brit cop looking to move

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Britcop25
Rookie Member

brit cop looking to move

Postby Britcop25 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Hello All,

I am a current serving police officer within the UK,
I am looking into ascertaining my permanent residency status for Canada and moving out there.
Once I have the PR status I understand I can start applying for police officer recruit job posting for Canadian police departments.

Does anyone know from their current force or another force they know of that supports UK police transferees….?
I completely understand id have to start from the beginning which Im happy with.

Any help is much appreciated thanks!

Cheers
joe

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Re: brit cop looking to move

Postby MasterPlanMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Edmonton and Calgary are full of Brits. To be honest, there's ex-pats in probably every major service. Here's a link with steps once you get PR status:

http://www.joineps.ca/ApplicationProcess/InternationalApplicants.aspx

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Britcop25 wrote:Hello All,

I am a current serving police officer within the UK,
I am looking into ascertaining my permanent residency status for Canada and moving out there.
Once I have the PR status I understand I can start applying for police officer recruit job posting for Canadian police departments.

Does anyone know from their current force or another force they know of that supports UK police transferees….?
I completely understand id have to start from the beginning which Im happy with.

Any help is much appreciated thanks!

Cheers
joe

Hey,

I work with a fellow whom was an officer in the UK and Australia. He had to go through all the steps, right from the start. That includes getting your ATS certification (Ontario services require it, except OPP), interviewing, etc.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:Hey,

I work with a fellow whom was an officer in the UK and Australia. He had to go through all the steps, right from the start. That includes getting your ATS certification (Ontario services require it, except OPP), interviewing, etc.

Jesus, UK cop to Australian cop to Canadian cop? Crossing off all the colonies?

Britcop25
Rookie Member

Postby Britcop25 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 am

Thank you so much guys.

What are the thoughts on English cops out there?

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am

Britcop25 wrote:Thank you so much guys.

There's so many of them here in Edmonton, no one gives it a second thought. They're all relatively senior now though, the big recruitment pushes from the UK were over a decade ago. And of course Dan Woodall, formerly of Greater Manchester Police, was loved and is missed. There is a park and school named in his honour.

You have nothing to worry about when it comes to what others will think of you, your experience will be seen as a benefit.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 am

Their accents are fantastic over the air. :smirk:

Seriously though, I don't think it really matters as long as you do your job and aren't a plug.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."