Police Constable Application "Number/Info of Supervisor"

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

mrtinfoilman

Police Constable Application "Number/Info of Supervisor"

Postby mrtinfoilman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Okay, I volunteered a bit but I did not keep information or contact information. I know the names of the organization but I'm wondering if my application might be halted if I don't have a "supervisor" name. I'm applying to York Regional Police from what I've asked other, alot of people bullsh*t this part. Im also trying to get my highschool transcript even though I'm a University graduate. They also want a copy of my High School Diploma which is probably lawn fertilizer by now.

Jesus christ. Anyone have any problems regarding this portion. Thanks

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Re: Police Constable Application "Number/Info of Supervisor"

Postby Fonthill » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 pm

mrtinfoilman wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:09 pm
Okay, I volunteered a bit but I did not keep information or contact information. I know the names of the organization but I'm wondering if my application might be halted if I don't have a "supervisor" name. I'm applying to York Regional Police from what I've asked other, alot of people bullsh*t this part. Im also trying to get my highschool transcript even though I'm a University graduate. They also want a copy of my High School Diploma which is probably lawn fertilizer by now.

You should be able to give a first name and last name. And, if It is to volunteer a CPIC must of been done. The police will find it.

Also, you can request high school diploma by contacting the school board you went to. Super easy.

You are raising RED FLAGS. You are smart enough to graduate from University, but not smart enough to figure this issue.

I would say nobody has problems with this.
Correctional Officer, CO2

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 pm
mrtinfoilman wrote:

You should be able to give a first name and last name. And, if It is to volunteer a CPIC must of been done. The police will find it.

Also, you can request high school diploma by contacting the school board you went to. Super easy.

You are raising RED FLAGS. You are smart enough to graduate from University, but not smart enough to figure this issue.

I would say nobody has problems with this.
I called the Transcript office of my school board and they don't issue high school diplomas from what I was told. The alternative for this is to go to my high school I graduated from and have them print something out stating I graduated according to the application.

Transcript is not a problem. I just have to double check if the school board has all my marks since I attended two school boards.

I don't understand what you mean for the Canadian Police Information Centre in regards to volunteering. I've never been asked to submit a background check for volunteer work during school.

As for people not having problems, I'm sure many people ran into problems getting their application package together. I'm just the special case that decided to write it publicly here.

Only flags I'm raising is the raptors flag.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:30 am

mrtinfoilman wrote:

The red flags you are raising, aside from the Raps ones aren't so much about the fact that you were having trouble locating this stuff, although that's still somewhat troubling. The fact that you have heard and seem willing to engage in "bullshitting" on your application package is probably more of an issue.

High school transcript will indicate whether or not you graduated, and as a result should negate the need for an actual diploma/graduation certificate, and are extremely easy to get, you just need to call the high school you graduated from and make the request. The fact that you attended two different school boards through high school should make no difference, as the last school you went to should have records of what you did prior to attending there, unless they just took your word for it that you successfully passed all the classes you took prior to attending their school.

A better avenue than posting your questionably worded post would have been to send an email to the recruiting unit at YRPS and sought clarification.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 pm

VanSmack wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:30 am
mrtinfoilman wrote:

The red flags you are raising, aside from the Raps ones aren't so much about the fact that you were having trouble locating this stuff, although that's still somewhat troubling. The fact that you have heard and seem willing to engage in "bullshitting" on your application package is probably more of an issue.

High school transcript will indicate whether or not you graduated, and as a result should negate the need for an actual diploma/graduation certificate, and are extremely easy to get, you just need to call the high school you graduated from and make the request. The fact that you attended two different school boards through high school should make no difference, as the last school you went to should have records of what you did prior to attending there, unless they just took your word for it that you successfully passed all the classes you took prior to attending their school.

A better avenue than posting your questionably worded post would have been to send an email to the recruiting unit at YRPS and sought clarification.
Hi there. I just went through the process and received my formal letter from the school board and transcript. I wasn't having "trouble" getting my transcript, I literally just wrote I'm trying to get it. My original post was about information of the volunteer work and the supervisors contact information. I don't know where some of the individuals are. As for your other notion, I would never do that especially at the fact that they'll validate all the information I provide them. I just decided to write a semi-rant, usually I receive some informative responses with some veiled insult as a cherry on the top. Internet things.

As for the diploma/graduation certificate, they do not issue those. On TDSB's site it states "Diplomas are printed once per year as per Ministry of Education." I just went to both school boards and they said they don't issue neither one of them. I don't know why, not even gonna question it, its the public sector. On the mandatory application document, it doesn't state anything about a certificate and I was also trying to get that. It says "copies of Doploma and transcripts required". On the transcript, it does state when the Diploma/Certificate was issued but VanSmack, you gotta understand that I gotta give them exactly what they want, its almost biblical when dealing with government agencies, no room for mistakes, no mercy, only tears. Feel free to go through the process and report back. I'll compensate you and the beer is on me.

I'm also attending a information session. I'll report back on clarification for future applicants.

Good day sir. *tips fedora*

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:11 pm

On the transcript, it does state when the Diploma/Certificate was issued but VanSmack, you gotta understand that I gotta give them exactly what they want, its almost biblical when dealing with government agencies, no room for mistakes, no mercy, only tears. Feel free to go through the process and report back.
Considering Van is an active, serving police officer I’m pretty sure he knows the “pain” of dealing with government agencies and understands, quite well, the process.

Instead of tipping your “fedora” at him, you may want to stuff your attitude into it instead.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:11 pm
On the transcript, it does state when the Diploma/Certificate was issued but VanSmack, you gotta understand that I gotta give them exactly what they want, its almost biblical when dealing with government agencies, no room for mistakes, no mercy, only tears. Feel free to go through the process and report back.
Considering Van is an active, serving police officer I’m pretty sure he knows the “pain” of dealing with government agencies and understands, quite well, the process.

Instead of tipping your “fedora” at him, you may want to stuff your attitude into it instead.
Wut.

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am

I think a lot of services make extensive demands such as the names and phone numbers of supervisors as a way to test your ability to seek information.

If you don't know the name of the person who supervised your volunteer experience, there may be a possibility that the organization kept record of this. Do your absolute best to fill any gaps you have in your history. If you can't, I'd be ready to explain why the gap exists and what you've tried to do to seek out that information.

Also, keep in mind that during background questionnaires and investigations, the service will want to know all your user-names for social media and forums. Be sure whatever questions or comments you make that you wouldn't mind the service you're applying to reading them.

And the disclaimer I give to every post: I'm not a recruiter so this is simply advice. Take it with a grain of salt and contact your recruiter if you want the best answer.

Good luck.

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 am

Wheels28 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am
I think a lot of services make extensive demands such as the names and phone numbers of supervisors as a way to test your ability to seek information.

If you don't know the name of the person who supervised your volunteer experience, there may be a possibility that the organization kept record of this. Do your absolute best to fill any gaps you have in your history. If you can't, I'd be ready to explain why the gap exists and what you've tried to do to seek out that information.

Also, keep in mind that during background questionnaires and investigations, the service will want to know all your user-names for social media and forums. Be sure whatever questions or comments you make that you wouldn't mind the service you're applying to reading them.

And the disclaimer I give to every post: I'm not a recruiter so this is simply advice. Take it with a grain of salt and contact your recruiter if you want the best answer.

Good luck.
Thanks for the information.

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I agree that a lot of agencies make processes that are square and then try to stuff it in a round hole which is the applicant. Sure if you are 21 and never lived away from home you are laughing, 10 minutes and you're done. Its not as easy for everyone. When I was in process they wanted names of people outside of my family who knew me IN PERSON CONSISTENTLY for 10 straight years. Problem was we worked for a government agency which moves you around every 2 to 5 years so the request was impossible. They made the even more bizarre request that they did not want names they could not visit to interview. Excuse me? Maybe you missed the part about OVERSEAS for ten years. I actually told them they were free to visit my references in Germany. I had an old job that was closed down as well.

Basically you have to explain to them on your form what the issue is and hope for the best. They can make exceptions on reasonable issues. In my case I found names of people who I knew during different posts that covered the whole 10 years. They'd just have to deal with not being able to talk with them in person. I worked for the department of public safety for Pete's sake and worked with background investigations so I felt like geese, get over it. For the other job I tracked down the old bosses home number and gave it to them.

Did this hurt my application? Yes. Because at least where I am the process is not as flexible as you might think. They have check boxes they need to check before they can close the file. They can't ad-hoc each file otherwise it will become unfair to others who may not held up to the same process standards.

So in short, do your best to explain why you cold not get what they wanted. Even if it's likely obvious you have a High School if you have a University Degree.

Also if you want the job its never too much work. Depends on how much you want it.

mrtinfoilman

Postby mrtinfoilman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Madeline236 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:47 pm
I agree that a lot of agencies make processes that are square and then try to stuff it in a round hole which is the applicant. Sure if you are 21 and never lived away from home you are laughing, 10 minutes and you're done. Its not as easy for everyone. When I was in process they wanted names of people outside of my family who knew me IN PERSON CONSISTENTLY for 10 straight years. Problem was we worked for a government agency which moves you around every 2 to 5 years so the request was impossible. They made the even more bizarre request that they did not want names they could not visit to interview. Excuse me? Maybe you missed the part about OVERSEAS for ten years. I actually told them they were free to visit my references in Germany. I had an old job that was closed down as well.

Basically you have to explain to them on your form what the issue is and hope for the best. They can make exceptions on reasonable issues. In my case I found names of people who I knew during different posts that covered the whole 10 years. They'd just have to deal with not being able to talk with them in person. I worked for the department of public safety for Pete's sake and worked with background investigations so I felt like geese, get over it. For the other job I tracked down the old bosses home number and gave it to them.

Did this hurt my application? Yes. Because at least where I am the process is not as flexible as you might think. They have check boxes they need to check before they can close the file. They can't ad-hoc each file otherwise it will become unfair to others who may not held up to the same process standards.

So in short, do your best to explain why you cold not get what they wanted. Even if it's likely obvious you have a High School if you have a University Degree.

Also if you want the job its never too much work. Depends on how much you want it.
Hey! I really appreciate you taking the time writing this. I located some of them after days of "investigation". I found one of the supervisors who I worked with through an Instagram page of his dog lol. I decided to apply to volunteer organizations and just work for various groups to make the list "most recent".

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am

mrtinfoilman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Hey! I really appreciate you taking the time writing this. I located some of them after days of "investigation". I found one of the supervisors who I worked with through an Instagram page of his dog lol. I decided to apply to volunteer organizations and just work for various groups to make the list "most recent".
And just showed you are serious working for it and have some investigative skills. Both positives. Good luck.