2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

bluestripes93
Rookie Member

Re: 2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Postby bluestripes93 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:40 am

That happened to me when I was unsuccessful in 2017. Test, interview and then mesaurements before finding out I didn’t pass the interview.

This year was different, I was scheduled to do the interview before I got the test results back and the same for security.

We were told there would be no more communication via email in pacific, that all offers would come verbally first. (Not that it stops me from checking)

I have done all of those things, other areas have mention. Tried on all my uniforms, Raic, CBSA Id and boot fitting. All sitting in a box waiting for my clearance .

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:48 am

bluestripes93 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:40 am
That happened to me when I was unsuccessful in 2017. Test, interview and then mesaurements before finding out I didn’t pass the interview.

This year was different, I was scheduled to do the interview before I got the test results back and the same for security.

We were told there would be no more communication via email in pacific, that all offers would come verbally first. (Not that it stops me from checking)

I have done all of those things, other areas have mention. Tried on all my uniforms, Raic, CBSA Id and boot fitting. All sitting in a box waiting for my clearance .
Damn. I really hope you get it :) I got my interview before I knew that I passed my OTEE as well. And I think I was scheduled for my security clearance after I knew I passed my OTEE. I'm getting anxious just waiting now because I don't have my security clearance, but I got my measurements and photo ID. So it's a bit of good news bad news. I hope things pop up next week.
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

namsy
Rookie Member

Postby namsy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:37 pm

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:48 am
bluestripes93 wrote:

Damn. I really hope you get it :) I got my interview before I knew that I passed my OTEE as well. And I think I was scheduled for my security clearance after I knew I passed my OTEE. I'm getting anxious just waiting now because I don't have my security clearance, but I got my measurements and photo ID. So it's a bit of good news bad news. I hope things pop up next week.
I had it a bit weird too when I went for my first interview right after the OTEE, they had me and another candidate get our measurements taken right after the interview, I was confused because I still had my security interview to do and also my medical. But I still have not heard back regarding my security clearance and the last time I heard back was about passing my medical. I told them during my interview I had a speeding ticket pending my court date on April 3, do u guys think they were waiting to see the results for that? Also although I had my measurements taken, I didn't get a picture taken, should that be a concern?
SBSO:
Applied: Sept 11, 2018
OTEE: Oct 17, 2018 [PASSED, Nov 22, 2018]
Interview: Dec 11, 2018 [PASSED, Dec 12, 2018]
Security: Jan 12, 2019 [PASSED, April 10, 2019]
Medical: Feb 14, 2019 [PASSED, Apr 2, 2019]

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:39 pm

thomasr15 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:27 am
StudentAnon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 am
officervf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Wow so you got a verbal offer and you weren’t selected? That’s my fear is that the have to filter everyone after the medical and security clearance. I’m all clear. Just need an offer :(
Yeah it really sucked at the time because I had to scramble to lineup another summer job last minute but luckily I was able to find something good. It sucks for students because the large majority have no experience with the government hiring process and think that it's straight forward like the private sector where you pass an interview and you get the job. The reality is that until the letter of offer is signed there is no guarantee you have a job. Security clearance, medical exams, etc are only "conditions of employment" meaning that you can only be offered an employment if you meet them. Best thing to do is always keep applying for other summer jobs until you get that LoO in your hands. I believe the end of next week is the deadline for fswep offers to go out, not sure if it applies to the CBSA tho.
Reading all of this, my process went a bit differently. I got an email stating to contact them and then talked on the phone, accepted a conditional offer, then got an email congratulating on accepting a position at the office I applied to. I was told some papers will be sent my way in 2 to 3 weeks since they're still figuring out the training dates in May. I went in, got measurements for my uniform, and already got boots from them. I also had my picture taken for my ID. Is this pretty official that I got the job or not until I got those papers like you said? Thanks.
It sounds like they want to issue you a position but nothing is official until you sign a letter of offer.

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:45 pm

bluestripes93 wrote:

Wow that sounds worse than what happened to me. I can't imagine trying on the uniform only to find out later you don't get the job.. From what I've read on here and Reddit it seems like their goal is to get as many steps completed and create a pool of potentially hire-able students to pick from as clearances trickle in. Which is understandable since the student process is forced to be done in a short period of time relative to the full-time FB/BSO process that takes an average of 2 years. It sounds like you will probably get it this year tho if you've gotten boots and RAIC completed.

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:58 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:39 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:27 am
StudentAnon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 am

Yeah it really sucked at the time because I had to scramble to lineup another summer job last minute but luckily I was able to find something good. It sucks for students because the large majority have no experience with the government hiring process and think that it's straight forward like the private sector where you pass an interview and you get the job. The reality is that until the letter of offer is signed there is no guarantee you have a job. Security clearance, medical exams, etc are only "conditions of employment" meaning that you can only be offered an employment if you meet them. Best thing to do is always keep applying for other summer jobs until you get that LoO in your hands. I believe the end of next week is the deadline for fswep offers to go out, not sure if it applies to the CBSA tho.
Reading all of this, my process went a bit differently. I got an email stating to contact them and then talked on the phone, accepted a conditional offer, then got an email congratulating on accepting a position at the office I applied to. I was told some papers will be sent my way in 2 to 3 weeks since they're still figuring out the training dates in May. I went in, got measurements for my uniform, and already got boots from them. I also had my picture taken for my ID. Is this pretty official that I got the job or not until I got those papers like you said? Thanks.
It sounds like they want to issue you a position but nothing is official until you sign a letter of offer.
Okay, thanks!

mitt1989
Rookie Member

Postby mitt1989 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:00 pm

I have received both my security clearance, my medical clearance and I was fitted for my uniforms in December during my first in-person interview. I have yet to receive an official letter of offer and I am waiting anxiously to hear from them. Should I expect to hear from them within the next week? And if I don't end up receiving an offer, will they contact me saying I have not been selected and give me an opportunity to follow up and find out where I can improve? Thanks!

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm

New student rates of pay announced today on the Treasury Board site with significant increases to each step! On a side note cheers to another week of refreshing emails like an idiot. :D

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... s-pay.html
mitt1989 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:00 pm
I have received both my security clearance, my medical clearance and I was fitted for my uniforms in December during my first in-person interview. I have yet to receive an official letter of offer and I am waiting anxiously to hear from them. Should I expect to hear from them within the next week? And if I don't end up receiving an offer, will they contact me saying I have not been selected and give me an opportunity to follow up and find out where I can improve? Thanks!
Yes they will probably send out an email around May if you haven't been selected, unfortunately they can't provide any specific feedback.. I suspect these newly announced pay rates may have been what has been holding back on issuing LoOs so this week should be interesting..

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm
New student rates of pay announced today on the Treasury Board site with significant increases to each step! On a side note cheers to another week of refreshing emails like an idiot. :D

mitt1989 wrote:
Yes they will probably send out an email around May if you haven't been selected, unfortunately they can't provide any specific feedback.. I suspect these newly announced pay rates may have been what has been holding back on issuing LoOs so this week should be interesting..
Hahah glad I am not the only one who keeps refreshing their emails. I swear I look back at it every 5 minutes praying something comes up
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

mitt1989
Rookie Member

Postby mitt1989 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

StudentAnon wrote:

mitt1989 wrote:

I noticed that and figured that could have something to do with it! Its unfortunate that they don't give you much feedback but that's alright. Do you have any suggestions on what to do if you're not selected? I don't want to start being negative since their is still a few weeks until the final offers go out but I want to use this as a learning experience and better prepare myself for the future.

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 pm

mitt1989 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm
StudentAnon wrote:

mitt1989 wrote:

I noticed that and figured that could have something to do with it! Its unfortunate that they don't give you much feedback but that's alright. Do you have any suggestions on what to do if you're not selected? I don't want to start being negative since their is still a few weeks until the final offers go out but I want to use this as a learning experience and better prepare myself for the future.
Not really much you can do. Best thing is to just reapply for next year because you will already have your fingerprints done and your security clearance might go faster if you've already been through it. I've read on here and heard from others that sometimes they will extend an offer for a clerk position if you don't make it through the sbso process. Another thing a recruiter told me is that sometimes they might even pull you from the pool for a fall/winter contract if there's enough vacancies. For now all we can do is stay optimistic! 88)
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm
StudentAnon wrote:

mitt1989 wrote:
Hahah glad I am not the only one who keeps refreshing their emails. I swear I look back at it every 5 minutes praying something comes up
Same here even though I have my notifications on loud ahaha

xlysx
Rookie Member

Postby xlysx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Hey guys, YYZ applicant here. Got my offer letter and my uniform already. But i did see that they updated the student pay for May 2019. On my letter it still stated that ill have $X amount per hour. But i checked the updated one and its significantly higher. Do you guys think they will change my pay rate? Or will i just be stuck on whatever they gave me on my offer letter? Thank you!

spoon4
Rookie Member

Postby spoon4 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 pm

xlysx wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm
Hey guys, YYZ applicant here. Got my offer letter and my uniform already. But i did see that they updated the student pay for May 2019. On my letter it still stated that ill have $X amount per hour. But i checked the updated one and its significantly higher. Do you guys think they will change my pay rate? Or will i just be stuck on whatever they gave me on my offer letter? Thank you!
Did you sign the LOO already?

officervf
Rookie Member

Postby officervf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm

xlysx wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm
When did you get your medical cleared? Curious to know your timeline compared to mine. Haven’t heard anything and I’m also a YYZ applicant. My medical was on the 27th and I’m cleared for everything.
SBSO Candidate GTA
OTEE (Passed): December 13th, 2018
Interview (Passed): January 15th, 2019
Security Clearance Interview (Granted on March 8th, 2019): March 1st, 2019
Medical (Granted on April 2nd, 2019): March 27, 2019

namsy
Rookie Member

Postby namsy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm

officervf wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm
[quote=xlysx post_id=836544 time=<a href="tel:1554757533">1554757533</a> user_id=43787]
When did you get your medical cleared? Curious to know your timeline compared to mine. Haven’t heard anything and I’m also a YYZ applicant. My medical was on the 27th and I’m cleared for everything.
[/quote]

Hey, I’m also curious because I'm also a YYZ applicant but haven’t heard back about my security clearance. Although all my other results came back really quick.
SBSO:
Applied: Sept 11, 2018
OTEE: Oct 17, 2018 [PASSED, Nov 22, 2018]
Interview: Dec 11, 2018 [PASSED, Dec 12, 2018]
Security: Jan 12, 2019 [PASSED, April 10, 2019]
Medical: Feb 14, 2019 [PASSED, Apr 2, 2019]