CSC vs CBSA

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Gordy
Rookie Member

CSC vs CBSA

Postby Gordy » Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Pros and Cons of each of these 2 organisations according to you ? On all the aspects possible.

I'm curious, it will be interesting :)
Quebec Applicant (CSC officer since 2013)

CBSA Process :

2019-02-07: Applied
2019-02-25: OTEE (PASSED)
2019-04-25: INTERVIEW (FAILED)

Gordy
Rookie Member

Re: CSC vs CBSA

Postby Gordy » Fri May 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Nobody has opinions about it ?
Quebec Applicant (CSC officer since 2013)

CBSA Process :

2019-02-07: Applied
2019-02-25: OTEE (PASSED)
2019-04-25: INTERVIEW (FAILED)

Hopeful-1
Sage Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Gordy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:14 pm
For me the jobs are just about dead even with the exception of CSC now paying a small weekly dividend of $400 during training over the CBSA $125, giving it a plus. On the other hand in my opinion, strictly opinion, CSC would be slightly more dangerous and harder on ones mental health.

Other than that, depending on what one is looking for, there are more ports of entry than there are prisons. Then again your more likely to be closer to civilization with CSC. Soooooo.......it’s subjective person to person.

Also there’s the choice of working day to day with the public vs prisoners. Would come down to personal choice.

Just my thoughts......counter points???
Last edited by Hopeful-1 on Fri May 17, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during UoF training

Hopeful-1
Sage Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:21 pm

For conversations sake, I follow a couple different threads, and the conclusion I’ve come to is more people attempt to transfer from CSC to CBSA than vise versa. These threads are only a fraction of applicants though so more likely the numbers are irrelevant to what the true numbers would be.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during UoF training

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Gordy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:14 pm
I applied for both CBSA and CSC, I much prefer the CBSA. It's hard to explain some exact reasons but for discussion sake, I'll give it a shot.

The day-to-day of correctional officers seems unenjoyable, the only appealing factor is that the pay and pension is alright, I'd be hoping for a great group of guys to work with as well. What I mean by day-to-day is constantly babysitting the worst group of assholes that Canada has to offer. Unlike our Southern neighbors, Canada seldom incarcerates people. You have to be a real bad guy to get locked up in Canada. These assholes are always going to be causing trouble through drug abuse, self-harm, fighting, and refusing to follow simple orders like locking up and count. I've toured both Federal and Provincial institutions and I've seen the shit these poor correctional officers go through. If the pay was higher, then it would be more attractive.

It's even gotten to the point where CSC is going to start handing out needles for drug use? Like, seriously? corrections is where programs are supposed to be available for people to get clean, seems kinda counter-intuitive to me, almost encourages drug use. Drugs are already illegal outside of the Penn, they're extremely illegal to smuggle into the Penn. I understand that these people will likely shoot up anyways and that it's better to at least use clean needles. The whole opioid crisis is a tragedy and I hope I get to see it end in my lifetime. ANYWAYS, I got off track! here's a source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... rug-users/

In comparison, CBSA seems pretty cozy with a multitude of options like mailing centers, cargo, land-border crossings, and international airports, maybe even some nice international work. I believe the pay is the same/similar to CSC as well. No need to be locked up in a cage with aggressive criminals all day. Although there is a huge crisis with illegal gun smuggling from the USA to Canada, I can't imagine running into too many bad guys at the border. Most average citizens are pretty respectful of CBSA officers as well since they have so many authoritative options.

I may get a lot of criticism for this post but oh well, you wanted discussion so you got it!

looking4anewjob
Rookie Member

Postby looking4anewjob » Wed May 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Well the pensions are different to start.

CSC’s Operational service pension will allow you to retire with 50% after 25 years of service without having a penalty because you’re not 55 years old, or maybe 60 now with the pension changes for those hired 2013 and after.

CBSA’s pension keeps most people working until they are at least 55, or maybe 60 now regardless of how young you were when you started.

Another big difference is the student BSO factor. I guess only for airports now, but what other law enforcement agency hires post secondary aged aged students and pays them $15 an hour to do the exact same job that a top pay BSO making $42 +an hour is doing. After they complete a 2 or 3 week crash course on customs and immigration 101.

Similarities for new applicants are that they will probably be hired for the Prairies region in either department. How many new applicants are getting hired in Kingston area for CSC? How many new applicants are getting hired at Windsor tunnel for CBSA?
Probably more along the lines of Grande Cache, Drumheller and Edmonton institution; or Emerson, Coutts, Regway or Calgary airport.

The reality of CSC is people (inmates) die. They overdose, self harm and kill each other. If you want to find drugs, work an institution over a port of entry.

At CBSA you will be more preoccupied with issuing work permits and study permits and landing new immigrants. At Toronto airport you will probably find people who have swallowed drugs from Caribbean destinations. At a federal pen you will find people who have swallowed drugs as they return from remand centres.
At most land borders you will find people trying to smuggle firearms into Canada. In penitentiaries you will find people with jail made weapons.

I think for new people looking to get in and transfer to where they want to live CSC might be easier. On their Human Resources system an officer can put in for a deployment request to wherever they’d like to go and the only person who knows is the institutional head on the other end. Cbsa’s ESS system has no such feature. You would have to approach another work location to see if they want a transfer, than go to your boss (chief or director) to see if they’ll approve of letting you go.

The only other thing that is different is the way the machines are coming into all airports. Apps that let you declare before you hit the border.
Are there any machines that physically check on inmates?