2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Re: 2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Postby thomasr15 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Does anyone know how the 5 weeks of training looks like? What are the hours? Days? How much of it is classroom vs. hands on? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

spoon4
Rookie Member

Postby spoon4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am

Last edited by spoon4 on Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:11 pm

spoon4 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am
For those of you that are starting training today as well, good luck! We made it!! :D
I'm starting May 1st. Super excited! Good luck!!!

spoon4
Rookie Member

Postby spoon4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:37 pm

thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:11 pm
spoon4 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am
For those of you that are starting training today as well, good luck! We made it!! :D
I'm starting May 1st. Super excited! Good luck!!!
Last edited by spoon4 on Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chimesandlimes
Rookie Member

Postby chimesandlimes » Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations to everyone who made it. I am really interested in this position and planning to apply for this position for next summer. So just wanted learn about the different components and exams as well as how should I go about preparing for them. Do I need any kind of certifications before I apply and what things should I keep i mind while applying for this position

Also, I am software engineering major, so would that put me in a disadvantage? How can I stand out and have an equal chance as others?

Looking forward for the response.

Thanks in advance. Have a great day! :D

Bri_1234
Rookie Member

Postby Bri_1234 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:45 am

Hey guys! I completed my integrity interview only a few weeks ago and have not received my security clearance yet. I know trainings have already started and what not but I was wondering if anyone knows if they are still filling positions for the GTA or have they all been filled?

Excite_Life4
Rookie Member

Postby Excite_Life4 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 pm

chimesandlimes wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm
Hello Everyone,

Congratulations to everyone who made it. I am really interested in this position and planning to apply for this position for next summer. So just wanted learn about the different components and exams as well as how should I go about preparing for them. Do I need any kind of certifications before I apply and what things should I keep i mind while applying for this position

Also, I am software engineering major, so would that put me in a disadvantage? How can I stand out and have an equal chance as others?

Hi,

Thank you and good luck to you in the application process! Honestly, there is nothing really to "prepare" you for the process per se. Just a couple things to keep in mind:
-you need to have a lot of patience (expect the wait to hear back to drive you crazy at times :D)
-you do need to spend quite a bit of time outside of school to go through the individual steps, so make sure you stay on top of your schooling
-definitely have a plan B when it comes to a summer job in case it doesn't work out
-the process itself will take upwards of 6 months

As for the process itself, the steps consist of:
1. Application on the SBSO website
2. OTEE (online test component - it wasn't too hard but tedious, consists of general basic knowledge that you can't really study for. If you are able to pace yourself well normally during tests/exams you should do fairly well)
3. Security background check/fingerprints
4. Interview (very easy, again you can't prepare for it but as a student they ask questions that are student-related so no worries)
5. Security Interview (again it just consists of very basic questions)
6. Medical (very basic, you're assessed on an individual basis so no comparisons here)
7. Invitation to Training (where Control and Defensive Tactics must be passed in order to continue onto the actual summer placement - haven't gone through it yet, but from what I hear, don't have to be fit like an athlete, but be at least decently in shape esp. cardio)

According to CBSA, they favour those who are studying law enforcement related fields, however I'm not exactly sure how much that applies, as I am studying in a non-law enforcement field and have made it to the training stage. Good luck :)

chimesandlimes
Rookie Member

Postby chimesandlimes » Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Excite_Life4 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 pm
chimesandlimes wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Hi,

Thank you and good luck to you in the application process! Honestly, there is nothing really to "prepare" you for the process per se. Just a couple things to keep in mind:
-you need to have a lot of patience (expect the wait to hear back to drive you crazy at times :D)
-you do need to spend quite a bit of time outside of school to go through the individual steps, so make sure you stay on top of your schooling
-definitely have a plan B when it comes to a summer job in case it doesn't work out

2. OTEE (online test component - it wasn't too hard but tedious, consists of general basic knowledge that you can't really study for. If you are able to pace yourself well normally during tests/exams you should do fairly well)
4. Interview (very easy, again you can't prepare for it but as a student they ask questions that are student-related so no worries)
6. Medical (very basic, you're assessed on an individual basis so no comparisons here)
7. Invitation to Training (where Control and Defensive Tactics must be passed in order to continue onto the actual summer placement - haven't gone through it yet, but from what I hear, don't have to be fit like an athlete, but be at least decently in shape esp. cardio)

According to CBSA, they favour those who are studying law enforcement related fields, however I'm not exactly sure how much that applies, as I am studying in a non-law enforcement field and have made it to the training stage. Good luck :)

Thank you so much for the response. Good luck for the training :D

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:36 pm

How's training going/looking for everyone?! I start on Monday, and its 0800-1600 Monday-Friday for 3 weeks and 1 week is CDT. So excited to start, and just wanted to see how everyone else was doing with theirs :)
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

Excite_Life4
Rookie Member

Postby Excite_Life4 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:14 pm

chimesandlimes wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm
Excite_Life4 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 pm
chimesandlimes wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Hi,

Thank you so much for the response. Good luck for the training :D
No problem. And thank you :D

spoon4
Rookie Member

Postby spoon4 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 pm

G4lahad
Rookie Member

Postby G4lahad » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 am

CBSA SBSO Applicant
Applied - 19 August 2019