CBSA to RCMP

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

NYTO
Rookie Member

CBSA to RCMP

Postby NYTO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:02 am

Hey everyone,

I was hoping for a little advice from this with a different point of view, and anyone who has made the transition and a friend suggested I post here.

I'm currently a Border Services Officer for the CBSA and have been offered a troop date with the RCMP. I was wondering if making the jump is worth it. I've come up with a list of PROS and CONS:

PRO:
-I've always wanted to be a member of the RCMP
-More specialized units to get into
-More possible job satisfaction

CON:
-Same pay basically, but I would take a paycut as I would start from the bottom
-More dangerous
-Loss of seniority
-The big one that I would have to most likely relocate from my current spot which is in my hometown

Thanks for the input!

John014
King Poobah

Re: CBSA to RCMP

Postby John014 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:14 am

100% without a doubt the best decision I ever made. There is not a single thought that I ever made the wrong decision. Also the only shit pay you will be getting will be in Depot. Once out (as long as you are on LWOP throughout Depot) you will be making the RCMP salary closest to your current salary.

We also will be getting a union and our pay should go up. Once you jump ship and spend at least a week in this job you will realize why there should not be parity between the two.

Feel free to PM me.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:24 pm

If you're single and no kids, go...run and never look back! I don't even know why you're debating it. If I didn't have kids and a wife to consider, not to mention a mortgage and bills, I'd be joining you. Be happy and excited. You're joining a real law enforcement agency.

NYTO
Rookie Member

Postby NYTO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah to be honest the only thing holding me back is the relocating having 0 idea of where I'd end up. I'd rather be a RCMP officer, and I have no kids or anything but I guess it's not easy to leave somewhere you're comfortable even if you're not totally satisfied.

John014
King Poobah

Postby John014 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:41 am

NYTO wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah to be honest the only thing holding me back is the relocating having 0 idea of where I'd end up. I'd rather be a RCMP officer, and I have no kids or anything but I guess it's not easy to leave somewhere you're comfortable even if you're not totally satisfied.
Obviously you know I responded to your PM.
But for those federal employees wanting to make the change I would say do it.

You need to apply for LWOP which (CBSA at least) will allow you 18 months (1- 6 month and 1-12 month). This essentially allows you to keep your current job in case you apply to RCMP and something bad happens ie: broken bones at depot, arrive at detachment and realize you are not cut out for the job etc..

Being on LWOP while in Depot also allows you to apply to start working day one at the RCMP salary rate nearest your current salary rate.

As for your pension it takes about two or so years to have it ported over. Your pension will NOT be counted as years in the force and you will still need to complete 25 years as a real police officer to retire without penalty. Your pension will though transfer and be pensionable service which will count toward the amount you get when you retire.
Example: 6.5 years with CBSA followed by 25 with RCMP equals 31.5 years of service or 63% of your salary.

Your time with CBSA will also count toward your vacation leave per year which will give you more days off.

Also an added bonus, other than actually being a Police Officer which is way more fun than every other officer in the "peace officer" category, is double time instead of CBSA's 1.75 time for OT. Adds up pretty quick for a 12 hour OT shift.

If you are lucky enough to get posted to the LMD you will be inundated with OT opportunities that you can either cash in on or ignore. No municipal police force or CBSA POE will be able to provide the amount of OT opportunities as the RCMP due to our nature of work.

Police Officer

Stripes

Postby Stripes » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am

John014 wrote:
NYTO wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

Obviously you know I responded to your PM.
But for those federal employees wanting to make the change I would say do it.

You need to apply for LWOP which (CBSA at least) will allow you 18 months (1- 6 month and 1-12 month). This essentially allows you to keep your current job in case you apply to RCMP and something bad happens ie: broken bones at depot, arrive at detachment and realize you are not cut out for the job etc..

Being on LWOP while in Depot also allows you to apply to start working day one at the RCMP salary rate nearest your current salary rate.

As for your pension it takes about two or so years to have it ported over. Your pension will NOT be counted as years in the force and you will still need to complete 25 years as a real police officer to retire without penalty. Your pension will though transfer and be pensionable service which will count toward the amount you get when you retire.
Example: 6.5 years with CBSA followed by 25 with RCMP equals 31.5 years of service or 63% of your salary.

Your time with CBSA will also count toward your vacation leave per year which will give you more days off.
Thank you for this. I’d heard bits and pieces of the “keep your salary rate” thing around, but never a solid explanation, so this is awesome information. Also knowing that I will be coming in with the 25 days vacation rate is pretty great!

crownvic20
Rookie Member

Postby crownvic20 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Did you end up going? I took 1 year LWOP from the CBSA and start on Monday.
Border Services Officer

Nick94
Rookie Member

Postby Nick94 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one in this situation. I’ve been invited to Depot this summer and I’ve been trying to figure what’s best for me since then.

John014
King Poobah

Postby John014 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:49 pm

crownvic20 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm
Left CBSA for RCMP over 4 years ago and have never once thought I made the wrong decision.

Good luck in Depot. Play the game, keep your dick in your pants and enjoy the time as it flies by.

Police Officer

NYTO
Rookie Member

Postby NYTO » Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

crownvic20 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm
Hey man ya I ended up delaying a bit but I took the 1 year personal LWOP. Trying it out and seeing how things go. Hope you're liking it so far. Feel free to send me a personal message.

HonorInfinite
Rookie Member

Postby HonorInfinite » Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 am

Hi All,

I am also planning on doing the transition from CBSA to RCMP. If anybody could give me a message, I have a couple questions I would like to ask.

Thanks Everyone!

John014
King Poobah

Postby John014 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

HonorInfinite wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 am
Hi All,

I am also planning on doing the transition from CBSA to RCMP. If anybody could give me a message, I have a couple questions I would like to ask.

Thanks Everyone!
pm sent

Police Officer

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Sun May 12, 2019 5:50 am

Hey folks, I’ve heard you can receive your regular salary while at depot. I guess that is untrue? Also, seniority doesn’t transfer towards your retirement date?
Corrections Officer

Stripes

Postby Stripes » Sun May 12, 2019 10:56 am

No salary at depot, as there is no secondment agreement.

Your time in counts as pensionable service, but not years of service in the force. So you still have to do a full 25 years of service with the force, but when you pull the pin after that you may have “extra” pensionable time. Example:

12 years with CBSA and then jumped to RCMP. Still have to do 25 years of service with the RCMP, but if this person retires at 25 years they will retire with the pension entitlements of someone who did 37 years. Hope that kind of makes sense.

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Sun May 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Stripes wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:56 am
No salary at depot, as there is no secondment agreement.

Your time in counts as pensionable service, but not years of service in the force. So you still have to do a full 25 years of service with the force, but when you pull the pin after that you may have “extra” pensionable time. Example:

12 years with CBSA and then jumped to RCMP. Still have to do 25 years of service with the RCMP, but if this person retires at 25 years they will retire with the pension entitlements of someone who did 37 years. Hope that kind of makes sense.
That make a lot of sense, thanks.

I’m off to Rigaud in July, I’ve been trying to look up the CBSA pension but all I can find is from several years ago so it may be outdated. From my understanding CBSA does an 85 factor or a minimum of 55 years old. Me being 22 years old, I would have to put in about 33 years. So if I went to RCMP within 8 years I would still get my pension at the same time. (And have some pensionable years on top?)

I don’t know if you are former CBSA and you’re probably not the person I should be bugging about pension questions. Any input on whether that sounds correct would be welcomed though.
Corrections Officer