Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
John014
Seasoned Member

Re: Fire to police

Postby John014 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 am

otwobjj wrote:New officers are expected to clear from calls as fast as possible; especially if it's busy, so that they can clear senior officers off crappy calls or jump on calls in their respective zones.

That does not mean doing a domestic paper on your own time. But it does mean Coming in early for Admin stuff and doing Collision reports on your own time so that you are 10-8 during the shift..
Where do you work? That is BS.
Admin can be done on shift. Reports can be done on shift. You are screwing the membership by showing up on VOT to do paperwork as you show we don't actually need more members because the X amount we have can do it all in their shift.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:55 am

[

Admin can be done on shift. Reports can be done on shift. You are screwing the membership by showing up on VOT to do paperwork as you show we don't actually need more members because the X amount we have can do it all in their shift.
Essentially you're making a bad system work. I work in a very busy division and we usually run exceptionally short and this is never expected of us. I'll drop a report to back up others or attend a hotshot, but I've never been expected to do anything for free.....in fact, the rare time I actually get my lunch, my sgt would give me shit if I tried doing my paperwork during it.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:45 am

devilwoman wrote:
[

Essentially you're making a bad system work. I work in a very busy division and we usually run exceptionally short and this is never expected of us. I'll drop a report to back up others or attend a hotshot, but I've never been expected to do anything for free.....in fact, the rare time I actually get my lunch, my sgt would give me shit if I tried doing my paperwork during it.
PS "rarely getting a lunch" is VOT...
Take your lunch or claim the OT.
We deserve breaks and down time.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 am

Yeah, I know. We get a "no lunch hour taken" and it gets banked in our cashable time. I never work for free.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm

devilwoman wrote:

Yeah, I know. We get a "no lunch hour taken" and it gets banked in our cashable time. I never work for free.

Same here. I am guilty of doing stuff for free when I started but that is over. It actually is unfair to the membership as a whole.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:58 pm

It usually happens to fresh members as they feel obligated and pressured to keep up, especially when you are running balls to the wall and have 20 to 40 DDs. Some people are bad at time management and/or are so busy to point they can’t keep up and will end up hearing from management or PSU to get it done. If it gets bad, that member will eventually end up being benched and that creates more pressure as calls keep coming and your watch is short now.

You get deffinatly pressured by people if you can’t keep up and aren’t able to do your share of the work. Pressure adds up when dispatch often clears you from briefing, your coffee, your lunch breaks or from when you are driving back to go home.

At RCMP, a lot of pepole don’t claim OT for the time it takes to gear up or gear down or if they are a few minutes late getting back. It is also frowned upon to try to count your breaks as OT if you never got it etc.

Hopefully this will change soon.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Quick update, still chasing the dream here...

Anyone else in a similar situation, switching from one or another emergency service to policing, and how have your experiences been after you've switched?

Always curious to see how people find it after the are in the role! Let me know!

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:26 pm

If your in a FF career, and you'd like to have a taste of police why don't your volunteer as a reserve or auxiliary constable? Might be able to get a feel for it, and see if its worth it. I know its obviously not the same as being a full fledged constable but it might scratch your itch. Maybe it will even be permanent side position you fall in love with.

Lots of careers can consider that kind of volunteering a "Conflict of Interest" but I'm sure your good as fire.

Last word: It doesn't hurt to submit an application and get it going. Better to take the opportunity and turn it down then to never have tried at all.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:26 pm
If your in a FF career, and you'd like to have a taste of police why don't your volunteer as a reserve or auxiliary constable? Might be able to get a feel for it, and see if its worth it. I know its obviously not the same as being a full fledged constable but it might scratch your itch. Maybe it will even be permanent side position you fall in love with.

Lots of careers can consider that kind of volunteering a "Conflict of Interest" but I'm sure your good as fire.

Last word: It doesn't hurt to submit an application and get it going. Better to take the opportunity and turn it down then to never have tried at all.
You're absolutely right. I had very much considered a position on a service as auxiliary, however after a long time thinking, I found myself genuinely more interested in a policing career rather than that of fire. Time will tell

Batman10
Rookie Member

Postby Batman10 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:57 am

You're absolutely right. I had very much considered a position on a service as auxiliary, however after a long time thinking, I found myself genuinely more interested in a policing career rather than that of fire. Time will tell
[/quote]

Wow I'm surprised you'd consider policing over fire lol. Usually it's the other way around. Fire has a more relaxed culture with good pay. Good luck though! Some older very intelligent folks I've seen have quit some pretty boring but longterm careers making 100k+ a year just to join policing. If the itch is there, nothing can stop you.

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 am

Batman10 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:57 am
Wow I'm surprised you'd consider policing over fire lol. Usually it's the other way around. Fire has a more relaxed culture with good pay. Good luck though! Some older very intelligent folks I've seen have quit some pretty boring but longterm careers making 100k+ a year just to join policing. If the itch is there, nothing can stop you.
[/quote]

Haha like you said, if the itch is there! I just can't see myself continuing for another X amount of years until retirement in a job that isn't quite what I've aimed for. Not saying it isn't fantastic, just isn't entirely for me

10thgear
Rookie Member

Postby 10thgear » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:37 am

Rob4613 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Anyone else in a similar situation, switching from one or another emergency service to policing, and how have your experiences been after you've switched?

Always curious to see how people find it after the are in the role! Let me know!
Been going through the same thing here! I actually have always wanted to be a police officer since I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents didn't agree with it and talked me out of it a long time ago 2 weeks before I was ready to apply to Police Foundations (I lied to them as said I was doing a different course).
After many years of doing just regular jobs, I was convinced to look into Fire. Loved the training aspect and the idea of it. Worked my butt off with constant learning and riding the wave. Anyways. Has gotten to the point that although I love Fire, its a career where there's not a lot of growth available when moving up ranks due to my age.
Going through the hiring process with Police just feels right.

Rob4613
Rookie Member

Postby Rob4613 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:42 am

10thgear wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:37 am
Rob4613 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Been going through the same thing here! I actually have always wanted to be a police officer since I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents didn't agree with it and talked me out of it a long time ago 2 weeks before I was ready to apply to Police Foundations (I lied to them as said I was doing a different course).
After many years of doing just regular jobs, I was convinced to look into Fire. Loved the training aspect and the idea of it. Worked my butt off with constant learning and riding the wave. Anyways. Has gotten to the point that although I love Fire, its a career where there's not a lot of growth available when moving up ranks due to my age.
Going through the hiring process with Police just feels right.
Hey, I'd love to connect with you about this! It seems as though we are the minority when it comes to our career choices :P

Rookie Member

Postby 24750 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Appreciate your sincerity and discussion on this topic.

I am also a first responder who is considering a career change to police. I work as a paramedic, and have been working on the road for four years now. Currently, I work for one of the bigger GTA services.

To be upfront, paramedicine was not my first choice. I did my police foundations and criminology back when I was in college with full intentions of pursuing policing as a career. That never ended up happening :( , and I moved onto paramedicine :thumbsup: .

I have always regretted not taking on the recruitment process, as I feel I am much more suited for a position in policing. It's where my passion truly lies. I've had the unique opportunity to see the job from the frontline (to some degree, I'm aware I only see a small amount of what police actually do day to day) but from what I have seen, I'm much more interested in policing vs. my job as a paramedic. always chatting with officers to learn more about the job and how it's evolving/changing with current practices.

like you, job satisfaction is the main driver for me, and 20-30 years is a long time to not have the job satisfaction we should have. Paramedicine is a fabulous career, likewise so is fire, but it's just not what I’ve always wanted to do and im always asking myself, why I haven’t applied yet.

Starting again with a new employer and "work family" will not be easy, but I know in my heart it would be for the right reasons and with the right intentions.

I will be applying in the spring of 2021. Currently working on my fitness, organizing all my credentials, references, and all the prep work I need to be ready for a spring application.

if you ever want to chat, PM me. always willing to bounce ideas around.