2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Re: 2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Postby RugerBlue26 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm

thomasr15 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 pm
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm
I got an email this morning asking for some more information about me, and I was told to phone into a supervisor and book a day to come in a get my measurements for a uniform. Anyone else have this? I still haven't been security cleared or had my medical cleared.
Did you get an offer of conditional employment?

I had my uniform measurements done yesterday, but first I got my conditional employment offer first. I'm from Edmonton.
No I haven't!! I am patiently waiting lol. I'm in Calgary. I still haven't gotten confirmation on if I passed my medical or security clearance. I got an email last week asking if I could confirm or decline if I was still interested in working for the CBSA this summer. Then yesterday I got that email asking for some more information and for me to call in to get measured, which I actually just got back from now. She measured me and took my photo which would be used for my ID, so I think things are looking good, but still no offer, and no clearance :/
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:51 pm

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm
I got an email this morning asking for some more information about me, and I was told to phone into a supervisor and book a day to come in a get my measurements for a uniform. Anyone else have this? I still haven't been security cleared or had my medical cleared.

I had my uniform measurements done yesterday, but first I got my conditional employment offer first. I'm from Edmonton.
No I haven't!! I am patiently waiting lol. I'm in Calgary. I still haven't gotten confirmation on if I passed my medical or security clearance. I got an email last week asking if I could confirm or decline if I was still interested in working for the CBSA this summer. Then yesterday I got that email asking for some more information and for me to call in to get measured, which I actually just got back from now. She measured me and took my photo which would be used for my ID, so I think things are looking good, but still no offer, and no clearance :/

That's good!! If you went in for uniform measurements and they talked to you if you're interested, you should be good as long as you get your security clearance and medical.

Also, I know a lot of people here say that they got a notice about getting their clearance, but I did not. They just gave me an offer which meant I got my clearance in. I think it depends on where you're located and who your recruiter is on those notifications.

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 pm

thomasr15 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:51 pm
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
thomasr15 wrote:

That's good!! If you went in for uniform measurements and they talked to you if you're interested, you should be good as long as you get your security clearance and medical.

Also, I know a lot of people here say that they got a notice about getting their clearance, but I did not. They just gave me an offer which meant I got my clearance in. I think it depends on where you're located and who your recruiter is on those notifications.

Thanks, your comment just reassured me lol. I've been killing myself, refreshing my email all the time just waiting for something to come in. Especially since I know it's crunch time and they need to start hiring and finalizing everything. Just trying the vests on yesterday during measurements got me so excited. I'm not worried about passing my security and medical, it's just the long wait and anticipation. When did you get your offer? And when did you do your security and medical?
SBSO PRA

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Saw this on a Reddit thread by someone who was familiar with fswep
"Pretty the last day for a FSWEP letter of offer is either April 12 or 15."
I've also been refreshing my email like a madman hoping to see the LOO pop up! We've still got about two weeks to go! 88) Also reading old threads on here it seems that it's possible in some cases to be able to start the training before your clearance is finished but you can't work without the clearance..

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:50 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm
I've also been refreshing my email like a madman hoping to see the LOO pop up! We've still got about two weeks to go! 88) Also reading old threads on here it seems that it's possible in some cases to be able to start the training before your clearance is finished but you can't work without the clearance..
What Reddit thread is it?? And yeah I saw too you could be offered conditional employment and start training without having security clearance. I have literally been looking at my email every 2 minutes waiting for some notification to pop up. These next 2 weeks are going to be the death of me
SBSO PRA

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 pm

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:50 pm
StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm
What Reddit thread is it?? And yeah I saw too you could be offered conditional employment and start training without having security clearance. I have literally been looking at my email every 2 minutes waiting for some notification to pop up. These next 2 weeks are going to be the death of me
It was in /r/Canadapublicservants

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 pm

This might be a stupid question but student training (5 weeks including CDT) as all done at your specific port right? Or is it at rigaud?

spoon4
Rookie Member

Postby spoon4 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 pm
This might be a stupid question but student training (5 weeks including CDT) as all done at your specific port right? Or is it at rigaud?
From what I have been told, it’s a mix of classroom training at a location close to your port (sometimes the actual port) and CDT is at a location that can hold it. For BC, classroom training is usual in Downtown Vancouver and CDT is at the CBSA college (Pacific) in Chilliwack. For reference, our CBSA college is about a one hour and 20 minute drive from Vancouver International Airport. I’d search to see if your province has its own CBSA College, because I’m not sure if all provinces work this way.

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Last edited by StudentAnon on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:50 pm

spoon4 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm
StudentAnon wrote:
From what I have been told, it’s a mix of classroom training at a location close to your port (sometimes the actual port) and CDT is at a location that can hold it. For BC, classroom training is usual in Downtown Vancouver and CDT is at the CBSA college (Pacific) in Chilliwack. For reference, our CBSA college is about a one hour and 20 minute drive from Vancouver International Airport. I’d search to see if your province has its own CBSA College, because I’m not sure if all provinces work this way.
Ahh okay in that case it looks like if everything continues goes well with my file the college is not that far. The CDT is only during the day correct? No requirement to stay there overnight? Thanks!

spoon4
Rookie Member

Postby spoon4 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:58 am

StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:50 pm
spoon4 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm
StudentAnon wrote:
Ahh okay in that case it looks like if everything continues goes well with my file the college is not that far. The CDT is only during the day correct? No requirement to stay there overnight? Thanks!
Yep, just Monday-Friday, 8-4! I do know that some people get hotel rooms nearby just to avoid the long drive though!

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:27 am

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 pm
Thanks, your comment just reassured me lol. I've been killing myself, refreshing my email all the time just waiting for something to come in. Especially since I know it's crunch time and they need to start hiring and finalizing everything. Just trying the vests on yesterday during measurements got me so excited. I'm not worried about passing my security and medical, it's just the long wait and anticipation. When did you get your offer? And when did you do your security and medical?
I got my offer March 21. Did my security clearance and medical late January. I think it was the 18th for clearance interview.

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:46 am

thomasr15 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:27 am
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 pm
I got my offer March 21. Did my security clearance and medical late January. I think it was the 18th for clearance interview.
That's a pretty good timeline! I had my security interview 2nd week of Feb and my medical first week of March. Were you given anymore additional information as to when training and things begin for you, or just an offer for cond. employment?
SBSO PRA

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 am

RugerBlue26 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:46 am

That's a pretty good timeline! I had my security interview 2nd week of Feb and my medical first week of March. Were you given anymore additional information as to when training and things begin for you, or just an offer for cond. employment?
All I was told is beginning of May and that they're still figuring things out. Finalizing everything (where it's going to be, when it'll start, etc.).

CanadianRedacted
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianRedacted » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Hey guys!

Just wanna introduce myself.

I'm a prairie region applicant. I did my interview for the CBSA (Not the student posting) in December and quickly found out I failed my interview. Got 7/9 on the competencies so I know what to fix for the next process!

I ended up deciding to go back to college since the 2-year diploma I had wasn't worth very much in terms of backup plans while I wait for a LEO career.

So I figured since I was going back to school I should apply for the SBSO! This seems like an amazing opportunity! looking forward to chatting with all my fellow applicants. My interview is booked for January 16! Does anybody know if the SBSO interview is similar to the style of the CBSA?
If you pass the SBSO process you are able to 'fast track' and potentially skip the interview for a permanent position.