New recruits at an all-time low

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

New recruits at an all-time low

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 am

CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Re: New recruits at an all-time low

Postby Fonthill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 am
See Article

https://globalnews.ca/news/6006258/poli ... tics-2019/
Well, another factor. What other jobs makes you pay for testing to get it. Get rid of ATS and you will see the numbers raise slightly

I refuse to pay for ATS biggest scam out there
Correctional Officer, CO2

JeanFrancois
Rookie Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 am
JeanFrancois wrote:
See Article

Well, another factor. What other jobs makes you pay for testing to get it. Get rid of ATS and you will see the numbers raise slightly

I partially agree with ATS, everbody has to pay their dues, but I don't believe you should be excluded from applying because you do not have it.
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

ksowa91
Rookie Member

Postby ksowa91 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Fonthill wrote:
JeanFrancois wrote:
See Article

I don't see how ATS requirement has anything to do with raising the number of recruits? It is up each individual service to come up with number of vacancies for which hundreds of people compete for. Low vacancies are mostly affected by budget cuts, etc. ATS is a firm that conducts pre-interview testing for candidates to fill those limited vacancies. Its not the ATS you want to blame, but the fact that there isn't enough funding to hire more people.

If you want easy way in, go to the US. They sure don't any funding issue at the moment when it comes to law enforcement

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm

ksowa91 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Fonthill wrote:
JeanFrancois wrote:
See Article

I don't see how ATS requirement has anything to do with raising the number of recruits? It is up each individual service to come up with number of vacancies for which hundreds of people compete for. Low vacancies are mostly affected by budget cuts, etc. ATS is a firm that conducts pre-interview testing for candidates to fill those limited vacancies. Its not the ATS you want to blame, but the fact that there isn't enough funding to hire more people.

If you want easy way in, go to the US. They sure don't any funding issue at the moment when it comes to law enforcement

Nobody looking for a free ride

Look at the OPP when they took away the ATS

For myself, it is a complete turn off when you have to pay something that you are not even guarantee it get. #scam

MRKB
Rookie Member

Postby MRKB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm
ksowa91 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

For myself, it is a complete turn off when you have to pay something that you are not even guarantee it get. #scam
You are paying for the opportunity to take the test. You aren't paying for a pass. You will be really disappointed when it goes back to the way it was before ATS where you have to pay to apply to each police service. Then you have to do the written test, physical test, hearing test, vision test.... for each place you apply.

Just think of how it used to be. You wanted to apply for OPP, Peel, Toronto, Ottawa and NRPS. For each of those applications you had to pay the police service $250 - $300 to apply. Then you had to do each ones individual written and physical tests. Then you had to get hearing and vision tests done on their individual test forms. That's 5 written test, 5 physical tests, 5 hearing tests (you pay for) and 5 vision tests (you pay for). So you have now spent thousands of dollars to apply (with no guarantee that you will pass or move on).

ATS may have problems but it is way better than it used to be.

Mike
Police Officer

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:01 pm

MRKB wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 pm
Fonthill wrote:
ksowa91 wrote:

You are paying for the opportunity to take the test. You aren't paying for a pass. You will be really disappointed when it goes back to the way it was before ATS where you have to pay to apply to each police service. Then you have to do the written test, physical test, hearing test, vision test.... for each place you apply.

Just think of how it used to be. You wanted to apply for OPP, Peel, Toronto, Ottawa and NRPS. For each of those applications you had to pay the police service $250 - $300 to apply. Then you had to do each ones individual written and physical tests. Then you had to get hearing and vision tests done on their individual test forms. That's 5 written test, 5 physical tests, 5 hearing tests (you pay for) and 5 vision tests (you pay for). So you have now spent thousands of dollars to apply (with no guarantee that you will pass or move on).

ATS may have problems but it is way better than it used to be.

Mike
I respect what you are saying. I’m not disagreeing.

I’ll never pay for the opportunity for a job with no guarantees

A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Postby A.blackburn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:07 am

Fonthill wrote:
ksowa91 wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

That gave me a good laugh. You couldn’t handle it here in Quebec. We have to pay for 3 years of college, then the fees for all the tests (written, physical and medical) and then we have to pay for our police academy (around 9000). After graduation you’re still unemployed and have to find a department that is willing to hire you. I’m glad I did it while i was still young because with a wife and kids you can’t really afford it.
209e Promotion

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 am

Just apply to Edmonton where you can take all the tests for free.

And then get a 5k moving allowance.

And then get paid throughout training without paying a dime for training.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am

A.blackburn wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:07 am
Fonthill wrote:
ksowa91 wrote:

That gave me a good laugh. You couldn’t handle it here in Quebec. We have to pay for 3 years of college, then the fees for all the tests (written, physical and medical) and then we have to pay for our police academy (around 9000). After graduation you’re still unemployed and have to find a department that is willing to hire you. I’m glad I did it while i was still young because with a wife and kids you can’t really afford it.
Well, I’m glad it gave you a laugh :)

Here in Ontario, cadets have to pay for OPC also. That wasn’t the issue about the hiring.

As a person, you should never have to pay for something that there is no guarantee for on achieving.

And the past is the past. I’m in the future and times have changed.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 am

MasterPlanMan wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 am
Just apply to Edmonton where you can take all the tests for free.

And then get a 5k moving allowance.

And then get paid throughout training without paying a dime for training.
That is a great employer. No reason why the police dept. in Ontario can’t do that same thing.

GloQc
Rookie Member

Postby GloQc » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Got to agree on ATS being a scam. Ive known a great native police officer who failed ATS on the report portion. Ive read this guys reports. The guy wrote amazing reports and was amongst the best PC Ive known. Yet he had to go through ATS in spite of his police experience since aboriginal police force werent considered "police".

As of me too, there is no way in hell im paying for ATS. I also have native police constable experience and been a special constable for almost 10 years. By principle I wont pay for someone unqualified to tell me if im fit or not for a job I have done and been fully trained to do before. Call me intitled or what ever. Maybe I dont want it bad enough. Truth is im sure there are many good applicants out there in similar situation.

As of the Québec police argument, its the worst system ever to hire police officers and is only good if your a 17 year old kid with good marks in high school and made up your mind before you even have the right to drink alcohol legally which is what over 3/4 of Québec recruits are. And to pay Nicolet 10k for only chance to get hired is retarded.

ygu31
Rookie Member

Postby ygu31 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks to the aging of the baby boomer generation which decreased the number of police officers :( :(
Lots of police agencies lower their recruiting standards to get enough recruits, it might not be an ideal option, but it is much better than let OT out of control and make staff member burned out, or even jeopardize the public safety dramatically.
But I knew there are still certain agencies won't lower the bar for the recruit, which is quit impressed in this particular situation.
On the side, it is a good news for LEO applicants.
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present

MRKB
Rookie Member

Postby MRKB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am
A.blackburn wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

Here in Ontario, cadets have to pay for OPC also. That wasn’t the issue about the hiring.

As a person, you should never have to pay for something that there is no guarantee for on achieving.

Do you have a driver's license? You know you had to pay with no guarantee of achieving it right? To sit back and say having to pay for something without a guaranteed positive result at the end is a rather entitled view of things.

If we were to look at it that way we could say why would a police service cover all the costs of you applying when there is no guarantee you will pass everything. Why should they take the risk that you are a poor candidate?

As for EPS.... There is one problem with them. You have to live in the Edmonton area. I have lived here for the last 10 years. I went with RCMP so that I can get out of here. Btw there is no guarantee you will pass their training. So you move out here for a job and get canned within a few weeks. It happens.

If you are looking for guarantees this is the wrong career for you. No such thing in policing.

Mike
Police Officer

ygu31
Rookie Member

Postby ygu31 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 pm

MRKB wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am
A.blackburn wrote:

Do you have a driver's license? You know you had to pay with no guarantee of achieving it right? To sit back and say having to pay for something without a guaranteed positive result at the end is a rather entitled view of things.

If we were to look at it that way we could say why would a police service cover all the costs of you applying when there is no guarantee you will pass everything. Why should they take the risk that you are a poor candidate?

As for EPS.... There is one problem with them. You have to live in the Edmonton area. I have lived here for the last 10 years. I went with RCMP so that I can get out of here. Btw there is no guarantee you will pass their training. So you move out here for a job and get canned within a few weeks. It happens.

If you are looking for guarantees this is the wrong career for you. No such thing in policing.

Mike
True say. No risk, no reward.
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present