Furniture, storage, and Depot

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
steen15
Rookie Member

Furniture, storage, and Depot

Postby steen15 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Looking for an answer for a rather specific question, has anyone, mainly those who have already gone thru Depot, put their belongings in storage. I am currently in the military posted in Ottawa and living in military housing. This is going to force me to place my furniture and belongings in storage while at depot. For those who have done this, do you have any tips that would make the process easiest for when the moving company goes to get the stuff after depot. I don't have any family in Ottawa but a couple of other military members will have "signing authority" for the storage unit to release my stuff to the moving company.

Leeworthy
Rookie Member

Re: Furniture, storage, and Depot

Postby Leeworthy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Do you have financial means to keep your PMQ? If so I would request from CFHA to do so as that would alleviate you having to put things into storage. Just a thought. Or, another COA is to have a friend who needs a place move in while you are away, then your stuff could stay there free of charge, they pay the rent to you, you pay it to CFHA and then move it from your PMQ upon posting from Depot??
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

steen15
Rookie Member

Postby steen15 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Leeworthy wrote:Do you have financial means to keep your PMQ? If so I would request from CFHA to do so as that would alleviate you having to put things into storage. Just a thought. Or, another COA is to have a friend who needs a place move in while you are away, then your stuff could stay there free of charge, they pay the rent to you, you pay it to CFHA and then move it from your PMQ upon posting from Depot??

CFHA that would be an option but with PSP housing out here thats a no go. I appreciate the input but that's why I was specifically asking for people who have done Depot with their F&E in storage.

Kermode
Rookie Member

Postby Kermode » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 am

I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving out before Depot and won't have an address, and I'm keeping my belongings at various friends and families homes, so my stuff won't be in the same location. I'm not sure how that's going to work when the movers move my belongings.

steen15
Rookie Member

Postby steen15 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Kermode wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving out before Depot and won't have an address, and I'm keeping my belongings at various friends and families homes, so my stuff won't be in the same location. I'm not sure how that's going to work when the movers move my belongings.

So for that I do know the movers will only "load" from one location. If your stuff is scattered you'll have to consolidate it all in one location before the movers show up.

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 pm

steen15 wrote:Looking for an answer for a rather specific question, has anyone, mainly those who have already gone thru Depot, put their belongings in storage. I am currently in the military posted in Ottawa and living in military housing. This is going to force me to place my furniture and belongings in storage while at depot. For those who have done this, do you have any tips that would make the process easiest for when the moving company goes to get the stuff after depot. I don't have any family in Ottawa but a couple of other military members will have "signing authority" for the storage unit to release my stuff to the moving company.

Giving someone access to your storage unit is a good idea. During one of the troop's relocation sessions, cadets are asked to provide a survey of their household effects so the moving company can best prepare logistics for the move. You may need to have someone check on your unit in case you can't recall everything that is in storage.

As for items in storage that are already packed, the movers/packers may need to repack your household effects. If something breaks that they didn't pack, insurance may not cover it. Insurance may also not cover items that have been held in outdoor storage.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:59 pm

As a member of the military, be aware of the following.

The RCMP has two relocation policies: the Newly Engaged Member policy (for new constables fresh out of Depot) and the Relocation Directive (for existing employees moving to a subsequent posting). The latter has slightly more coverage.

Most applicants - and therefore most of the information on this forum - are only concerned with the NEM, but members of the Canadian Forces and federal employees may qualify for the Relocation Directive.

This will all be discussed in a relocation session seven weeks before graduation. Members of the CF should make sure they have proof of employment.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

steen15
Rookie Member

Postby steen15 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for all the info, it's really appreciated!

mewllo
Rookie Member

Postby mewllo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 pm

For the military folks bring a copy of your MPRR as that is what they wanted to see for proof of Federal employment (at least for me).

steen15
Rookie Member

Postby steen15 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Perfect, I was hoping I wouldn't need to lug a copy of my whole pers file with me to Regina, MPRR much simpler to bring.

chmor
Rookie Member

Postby chmor » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:21 pm

mewllo wrote:For the military folks bring a copy of your MPRR as that is what they wanted to see for proof of Federal employment (at least for me).
Why did they want your MPRR if you dont mind me asking?
RPAL - Jan 12
Applied - Feb 20
OTEE - Mar 20
Interview - Aug 20(Passed)
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
PARE: TBD
Security: TBD
OITP:??
Rigaud: If lucky

Kermode
Rookie Member

Postby Kermode » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:41 pm

mewllo wrote:For the military folks bring a copy of your MPRR as that is what they wanted to see for proof of Federal employment (at least for me).
I'm assuming the newly created Veteran's service card can be used as proof of employment at Depot? Depot Web?

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... -card.html

mewllo
Rookie Member

Postby mewllo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 am

Kermode wrote:
I'm assuming the newly created Veteran's service card can be used as proof of employment at Depot? Depot Web?

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... -card.html
I don’t believe it would as it doesn’t differentiate between service in the Regular Forces and the Reserves. I initially provided my Certificate of Service as proof of employment and that wasn’t detailed enough for them.