Psychological assessment Fail

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

LeoLeoi
Rookie Member

Psychological assessment Fail

Postby LeoLeoi » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 am

Well guys, that's it.
I was invited for the YRP psychological test (Minnesota 2.0 or smth like this) and the evaluation with the psychologist. and 1 week after, I received the terrible call from my recruiter informing that I didn't pass this stage and therefore I would be removed from the hiring process.
I was bad for the whole day since I was preparing myself during the last 4 years for it and wasn't expecting AT ALL to fail in the psych. In fact, I was the only stage I was really confident about the success.
Now I need to wait for one year before applying again, and probably when I am allowed to submit my application again, the class will be full already, what will make me wait for another 4 months. :(

What bugs me is not the fact that I fail, it does, ofc, but is worse first because I literally never find someone with better mental health than me, no stress at all, patient, logical, no suicidal thoughts, not hearing voices, with a lovely and bonded family and good friends. Besides, during my work as security, I passed through many emergency situations, alarms, trespassers, arrests, death, fights, etc and always deal with it in a proper way.
Then the psychologist has a 45 minutes session with me to tell the police department that I am not mentally fit for the job, and moreover, the information is all confidential and I, the subject, am not allowed to received any results from it, so I don't know the reason for failing it, and neither the police or the psychologist would tell me. Now I on stand by for 1 year for all the police departments around and all my future plans are messy.

Did anyone pass for this kind of experience? or Know what is on the stack for these tests and what are they really checking during the process?

PS: sorry for the big post :|
Applied- YRP - (April 2019)
PBQ- YRP - (May 2019)- Completed
Interview- YRP - (June 2019) - Completed
Psych- YRP - (June 2019) - Fail :(

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Re: Psychological assessment Fail

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am

LeoLeoi wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 am
Well guys, that's it.
I was invited for the YRP psychological test (Minnesota 2.0 or smth like this) and the evaluation with the psychologist. and 1 week after, I received the terrible call from my recruiter informing that I didn't pass this stage and therefore I would be removed from the hiring process.
I was bad for the whole day since I was preparing myself during the last 4 years for it and wasn't expecting AT ALL to fail in the psych. In fact, I was the only stage I was really confident about the success.
Now I need to wait for one year before applying again, and probably when I am allowed to submit my application again, the class will be full already, what will make me wait for another 4 months. :(

What bugs me is not the fact that I fail, it does, ofc, but is worse first because I literally never find someone with better mental health than me, no stress at all, patient, logical, no suicidal thoughts, not hearing voices, with a lovely and bonded family and good friends. Besides, during my work as security, I passed through many emergency situations, alarms, trespassers, arrests, death, fights, etc and always deal with it in a proper way.
Then the psychologist has a 45 minutes session with me to tell the police department that I am not mentally fit for the job, and moreover, the information is all confidential and I, the subject, am not allowed to received any results from it, so I don't know the reason for failing it, and neither the police or the psychologist would tell me. Now I on stand by for 1 year for all the police departments around and all my future plans are messy.

Did anyone pass for this kind of experience? or Know what is on the stack for these tests and what are they really checking during the process?

You are mistaken as to what the Psych interview's purpose is.

Obviously they are looking for candidates with good mental health, but it is also testing for a candidate's suitability for the job and more specifically with that service. Additionally, you are STILL competing with anyone else whom got to that stage. Maybe you passed the test, but there were other people that are just better suited than you for the job.

I failed the Psych in 2013 (I was able to get more info regarding the test from the Psych and he said i failed because there were better candidates than me). I did it again in 2016 and passed. I am with the service that was my ultimate goal rather than the one that failed me.

You may want to verify if you are out of the running for all of Ontario as well. Any police service that uses the CSS will not take an application from you for a year.

See Hamilton's page for more info:

https://hamiltonpolice.on.ca/careers/po ... ng-process
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:34 pm

LeoLeoi wrote:
Well guys, that's it.

I assume you were to honest and nothing wrong with that.
Do you believe in ghost. What would you answer ?
I have friends fail one law enforcement test like these and then pass others.
Correctional Officer, CO2

mrtinfoilman
Rookie Member

Postby mrtinfoilman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am
LeoLeoi wrote:
Well guys, that's it.

Obviously they are looking for candidates with good mental health, but it is also testing for a candidate's suitability for the job and more specifically with that service. Additionally, you are STILL competing with anyone else whom got to that stage. Maybe you passed the test, but there were other people that are just better suited than you for the job.

I failed the Psych in 2013 (I was able to get more info regarding the test from the Psych and he said i failed because there were better candidates than me). I did it again in 2016 and passed. I am with the service that was my ultimate goal rather than the one that failed me.

You may want to verify if you are out of the running for all of Ontario as well. Any police service that uses the CSS will not take an application from you for a year.

Im assuming you're YRP? What was your cumulative volunteer hours? Also for OP, Im sorry to hear that bud, don't think too hard on it and too much into it. You went hit a stage where many people didn't get the opportunity to reach. Try again and you'll achieve it.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 am

mrtinfoilman wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
LeoLeoi wrote:
Well guys, that's it.

Im assuming you're YRP? What was your cumulative volunteer hours? Also for OP, Im sorry to hear that bud, don't think too hard on it and too much into it. You went hit a stage where many people didn't get the opportunity to reach. Try again and you'll achieve it.
Nope, not YRP. My cumulative volunteer hours were near the 3000 range. I also continue to volunteer with 2 organizations to this day as well.

mrtinfoilman
Rookie Member

Postby mrtinfoilman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 am
mrtinfoilman wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

Nope, not YRP. My cumulative volunteer hours were near the 3000 range. I also continue to volunteer with 2 organizations to this day as well.
Do you think 200 cumulative volunteer hours will be "okay". I've spoken to some constables where others said they did like next to none and some did countless of volunteer work. I did a bunch during University but I couldn't get references for most of them. I just applied to some places locally but I have extremely good credentials with letter of references from professors and members of YRP (civilian side tho). Maybe I'm just thinking too much into but if they receives hundreds of applications, they'll need an excuse to defer you.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:42 pm

mrtinfoilman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 am
Slovak4188 wrote:
mrtinfoilman wrote:

Do you think 200 cumulative volunteer hours will be "okay". I've spoken to some constables where others said they did like next to none and some did countless of volunteer work. I did a bunch during University but I couldn't get references for most of them. I just applied to some places locally but I have extremely good credentials with letter of references from professors and members of YRP (civilian side tho). Maybe I'm just thinking too much into but if they receives hundreds of applications, they'll need an excuse to defer you.
I’m sorry, but if a employer or any job is looking for volunteers hours, I would be so gone and not even applying
It’s sad, you think once you get hired you will volunteer, hell no.
I think 200 hours is great, the employer should be happy you even gave that much of your time.
By reading this, sounds like you only want to volunteer to get into policing.
Correctional Officer, CO2

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:46 pm

mrtinfoilman wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:
mrtinfoilman wrote:

Your last sentence basically sums up what i was going to tell you. YRP are ULTRA competitive. Let's be totally blunt, the York region is one of the wealthiest in Canada. It's a very cushy service to work for. With that being said, if it comes down to you and 10 others whom are fighting for 1 spot and everything is virtually identical, they will pick the people with the extensive volunteer hours.

I'm not a recruiter so I can't tell you 200 hours is or isn't okay. I will tell you 200 hours with my recruiter when I was hired (whom is now a Sarge) would not fly at all.

mrtinfoilman
Rookie Member

Postby mrtinfoilman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:46 pm
mrtinfoilman wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

Your last sentence basically sums up what i was going to tell you. YRP are ULTRA competitive. Let's be totally blunt, the York region is one of the wealthiest in Canada. It's a very cushy service to work for. With that being said, if it comes down to you and 10 others whom are fighting for 1 spot and everything is virtually identical, they will pick the people with the extensive volunteer hours.

I'm not a recruiter so I can't tell you 200 hours is or isn't okay. I will tell you 200 hours with my recruiter when I was hired (whom is now a Sarge) would not fly at all.
Appreciate the response. Stay safe.

JCPenny1
Rookie Member

Postby JCPenny1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:34 am

LeoLeoi wrote:
Well guys, that's it.

I'm going to be very blunt with you and tell you when I read your post, you sound like you deserve the job and it's supposed to be handed to you. You, like many of us, are not entitled to get the job just because you've prepared for it "X" amount of years. It does not matter if you've seen "a lot" in security.

No one on here is going to tell you how to pass this test, because quite frankly it's up to the psychologist to interpret the results you put down.

Now, having said that. It's not the end of the world, you're just going to have to go back to the drawing board and self-evaluate. What can you do to be better next time around ? And if your answer is "I NEED to do more things to look good on a police application" then you need to check yourself out and find a new career.

Remain persistent, stay focused and determined. If this is what you really want to do, you're going to have to keep grinding away.

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Mental health isn't strictly about "hearing voices, suicidal thoughts". Hearing voices is part of a diagnosed mental disorder and suicidal idealations can come from a wide range of sources and not all are related to mental health.

Nor does dealing with situations in "a proper way" equate with being mentally prepared for policing. It means you went through the motions and followed guidelines. Your statement eludes that officers or persons who have suffered with mental illness are loose cannons, violent, unstable or unpredictable. All of which isn't the case.

Mental health goes beyond what you speak of and you seem to have the mentality that you can handle everything and anything. That is a problem. Huge problem. You're going to contribute to the stigma that surrounds first responders, specifically if you have a good family, can deal with situations, good friends that you're fine and "tough enough" to cope. Also, at the risk of sounding like an arrogant twat, dealing with deaths, alarms, etc as security is wayyyyyy different than how one deals with situations as EMS, fire, police and special constables.

The fact of the matter is that you can have all what you speak of and still be hit by mental illness. 45% of Canadians will, at one point, suffer from one. That doesn't mean they'll try to kill themsrlves, it means depression, anxiety, etc. Nor does it mean they are less suited to continue with their roles. So I suggest you get that notion out of your head.

As for looking to pass it.....toss that notion into the trash. The assessment isn't something you study to pass, it's something that you need to be honest on and not fake it til you make it.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Take it with a grain of salt and re-apply or appeal it after speaking with a shrink. Definitely get a professional second opinion. I took the same MMPI 2 tests with 2 different agencies. Passed one, bombed the other. Funny since I am already in an armed law enforcement position. Psych's aren't perfect, and make mistakes too. If they don't like you, or get a bad vibe it could be the end of the road for your application. It's happened to me, and time and time again with lots of people I know. I personally believe the psych tests are the weak point in the application process. I get that they have a job to do and a best place to try and detect mental health issues from coming to the force, but the differential variables that vary from tester to tester is broken. Getting a psych test done shouldn't be a roll of the dice and that's where its at in its current state.

IMO.
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Submitted
July 29th 2019: Psych Test - Written

TacticalPotato
Rookie Member

Postby TacticalPotato » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Honesty can go a long way, just saying...
POLICE CONSTABLE
BCT-1719

“Do not wait; the time will never be ‘just right.’ Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.” —George Herbert

mrtinfoilman
Rookie Member

Postby mrtinfoilman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:35 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:37 pm
Take it with a grain of salt and re-apply or appeal it after speaking with a shrink. Definitely get a professional second opinion. I took the same MMPI 2 tests with 2 different agencies. Passed one, bombed the other. Funny since I am already in an armed law enforcement position. Psych's aren't perfect, and make mistakes too.

IMO.
:drinking: