2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

M2S1997
Rookie Member

Re: 2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Postby M2S1997 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:13 pm
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone from Edmonton received a job offer or security clearance results yet for Spring/Summer 2019?

Thanks in advance.
I'm from Calgary... so close. I had my security clearance interview in February (still haven't received clearance), and my CAT III 2 weeks ago and nothing since then. But I did receive an email 2 weeks ago saying that if I pass my clearance, medical, and "as vacancies arise" I may be offered employment. Just a waiting game. One of the Border Officer's who interviewed me said no news is good news. Hope that's true lol
I applied in Edmonton as well, still waiting for my security clearance. They said it's usually within 30-60 days but mines been over 60 days tho...

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:08 pm

M2S1997 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:13 pm
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone from Edmonton received a job offer or security clearance results yet for Spring/Summer 2019?

Thanks in advance.
I'm from Calgary... so close. I had my security clearance interview in February (still haven't received clearance), and my CAT III 2 weeks ago and nothing since then. But I did receive an email 2 weeks ago saying that if I pass my clearance, medical, and "as vacancies arise" I may be offered employment. Just a waiting game. One of the Border Officer's who interviewed me said no news is good news. Hope that's true lol
I applied in Edmonton as well, still waiting for my security clearance. They said it's usually within 30-60 days but mines been over 60 days tho...
I'm exactly in the same boat. Had my security clearance interview on Jan 18. Cat III at the beginning of January, and also got that same email (@RugerBlue26). Good to hear that no news is good news. Thank you for the reply and good luck guys!

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:40 pm

These next couple weeks are going to be full of anticipation 88) For everyone wondering, last year mid-April was when you found out if you were deckined a position for the summer (all positions filled). I believe training was first week of May.

Good luck too all there's still time!

OfficerBuffalo
Rookie Member

Postby OfficerBuffalo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 am

StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:40 pm
These next couple weeks are going to be full of anticipation 88) For everyone wondering, last year mid-April was when you found out if you were deckined a position for the summer (all positions filled). I believe training was first week of May.

A lot of conflicting information.. Some people say no news is good news and here you are saying that should we be declined a position we'll hear about it mid-April..

I have been waiting for my clearance since December! My CAT III Medical Exam was passed and I even got time to do my non restricted and restricted firearms course while waiting.. If everyone thinks they're province/work location is taking long well they havent applied to la province du Québec!
SBSO CBSA YUL Applicant Québec

Applied: Oct. 26/18
[PASS] OTEE: Nov. 15/18
[PASS] Interview: Dec. 12/18
[PASS] Medical Exam (CAT III): Dec. 19/18
[TBD] Security Interview/Clearance : Dec. 19/18
[PASS] CFSC: Feb. 8/19
[PASS] CRFSC: Feb. 27/19

OfficerBuffalo
Rookie Member

Postby OfficerBuffalo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 am

Would anyone have information about location transfers and if they do exist. I live in Montréal but got accepted to Universities in Ottawa and Toronto.. Im wondering if it was at all possible to change locations after working during the summer?

If anyone has info let me know!
SBSO CBSA YUL Applicant Québec

Applied: Oct. 26/18
[PASS] OTEE: Nov. 15/18
[PASS] Interview: Dec. 12/18
[PASS] Medical Exam (CAT III): Dec. 19/18
[TBD] Security Interview/Clearance : Dec. 19/18
[PASS] CFSC: Feb. 8/19
[PASS] CRFSC: Feb. 27/19

SSA2chainz
Rookie Member

Postby SSA2chainz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:10 am

StudentAnon wrote:

I applied in Vancouver and I have been waiting for my clearance since January. I'd really like to know if I get my clearance or not, so I can start planning activities to do this summer. Although, it will be really fun summer if I get a job offer. All the waiting is making me anxious, and I am starting to kinda doubt that I'll get the job. BUT! patience is a virtue, we have about 4-5 weeks to see where this application will go. :D :D :D

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 am

OfficerBuffalo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 am
StudentAnon wrote:

A lot of conflicting information... Some people say no news is good news and here you are saying that should we be declined a position we'll hear about it mid-April...

I have been waiting for my clearance since December! My CAT III Medical Exam was passed and I even got time to do my nonrestricted and restricted firearms course while waiting... If everyone thinks they're province/work location is taking long well they haven't applied to la province du Québec!
I just got an email today asking to confirm or decline whether or not I was still interested in participating in employment this summer. As they said they were "starting the procedure for summer students". I am hoping this means something.. although I haven't gotten my clearance yet either.
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 pm

No it is not conflicting information. No news is good news as it means your candidacy is still in consideration for a position in the summer. However job offer news is better than no news. You have to remember that there is a finite amount of student positions each summer to be filled and it is in the organization's best interest to keep an active pool of qualified applicants incase vacancies arise. Mid-April is usually the time they have filled the majority of placements and organized training for the summer so if you haven't heard back for a job offer or to complete any steps (other than medical, or security clearance) by then, the chances of a summer job decrease significantly. Until they tell you that all positions are filled for the summer and to reapply for next year, it means you can still be extended a job offer. That said there is still a few weeks left and I wouldn't be surprised to see the process speed up so keep your fingers crossed and refresh your emails! Also don't be shy to email recruitment to make sure your file is in order and not missing anything for you to submit.

kaywest2
Rookie Member

Postby kaywest2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how the CDT is for students and what it entails. I was wondering if you know whats the passing rate. Thanks

bluestripes93
Rookie Member

Postby bluestripes93 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 pm

SBSO’s are issued Batons, OC spray and handcuffs. CDT training teaches how to use those items in accordance with national use of force framework, departmental policy and positional policy. You are also taught various self defence and verbal judo tactics.

kaywest2
Rookie Member

Postby kaywest2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 am

What is the passing rate for CDT

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm

I got an email this morning asking for some more information about me, and I was told to phone into a supervisor and book a day to come in a get my measurements for a uniform. Anyone else have this? I still haven't been security cleared or had my medical cleared.
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

Singh1996
Rookie Member

Postby Singh1996 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:34 pm

I received an invitation to training finally for Toronto YYZ. How hard is the 5 week training? they said if we pass the 5 week training then we are contracted to work for the summer but conditional depending on us passing the training. Anyone else invited to training in toronto yet next month?

M2S1997
Rookie Member

Postby M2S1997 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:56 am

I got an email today as well as there were gaps in my employment history. Still waiting for my security clearance to be cleared.
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm
I got an email this morning asking for some more information about me, and I was told to phone into a supervisor and book a day to come in a get my measurements for a uniform. Anyone else have this? I still haven't been security cleared or had my medical cleared.

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 pm

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm
Did you get an offer of conditional employment?

I had my uniform measurements done yesterday, but first I got my conditional employment offer first. I'm from Edmonton.