officer for upcoming year of summer 2020. We can discuss and track progress here.

Has anyone received any email from them after applying or invitation for any tests yet?
Hey guys,

Congrats on embarking on your CBSA journey. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have as I've been in your shoes (or should I say boots...) before.

:drinking:
cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm
Probably all being done at the same time. If you've submitted paperwork for security clearances, it's probably already happening. You'll either get an integrity interview, or you won't. Good luck on your CAT III
@Galadriel @cbmcmsa
How long does it take from going from sbso to a full time bso? Just want to get a rough timeline! Thanks :)
Anywhere between 6 months and 100 years. Hope that clears things up.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am

Jamesscobey wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 am
thomastrann wrote:
Jamesscobey wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 pm
Are you sure an integrity interview is part of the SBSO process? I've been offered the job and I don't think i've done one.
Per my understanding of what I have gathered from research and other threads is that everyone is subject to an integrity interview which is necessary to obtain your secret clearance, typically towards the end of the process.

I already obtained my security clearance and was never contacted. Although my case may be different as my clearance only took a few weeks due to already having one with a different department.
What level have you been told that you obtained? Was the offer conditional? (<- Probably). Doesn't matter if you're coming from a different department, unless you've been a student with CBSA before in say Security or Hearings. You require a Secret level security clearance to be an SBSO, to get one, you are subject to a security integrity interview.

To put things in perspective. I was a SBSO for 4.5 years, still work for CBSA, am Bridging to become a full BSO, and still have a valid Secret clearance. In order to become a BSO they are redoing my entire clearance even though I'm still with the same agency and the level of clearance doesn't change.

EVERYONE IS SUBJECT TO SECURITY CLEARANCES, STUDENTS, OFFICERS, CLERKS, MAIL ROOM, ETC!
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Postby Galadriel0718 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:56 pm

chimesandlimes wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:59 am
Galadriel0718 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm
chimesandlimes wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:17 pm
Hello Everyone,

This forum is for Student Border Service Officer for upcoming year of summer 2020. We can discuss and track progress here.

Has anyone received any email from them after applying or invitation for any tests yet?
Hey guys,

Congrats on embarking on your CBSA journey. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have as I've been in your shoes (or should I say boots...) before.

:drinking:
cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 pm
Probably all being done at the same time. If you've submitted paperwork for security clearances, it's probably already happening. You'll either get an integrity interview, or you won't. Good luck on your CAT III
@Galadriel @cbmcmsa
How long does it take from going from sbso to a full time bso? Just want to get a rough timeline! Thanks :)
I applied in May and was in Rigaud by March the next year - there was no bridging when I did it though so can't speak for that process.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

Jamesscobey
Rookie Member

Postby Jamesscobey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:32 am

cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am
Jamesscobey wrote:
thomastrann wrote:

What level have you been told that you obtained? Was the offer conditional? (<- Probably). Doesn't matter if you're coming from a different department, unless you've been a student with CBSA before in say Security or Hearings. You require a Secret level security clearance to be an SBSO, to get one, you are subject to a security integrity interview.

To put things in perspective. I was a SBSO for 4.5 years, still work for CBSA, am Bridging to become a full BSO, and still have a valid Secret clearance. In order to become a BSO they are redoing my entire clearance even though I'm still with the same agency and the level of clearance doesn't change.

EVERYONE IS SUBJECT TO SECURITY CLEARANCES, STUDENTS, OFFICERS, CLERKS, MAIL ROOM, ETC!
Was told I obtained my secret security clearance which is what I applied for and what I already had with another department, the offer was conditional on the fact that I passed my medical, nothing said about security.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 am

Jamesscobey wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:32 am
cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am
Jamesscobey wrote:

Was told I obtained my secret security clearance which is what I applied for and what I already had with another department, the offer was conditional on the fact that I passed my medical, nothing said about security.
Seems odd, but if that's what they said, I won't tell you otherwise. Congrats!
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20

Oli123
Rookie Member

Postby Oli123 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am

Not sure if this has been asked/answered before, but does being a SBSO give you a sort of advantage over others when it's time to apply for the CBSA? (I would assume so).

I know that a lot of officers started their careers as SBSOs, so just wondering if that gave them an advantage over others who were never SBSOs and applied to become CBSA.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Oli123 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am
Not sure if this has been asked/answered before, but does being a SBSO give you a sort of advantage over others when it's time to apply for the CBSA? (I would assume so).

I know that a lot of officers started their careers as SBSOs, so just wondering if that gave them an advantage over others who were never SBSOs and applied to become CBSA.
Yes and no.

If you work hard and are diligent and build good rapport with the BSOs and Management you could potentially be bridged. What does that entail? You'll find out specifically from your management team, but generally, you prove that you're job competent and skip a step or two (interview) and are essentially recommended by a superintendent to Ottawa that you are a decent employee. You still do Psych, Medical, and redo security (6 months for me once again and I still don't have my renewed clearance. You get to see the operational aspect of the job before you get to be a full BSO so you have a slight edged when it comes to Rigaud because you can relate more with what's being taught as you've seen real world application of legislation.

The reason it isn't an advantage is because some don't get recommended for bridging and I've seen it crush the motivation from those people. Also you can still fail the psych, medical, PARE, and Security. You can also get to Rigaud and fail. You can get to Rigaud and assume you know the job and not take it seriously resulting in instructors hating you, members of your wave hating you, and more importantly a failure.

Yes it's true there are several officers nationwide that used to be a SBSO, however there are even more that have never done time as a student.

I would say the main advantage of being a SBSO before being a BSO would be that you gain a new found respect (hopefully) for the more menial aspects of the job, and the people who do them. You will be able to delineate between good and bad student and officer behaviours and hopefully make the right choice. You will also be more knowledgable right out of Rigaud because you will realize that there is a Rigaud way of doing things and a real world way of doing things right away vs a year or two down the line.

My end point is this. Any job, at any point in your life gives you experience. There are however, very few that can give you the exact same type of experience prior to Rigaud. Whether you see an advantage or not is really solely up to you.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Postby Galadriel0718 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:41 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:27 pm
Oli123 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am

Yes and no.

If you work hard and are diligent and build good rapport with the BSOs and Management you could potentially be bridged. What does that entail? You'll find out specifically from your management team, but generally, you prove that you're job competent and skip a step or two (interview) and are essentially recommended by a superintendent to Ottawa that you are a decent employee. You still do Psych, Medical, and redo security (6 months for me once again and I still don't have my renewed clearance. You get to see the operational aspect of the job before you get to be a full BSO so you have a slight edged when it comes to Rigaud because you can relate more with what's being taught as you've seen real world application of legislation.

The reason it isn't an advantage is because some don't get recommended for bridging and I've seen it crush the motivation from those people. Also you can still fail the psych, medical, PARE, and Security. You can also get to Rigaud and fail. You can get to Rigaud and assume you know the job and not take it seriously resulting in instructors hating you, members of your wave hating you, and more importantly a failure.

Yes it's true there are several officers nationwide that used to be a SBSO, however there are even more that have never done time as a student.

I would say the main advantage of being a SBSO before being a BSO would be that you gain a new found respect (hopefully) for the more menial aspects of the job, and the people who do them. You will be able to delineate between good and bad student and officer behaviours and hopefully make the right choice. You will also be more knowledgable right out of Rigaud because you will realize that there is a Rigaud way of doing things and a real world way of doing things right away vs a year or two down the line.

My end point is this. Any job, at any point in your life gives you experience. There are however, very few that can give you the exact same type of experience prior to Rigaud. Whether you see an advantage or not is really solely up to you.
I agree with this - the only real advantage being an SBSO transitioning into a FT BSO in terms of Rigaud is the knowledge you have gained from being an SBSO. You will find you spend less time on the small stuff such as primary questions and basic legislations you were taught during your on-boarding as a SBSO. You also know what to expect in terms of CDT and scenarios and the general way that CBSA operates depending on your SBSO POE.

Aside from those things, not much of a difference but you will definitely be a bit more confident heading to Rigaud.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

jas188
Rookie Member

Postby jas188 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Hey guys, newbie here lol.
Basically, I applied (Nov.27th) like most of you to be SBSO for the upcoming summer. I passed the exam, the interview (Feb. 4th), did my medical assessement (Feb. 18th) and sent my fingerprints (Feb. 10th). I haven't heard anything since mid-february and I know it's too soon to tell if I got the job or not but I'm just curious to see if any of you heard back from the CBSA? Do you think we'll get to work this summer considering the ongoing pandemic?

thanksss

Oli123
Rookie Member

Postby Oli123 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:02 am

jas188 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 pm
Basically, I applied (Nov.27th) like most of you to be SBSO for the upcoming summer. I passed the exam, the interview (Feb. 4th), did my medical assessement (Feb. 18th) and sent my fingerprints (Feb. 10th). I haven't heard anything since mid-february and I know it's too soon to tell if I got the job or not but I'm just curious to see if any of you heard back from the CBSA? Do you think we'll get to work this summer considering the ongoing pandemic?

thanksss
Because you did the interview, assessment, and fingerprints so late, it might take a while to find out. I did everything in early January and got my job offer mid-February. I recently had to give in my measurements for the uniform, so I would wait a bit more. I'm scheduled to start May 1st.

As for working this summer with the pandemic, seems to me they are still going to get us to work seeing as they just recently asked me for my measurements, but honestly who knows what everything will be like in 2 weeks from now, or even the beginning of May.

Good luck!

jas188
Rookie Member

Postby jas188 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Oli123 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:02 am
jas188 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 pm

thanksss
Because you did the interview, assessment, and fingerprints so late, it might take a while to find out. I did everything in early January and got my job offer mid-February. I recently had to give in my measurements for the uniform, so I would wait a bit more. I'm scheduled to start May 1st.

As for working this summer with the pandemic, seems to me they are still going to get us to work seeing as they just recently asked me for my measurements, but honestly who knows what everything will be like in 2 weeks from now, or even the beginning of May.

Good luck!
Hey, thanks for replying! So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. May I ask when did you complete your exam? And your interview? Because I just saw that you applied for region of Montreal, and that's where I applied too. Again, I'm just curious so feel free to answer or not

thanks and congrats btw

Jamesscobey
Rookie Member

Postby Jamesscobey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 am

Just got told that my job is on indefinite hold due to covid-19, I assume it'll be the same for everyone else.

Oli123
Rookie Member

Postby Oli123 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Jamesscobey wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 am
Just got told that my job is on indefinite hold due to covid-19, I assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Were you supposed to work at the mail room or the airport?